LegacyGT.com

Vibration at 50 mph+

05BluePearlGT

Its not the wheel bearing. Ive had one go bad on this car before. It could be the tires. The tread indicator is not showing yet, and I havent hit any curbs (other than going 2mph in a parking lot, lol). Car doesnt pull to any side, alignment is good. The tires are needing replacement, which I will do tomorrow. But Im not sure its the tires. I am on the stock RE-92s at 20,000 miles. And the fronts are about gone, never been rotated, oops.

Anybody know where to get a good deal on 2 re-92's, or does anybody know of something else I should check. Im just worried driving on it. I need to replace the tires first thing in the morning.

Does this sound like tread wear sounds? Its louder when going faster, and I cant hear much below 50. Its pretty quiet, I cant hear it at all.

Don't buy a new set of RE92's. There is so much more out there for less.

Check the classified section on the forum, RE92 are all over there. I got one from a forum member.

If you want the quietest tire, go with the Yokahoma AVS Db S2 tire. Its a high perf tire and engineered to be quiet.

I replaced all 4's with some hella CRAPPY tires. Its all I wanted to spend right now. They will work for now though. I have Kumho Ecsta AST's. They lost traction on 30mph turns, where the re-92s bald would take it til 40 or so. I had to avoid an accident yesterday going 40mph. Somebody was coming into my lane. I switched to the right, and all 4 tires lost traction. It would not have done that on the re-92's. i will be getting rid of this crap VERY SOON! The tread design looked pretty good though, so it was a big suprise. i definately dont know my tires though, and its all i could spend right now.

And the sound is still there! The wheels oculd be balanced badly. It took them 15-20 minutes to take off/put new wheels on and be done. I felt a little uneasy with that. It usually takes longer. So more than likely, they did a quick balancing, due to it being after 6pm, their closing. I am gonna bring the car back monday, and have them redo it. I feel its the differential, though. I can not hear it with the windows down at all. you can hear a slight hum/vibratio nat 50mph+, much louder at 70, not too loud though. I can feel it slightly through the pedal as well. Just a little vibration, and you hear a little hum.

It doesnt sound like a wheel bearing at all. Mine was just starting to go bad on my front wheel, and I had it replaced. So I know the sound on this car. This is much quieter. And the wheel bearing was very quiet. They could not hear it at all, but took my word for it, and fixed it under warranty. it worked and has been quiet since. So it was not even a normal LOUD busted wheel bearing sound when it went on me.

Any recommendations? I think I should just bring it to Subaru on Monday, and have them drive on the freeway with me to let them feel/hear it. They'll fix it under warranty Im sure.

Max difference between tires allowed is 1/4" circumference, which is slightly over 1/32" tread depth - if you can visibly see a difference, you're way over that. Your center diff won't be happy...

I could see a MAJOR difference in the fr and rr wheels. I didnt know it could cause damage to the tranny/diff on AWD cars. damn. Thanks for the heads up. Ill see if thats it, and get it fixed, and NOT FORGET TO ROTATE MY TIRES AGAIN! plus I dont wanna keep buying new shoes.

Keep in mind brand new tires will be pretty slick until you break them in a bit, the mold release compound needs to wear off :)

Drive a hundred miles & see if you still hate them, also check the air pressure if you haven't already.

^ +1 :)

And experiment with different pressures, too, to see where your new rubbers' sweet spot happens to be. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

My Kumho's were great on my Vic. for the money anyways, and way better than stock. Worn in, they are a little better. And the tire pressure from Discount Tire was 28psi, 32psi, 38psi, and 43 psi. GHEY! So I fixed that, and they grip much better. I have them at 42psi, it says 50 is max on these. So between breaking them in, and correcting the psi. Its much better. Bad news on the noise though. I just rebalanced my tires, since they were WAY WAY off from the first DT I used. So I went to a different Discount Tire, and they were much better. They fixed them all, took their time (took 10 minutes the first time to get my old tires off and new ones on/balanced with me on my way, not good), they are rebalanced, they checked PSI, was good.

But the noise is still there. I brought my car to Subaru for a free car wash this morning, and told the girl that works there about the noise. She said its probably from the bald front tires, and she said the techs should have rotated my tires for me anyways. So its all under warranty, olus she noticed my ebrake and steering wheel (momo) coming apart. So she said she will get that fixed as well. I didnt even point it out to her, lol. They are awesome people at Steven Jory Subaru. So I dont need to worry about it. They will fix it free. The noise is getting real loud from 50-80mph especially. I dont hear much below that.

its not the bearing. Ive heard what a bad wheel bearing sounds like on this car. Its not when stopping, I dont hear the noise. its NOT louder next to a wall. It doesnt make a grind noise like the wheel bearing would. I dont hear it at low speeds. And from 50-75mph its pretty bad, than is not longer audible above 75, nor can I feel it. Its not the bearing.

My ex drove a jeep, which needed the diff replaced/rebuilt more than 6 times. This is the EXACT same feel/sound as the jeep made. I am quite sure its the center diff. Ill post back with a response of what it is shortly. Im going across the street to Suby to bring a tech for a ride to listen/feel. Im going out of town for 13 or so days, so this is a good time to have it fixed. And they'll keep my car locked up at night, im sure. Ill talk to them about that.

.....watch it be the bearing, lol...... (im sure its not, lol)

whent hey replaced my bearing, it wouldnt make a noise until after 45+ and at around 70 plus it pretty much just goes away, at the same speeds you can feel it too...but ya i dunno im prolly wrong, just wondering tho, why havent you taken it to the dealer?

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

aftermarket wheels?

if so, make sure they have the correct hubcentric adapters. i had similar problems when the retailer sent the wrong rings and the wheel didn't fit flush with the hub.

just a thought.

Its not the wheel bearing. Ive had one go bad on this car before. It could be the tires. The tread indicator is not showing yet, and I havent hit any curbs (other than going 2mph in a parking lot, lol). Car doesnt pull to any side, alignment is good. The tires are needing replacement, which I will do tomorrow. But Im not sure its the tires. I am on the stock RE-92s at 20,000 miles. And the fronts are about gone, never been rotated, oops.

Anybody know where to get a good deal on 2 re-92's, or does anybody know of something else I should check. Im just worried driving on it. I need to replace the tires first thing in the morning.

Does this sound like tread wear sounds? Its louder when going faster, and I cant hear much below 50. Its pretty quiet, I cant hear it at all.

sounds like tires to me

So i brought the car to the dealer today....I waited cuz Ive been so busy with work/family. They were trying to tell me the wheel bearing, than I said I didnt think so. They put the car up on the lift, and put it in gear and hit the gas. They were under the car, and said it was not a wheel bearing. But it was actually an exhaust leak. The shop that took my resonator off my exhaust did a crappy job welding it backup. I havent gone on the freeway since they fixed it, so 60 is the fastest Ive gone (in a 50mph speed limit, i dont like speeding around here). I have not heard the sound like before yet. I think the new tires are louder, and its just my exhaust for what little tone I hear now. Im oging to pick my kids up in an hour, so Ill see how it sounds on the freeway. Im pretty sure it was just the exhaust. Im glad my family was all ok with it as well. I was a little pissed off when I found that out. And I told the owner of the shop I have kids and dont want it leaking this time. So he went out and did it himself. The car actually sounds a LOT NICER than with the leak, lol. It sounds much meaner, less cracking, but a very nice boxer rumble. I have a catless DP and CAI, but there was no rumble to my car (I know intakes wont add that sound, lol) still. So I had the resonator removed for a straight pipe.

I highly recommend doing this to anybody who doesnt want to pay 1500 bucks for an exhaust. Cost me 25, but was quoted 60 from this shop. The owner hooked me up after talking for a while, but he didnt work on the car the first time. So 60 bucks is average to get it done, and it will give your car a nice low rumble. You will definately hear this much more than a DP, but my DP added some nice gains, which is why I got it.

Enough ranting...

Archived