LegacyGT.com

WAXING: what do you use?

S100 is good for at least 6 weeks. Applying it once a month will keep it looking good for sure.

You should wait at least 24 hours after your last coat of sealant before putting anything else on the car. Keep in mind that you can't use a sealant on top of a wax. The oils in the wax won't let the sealant bond and you would just be wasting product.

I got the Wolf Gang sealant but haven't used it yet. My car is getting some touch up paint work, thanks to an A-hole with a key. Can you put the s100 on top of a sealant? Do you need a Pre-sealant then a sealant or can you just use a sealant after Wash?

Denial is your best friend

OC Details....i thought that S100 doesn't last that long? I selected Wolfgang's synthetic as it will outlast S100 with similar if not the same results. I love Wolfgang's stuff! Car feels like butter.

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/wococarca.html

I forget who I ordered from buy I got 10% off when entering "legacy".

(get a kit that includes the clay bar, polish and wax)

That picture is totally a product of lighting and angles. It is a black car in the shade reflecting a brightly lit background. That really doesn't have much to do with the product and has more to do with tricky photography. I've done the same thing when I really want a good money shot. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/DSC02661.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/DSC02663.jpg

Granted that the product does have something to do with that, but it is mostly the lighting and the angle.

3M has been making car care products for a lot of years. Perfect-It is their professional line of polishes and glazes. I haven't seen their wax yet, but based on the quality of their polishes and other products, I am sure it is a good product. If it is a liquid wax then there isn't much point in layering it. Liquid waxes have solvents in them to liquify the carnauba and make it usable. Those solvents clean the paint and basically remove previous layers of wax when you try to stack it. So don't bother trying to layer liquid waxes. The jury is still out on whether or not you can layer paste waxes, but my feeling is that if you just stick to putting a layer on once a month then you are going to always have a sharp looking car.

You can top a sealant with a wax just fine. Even the liquid waxes will work on a sealant. The solvent content is low enough that it won't remove the sealant. Carnauba is weaker and that is why it doesn't layer well.

S100 lasts around 6 weeks depending on the conditions. Obviously if it is a black car parked in the sun all day in Vegas it will last less than someone who parks in a garage all day and works graveyards. This is why I suggest waxing your car once a month. Regardless of the conditions your car is exposed to, most waxes will protect for at least 4 weeks. Maybe between 3 and 4 weeks depending on the temperature and other extreme enviornmental conditions, but for the most part you are safe up to 4 weeks and beyond. Sealants typically last 8 to 12 weeks. Modern polymer technologies are really extending the durability of the sealant. I don't really care too much anyway since I clay and polish the car two or three times a year.

http://www.detailcity.com is the store to go to with our discount. :)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

OCD, when you use that Wolfgang product, you layer it. Is it a sealant that you're using or a wax (or are they the same thing)? I only ask because the 3M product is locally available, whereas the other products i'd have to order in.

I'm a bit confused about the curing process as well; say I wash my car, polish it if I have to and I'm about to put on my wax. Do I put on a layer of wax, let it dry for 24 hours and then buff off or do I wait however long the instructions say to wait before removing the wax, and then not apply anything else ontop for another 24 hours (another layer of wax for example). What's the difference between "curing" and "buffing off"?

I'm also a bit confused with the wax layering process: assuming that i've waxed the car, taken off the excess material, and have waited the 24 hours required before applying a new layer; do I have to wash the car again before applying a new coat of wax, or can I just apply a coat of wax right away?

curing is different than drying. Curing is a hardening process where the product sets up. Kind of like paint. You can paint something and it will dry pretty fast. But it isn't dry enough to survive you rubbing very hard. You have to wait for the paint to cure and fully harden. That is what the sealant has to do. If you layer it before it has cured then it hasn't fully bonded to the paint and you lose durability. Waxes don't exactly need to cure since they aren't synthetics like sealants are. This thread might help you out a bit. I've got info on layering on my website too.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I usually have my girl use ductape, I find it removes the maximum amount of hair with minimal amount of irritaion to her :lol:

By the man who has never waxed his car:lol:

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I've been using the entire NXT line since I purchased the car.

My neighbor is very impressed with ICE.....I will give it a shot on sunday. Anyone have much experience with it?

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I've been curious about it. Haven't tried it yet though. There are too many products on the shelf these days. It is too hard (not to mention expensive) to buy everything that comes out anymore. :lol:

OCDETAILS BLOG

Yup. Have used and do like. I only throw it on in the winter though. It is a most durable acrylic sealant, but I prefer the appearance of polymer sealants during the summer.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I just got my S100 in the mail today and am now going to look into a sealant. Everything I've been reading about WG has me pretty swayed, but like a lot of folks here, I don't have a ton of time to spend detailing my car. As OCD has suggested, I do view my new Subaru as an investment and can appreciate its value as a potential trade-in or private sale down the road.

That said, I'm hoping the S100/WG sealant (or vice versa, I guess) combo will provide me fairly durable, attractive results. I also picked up the Prestone product OCD likes for the carpets and am still looking around for one of those fancy window cleaners (Target didn't have any). I'll pick up the WG leather care stuff from detailcity if their price beats Amazon.

Now if it'll just stop raining around here I can get some work done. :)

Be careful with what you do... You want to apply the sealant first, and then wax, if at all. Depending on the sealant, a coat of wax on top may dull the shine. Such is the case with Menzerna FMJ. In these cases, just layer the sealant for extra shine/depth/whatever.

http://www.properautocare.com/menzernafmj.html

I buy all my stuff from the above site, BTW. Great selection, but they don't carry Wolfgang. In fact, I had never heard of that product line until I started reading these forums.

Wolfgang may not dull when wax is added on top. No idea on that one...

I've found that topping Wolfgang with a wax will actually take away from the appearance. I don't know that 'dull' is what i would call it, but it definitely doesn't enhance the appearance any. http://www.DetailCity.com is where I get my Wolfgang from. They are a forum vendor and we get a 10% discount here, so they are worth shopping through.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived