LegacyGT.com

Is More Gas Better??

Gasoline weighs roughly 6lbs per gallon, depending on the temperature. Driving with a half tank may save ~40-50 pounds.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Its prob because it weighs less at 1/2 tank.

I've hear you Auto-X with half tank and you drag with...1/4 (i think)

I run 1/4 tank for autox and full tank for track.. the car hits fuel starve.. but the car runs best when it's at 1/2 tank.. after the half tank, I "think" the fuel pump is sitting only half in the fuel.. which it uses the fuel to keep the fuel pump cool...

A few STi owners burned out their fuel pumps from running low at the track...not a good idea.

Keefe

Gasoline weighs roughly 6lbs per gallon, depending on the temperature. Driving with a half tank may save ~40-50 pounds.

yea, around here in MD area, it's closer to 7 lbs a gallon.. so 7lbs/gal x 8 gallons = 56 lbs.. and when you take out the spare tire and tools, it comes around to close to 90 lbs of savings in the rear..

Keefe

Perhaps this can the the solution to MPG complainers. Run 1/2 tank. :lol:

I do find the car quite a bit more responsive with lower fuel due to the weight. Very nimble, although with a full tank, stop and go traffic is not so jerky when pushing on the pedal.

I do find that the fuel light goes on quite fast. When I go to fuel up I believe there is usually 10 litres or roughly 2.6 gallons left in the tank.

that's so funny...I put Conoco 91 octane and car drives better than on 93 octane Mobil (that's cause I had no choice).

Yes car responds best at 1/2 tank...and that's where I usually keep it...between 1/4 and 1/2...helps with fuel economy too...

How many of you have ran the car to 0 miles for estimated range?

Are you saying there is still around 2 gallons left @ that time?

Once my light flashes it is time for me;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

The DTE will never show 0 miles. It changes to --- once you get past 20 miles I believe. I've driven about 50 miles past the point it went to --- at least once.

phoenix96

See...I've never seen the --- reading

Once it goes to that setting we still have a little over 2 gallons?

What bothers me is our fuel tanks have NO baffling....while taking a corner @ speed it's a great way to lose a fuel pump:(

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

The DTE will never show 0 miles. It changes to --- once you get past 20 miles I believe. I've driven about 50 miles past the point it went to --- at least once.

I've taken it past --- sometimes, though with the tank mounted permanent fuel-filter it prob. isn't the greatest idea.:rolleyes:

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

So have you seen 20, 30, or 40 on the display?

I thought the display goes to --- after it drops to 40 (shows 50 for 10 miles). Usually that's around the time the light comes on which is supposed to be less than 2 gallons (1.8 I think)

The most I think I've ever put in is about 16.1 and our tank is 16.9 gal, usually it's around 14-15 gallons. I figure I may as well get the tank replaced earlier so I can put an inline filter in at that point!

And also I think the 1/2 mark is more like a 1/4 anyway :/ Yet there's still like 2.5 gallons at empty. It's like they need to scare drivers to buy fuel, I'd like to know how much is in there now!

probably made the floater sit really low along with keeping the fuel pump wet.

Keefe

I ran mine MANY times until it read "-- miles" on the readout... that poor thing is a bad estimate since it's based on your previous runs with the car.

A good example is me running the car on the road track and getting 7 mpg... with a 1/4 to go, the readout said I had only 60 miles left in the tank.. I know that 1/4 of a tank is a good 4 to gallons in there that can get my another good 100 miles of slow driving. Lowest readout on the screen for me was 30 miles to go and then is blanks out. I usually just call it quits for the day once I am down to 1/4 in the tank.. or I just go fill up if I still have a ton more track time to use. 5 to 7 mpg at 12 gallons can come up around 60 to 85 miles on the track for the day.. I usually can squeeze out anywhere from 85 to 120 miles on a given track day (depending on how easy I want to take it).

I have filled up my car before to 17 gallons.. all the way to the neck. I had a post up on that before...

Keefe

So have you seen 20, 30, or 40 on the display?

I thought the display goes to --- after it drops to 40 (shows 50 for 10 miles). Usually that's around the time the light comes on which is supposed to be less than 2 gallons (1.8 I think)

The most I think I've ever put in is about 16.1 and our tank is 16.9 gal, usually it's around 14-15 gallons. I figure I may as well get the tank replaced earlier so I can put an inline filter in at that point!

I've definitely seen the DTE indicator show 30, and I'm pretty sure I remember it showing 20 at one point. But other times, it'll go to --- considerably earlier. Maybe sometimes it decides that it can't accurately estimate anymore based on your current MPG?

I've never done like Xenonk and filled our 16.9 gallon tank with 17 gallons, but I've filled up with 16.5 gallons before.

phoenix96

I ran it down to -- once and I was on the Interstate.Drove approx 3 miles to get gas and it stilled only hit 15.1 gallons. Scary at first because I didn't know what the hell -- meant.

• 3 weeks later...
I've definitely seen the DTE indicator show 30, and I'm pretty sure I remember it showing 20 at one point. But other times, it'll go to --- considerably earlier. Maybe sometimes it decides that it can't accurately estimate anymore based on your current MPG?

I've never done like Xenonk and filled our 16.9 gallon tank with 17 gallons, but I've filled up with 16.5 gallons before.

I confirmed yesterday that the DTE indicator can show 20. In fact it showed 20 for almost 10 miles before switching to "---". I proceeded to drive another 17 miles before filling up (the needle on the fuel gauge was past the Empty line). The tank took 15.7 gallons at that point.

phoenix96

Holy shit you guys have balls. I've always filled up when light goes on... which is 2.6 gallons acc. to the manual. I've never filled more than 13.9 gallons.

:lol:

The low fuel light came on when the DTE gauge was showing 60. I drove about 70 miles past that and still only filled up 15.7 gallons. That's disappointing. I could have driven another ~25 miles at least!

I've put 18.6 gallons into my SVX before (it has an 18.5 gallon tank).

phoenix96

I drive past -- all the time...Cause I have gauged it to where I know it will pretty much be empty, and that is about 50miles past --

Usually, the end of the tank is the funnest drive for me...

You guys say its bad though, eh? :confused: Hmm...havent had a problem yet...

I drive past -- all the time...Cause I have gauged it to where I know it will pretty much be empty, and that is about 50miles past --

Usually, the end of the tank is the funnest drive for me...

You guys say its bad though, eh? :confused: Hmm...havent had a problem yet...

I guess you enjoy visualizing your fuel pump sucking up all the debris from the bottom of your fuel tank.

Soon, you'll ve posting about the lousy fuel pump and filter in your Legacy.

Archived