LegacyGT.com

Outback beats Volvo XC70 and Saab 9-5

In yesterdays swedish tv program 'Motorist' the battle was between Subaru Outback, Volvo XC70 and Saab 9-5. All wagon cars and the test involved pulling a horse-wagon and some regular driving. Before the test they thought the Volvo would win, but in the end their new love was the Outback :)

Ofcourse, we at legacygt.com allready knew this ;)

http://svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=49632&a=598978&lid=puff_599014&lpos=lasMer

Man I don't understand Swedish but after seeing that I have come to the conclusion ONCE AGAIN that our car shows suck. Ask yourself would car&driver or motertrend tv ever show a car actually getting stuck and then show another test model doing better in exactly the same situation. NO.

In short what it all was about was this woman, horseowner and going to different shows and contests. The reporter(the man) had 3 different cars which he graded. On third place the Saab on Second the Volvo and the winner is..

They tried out different situations you wind up in. As you could see the Saab got stuck as soon as you saw mud, the Volvo managed to get them out of the situation. With the Outback he told her to stop in the mud and the to see if she could get out of it. She said that it was like driving on tarmac.

In the end she told woman #2 that she really loved the big sunroof and that she could tilt the chair down so far she could be sunbathing there.

The wonman also chose the Subaru as her first option, she liked the engine(six cylinder) the adjustability of the chair and she first saw the car as a bit ugly but now she thinks its sporty!! She also thought the interior as stylish and good contact with the road

Guest *Jedimaster*
That blonde piece that sits in the Outback near the end is just my speed. I like how they get the LGT wagon roofracks and that sweet color too!

Yes the Volvo was a D5 diesel, and they also mentioned that Subaru soon will have a diesel engine as option. But anyway the girl didn't like the tractor-sound diesel engine in the Volvo and she said the Outback felt stronger/quicker :)

I agree that the integrated roof-racks on Outback / wgn over here are sweet. The US roofracks are a bit to high not as streamlined...

Subaru section starts around 22:30.

The Volvo was a diesel, no?

Yes it was

What they did'nt like about the Subaru was it's high fuel consumtion and it's high price. The 6 cyl outback costs about $52500 here same with my spec.B

Yes it was

What they did'nt like about the Subaru was it's high fuel consumtion and it's high price. The 6 cyl outback costs about $52500 here same with my spec.B

The price comparison seems a bit skewed since the Volvo and Saab have the home field advantage. I understood the high fuel consumption though. Did they say the Saab used blended ethanol? What is the price of gas in Sweden these days anyway?

Did they reference fuel use as liters / 100km, or?

Volvo wagons in the US usually have a 5 cylinder with turbo, I take it that combination is not available?

Yes as litres/100 km

Of course that version is available, both as the 2.5 T and the T5

The price comparison seems a bit skewed since the Volvo and Saab have the home field advantage. I understood the high fuel consumption though. Did they say the Saab used blended ethanol? What is the price of gas in Sweden these days anyway?

The price is so high since the US ¤ has weakend so much lately compared to our currency(although I still think its to high!!)

Yes the SAAB uses E85

The gas price is about $6.10 per US gallon

Archived