LegacyGT.com

Worst Weekend Ever.. (Help needed/ legal advice)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is nothing wrong with your brakes. It was just slick as ice and the LGT just fails to stop well in these kind of conditions. I tested my LGTs stopping ability on ice extensively this winter. The results were dismal.

What typically happened was that in a skid stop, at low speed (25 mph) the wheels would lock up for 5-15 feet before the ABS would pulse. Even an old bat like me can pump brakes better than that.

There was a lot of press about how Subaru tuned their ABS system to work well for Austrailian dirt/gravel roads. I bet that the US and AUS ABS systems are the same since this kind of ABS pulse works great on dirt but is just dangerous on ice.

So on a narrow Boston road the ABS locked on and before it pulsed you were already off the road.

Sorry about your car, just don't ever rely on your brakes again.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

you guys really need to lay off this kid. Its his first accident and he doesn't know quite what to do and he is looking to us for advice. So stop treating him like some little punk. Now if he drove a civic.......... :)

I drove by the scene today, there are leaves scatterd on the road right where the turn is.

I +1 Enlight's caution on slightly-wet or otherwise surface-compromised roads.

The leaves can be a true deathtrap. Try plucking even a live leaf off a tree, wetting it (and the pavement underneath), and stepping on top of it with your feet. Absolutely no traction - and if you've wet enough pavement (and the pavement is smooth asphalt or other similar surface texture), you can nearly glide on the thing.....

Same goes for your tires - and it doesn't matter if you're riding on RE92s or the absolute best high-dollar summer or all-season treads. It's not the tires - the lack of grip occurs because the leaves are actually sliding themselves.

Other than this word of caution, which itself comes too late, I can only offer my sympathy and condolences, BonB. :( Best of luck with your situation, and I hope things work out for you. :)

i have had some similar episodeS (plural) of severe understeer with the stock rubber at speeds as low as 15mph if you are to sue someone it should be bridgestone for the dangerous tires

^ Check your tire pressures.

For me, with the LGT, the RE92s were extremely sensitive to inflation pressures. Just a couple of PSI off in either direction, and I can have plenty of fun (or scare) in the wet with -EITHER- oversteer or understeer, and I could even modulate the degree of such responses by varying the pressures to my desire.

Certainly, 15 MPH is plenty slow for most driving situations - even cutting a relatively sharp corner. However, depending on the exact cornering conditions, that speed can also said to be "not slow," particularly with a vehicle as heavy as ours.

Remember that the RE92s are an all-season compromise, and one that's specifically equipped by SoA to also give "the average" LGT owner/driver - whose demographic doesn't normally include "enthusiasts" - decent treadlife.

They're not "performance tires."

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

In all the year’s I have been driving I always carried the min insurance on my cars, and paid for damage out of pocket. In the last 17 years I have paid for 2 bumper covers (about $400 with painted), and a nose bra ($70) for my wife’s SUV. I am so many $1,000’s of dollars ahead of the game; I would have to total a car to brake even.

I would not report this to the insurance. Purchase a bumper cover, Pull out the dent in the fender, and have them shot. Or purchase salvaged parts from a wrecked Legacy.

Steve

Steven

No i was not given a ticket from the officer, cause there was no reason to i wasn't speeding.

If the accident was just cosmetic (exterior piece, which most of the accident is) and the front left tire wheel wasn't borked i would pay for it myself but it seems like its gonna be a decent amount of $$. I'm just gonna wait and see what they quote, and ill play it from there.

Thanks agian for the helpfull ones here.

No i was not given a ticket from the officer, cause there was no reason to i wasn't speeding.

If the accident was just cosmetic (exterior piece, which most of the accident is) and the front left tire wheel wasn't borked i would pay for it myself but it seems like its gonna be a decent amount of $$. I'm just gonna wait and see what they quote, and ill play it from there.

Thanks agian for the helpfull ones here.

Get the quote, its free... its the claim that'll kill your premiums. As for the incident itself, the laws of physics won again... sucks but its true. I snagged a guardrail in Boston once in my 89 Sentra trying to make the exit ramp I totally overcooked the corner. In my RS I was WAY overconfident the first winter I had it and curbed several times trying to be a hotshot... all lessons learned.

Also, the driving dynamics of our cars is very different than in a 2wd vehicle. Even on high grip surfaces terminal understeer can be cured by drop throttle oversteer. The #1 mistake most Subie owners make is hitting the brakes, modulate the go-fast pedal to get the car rotating and then drive through the powerslide. I've had my car sideways on the interstate (after hitting a patch of lightly snow covered black ice) and had complete control, steering with the throttle, not the steering wheel. <--- I would not suggest repeating ;)

Hmmmm.....curious. Sounds a-liken you dun got lukky 'n had yerself wunna dem lazy copz....:icon_wink

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Get the quote, its free... its the claim that'll kill your premiums. As for the incident itself, the laws of physics won again... sucks but its true. I snagged a guardrail in Boston once in my 89 Sentra trying to make the exit ramp I totally overcooked the corner. In my RS I was WAY overconfident the first winter I had it and curbed several times trying to be a hotshot... all lessons learned.

Also, the driving dynamics of our cars is very different than in a 2wd vehicle. Even on high grip surfaces terminal understeer can be cured by drop throttle oversteer. The #1 mistake most Subie owners make is hitting the brakes, modulate the go-fast pedal to get the car rotating and then drive through the powerslide. I've had my car sideways on the interstate (after hitting a patch of lightly snow covered black ice) and had complete control, steering with the throttle, not the steering wheel. <--- I would not suggest repeating ;)

+1 on this , but it takes practice. The AWD subie is very much like an old Porsche, formula car or for that matter a Kart. You can practice on off ramps, add power and the car can handle, add brakes or steering (as in counter steer) you will lose it. Just don't over do the go pedal.:icon_twis

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

If you look back at the last 12 months of LGT major accidents posted here, most have been hit by someone else. The 2 kids (anyone born in the 80's is a kid) driving LGT that got into accidents have both been doing under 20 mph before colliding with an inanimate object.

Hmmmm.....curious. Sounds a-liken you dun got lukky 'n had yerself wunna dem lazy copz....:icon_wink

The ticket can easily be fought, no witnesses. What's the point to even write it. Now if the car flipped over 6 times then yeah, but looks like slippage.

At first I thought these accidents were a statistical anomoly but now I'm beginning to wonder what the LGT does differently in slippery conditions under 30mph on a turn thats confounding young drivers.

You're doing the right thing. Get the quote and weigh your options and then go from there.

I read the whole thread and I still can't see what you'd need a lawyer for. If you think some leaves in the road will make the city at fault, good luck with that. It'd have to be enough leaves as to make them negligent in not cleaning them up, and that'd have to be literally a pile of leaves and would still be up for debate in court. Additionally, going to court will cost much more than the damage to your car will cost to repair.

Insurance: They can't deny your claim. If your policy was active they must pay the claim, minus the deductible, period. Anything they do after that must take effect on your next policy renewal date; it cannot happen now. If they give you notice of a rate increase at renewal, you can start shopping other insurance companies.

Let me suggest Progressive. I've been with them for almost 15 years and have received great (bordering on amazing) customer service. In this time I've totaled two vehicles (my fault) and the rates are still reasonable. For both totaled cars I was paid full "dealer retail" prices which made it much easier to buy a new car. You can get a quote from progressive.com in about 20 minutes so give it a try. if you like the figures, switch companies! FWIW, I am not affiliated with them in any way - just a very happy customer.

Rant on. Why is it, that when anything bad happens, the first response is to call a lawyer? Does anyone ever take responsibility for what they do anymore? Or even consider that they may have been at fault? Sorry, I don't know all the facts here, but the "litigation response" that we have as a country is going to be the death of us.

Rant off.

I did, and I am paying for it with my insurance company now with the car that I totalled at my own fault, and I'm not ranting about it either, taking it it as it is and how it should be..

As long as the car isnt totalled, a little fender bender that is my own fault is something I pay out of my own pocket (hey, it's my idiot fault of tapping into the tire wall, etc) so I take responsibility to fix that myself. Same deal here, everyone screws up and not think about the speeds we travel or the actions we take which results into a problem, but it happened. Just chalk it up to experience that the car understeered and missed the turn. It happens, fast or slow, and you just have to learn some key points from it.. if you dont know what happen, take a driving class (preferably a self-defensive high level class so that you can understand what happend, what went wrong, and know how to prevent it).

Not many people can handle the situation when someone is not prepared for the consequences.. A LOT of people totally forget that every time we are in the car, the insurance company sees us as a potential risk of screwing up. Sometimes we all forget that we can be in an accident by turning on the motor and pull out of a parking spot. Heck, we dont even have to BE in the car for that to happen, even just parking it in the street and having a hit-and-run happen sucks.. what then? We are AT risk and we are also A risk. See it from the standpoint of the insurer, not as us, the insuree, then it makes more sense to understand how to say "it's my own fault for this mess". Just imagine if someone screwed up and you're responsible for paying the damages that they did? That's how the insurance company sees you: just some guy with a lot of risk and hopefully have money to pay monthly to make up for the mistake that they caused themselves.

If you want to use the insurance company for their services and funds, pay them.. it's just that simple, the more you screw up, the more you'll have to pay, the more you find yourself in bad conditions and areas, the more you are worth to compensate. If you feel that insurance companies are a rip off (especially if you never been in an accident in your life), well good for you, and when you do get into one, claim as much as you paid in (which I doubt that anyone here has paid enough in insurance payments that equal to their coverage).. look at it from that stand point, then it will make more sense.

Honestly, this all looks like driver error. I can only assume the cop could have written a ticket for "destruction of public property" for hitting the utility pole. It happens.. heck, I paid for a guard rail at the track for bending one piece of it, own up to the damages, your own and theirs, it's only fair.

Keefe

I do not plan on getting a lawyer involved cause i agree with most of you there's really no need. I am just going to see how it plays out with the insurance company. If I want to apeal the surcharge then I will be given a date for a hearing. But as on now I am just waiting to hear on the quotes and what not, Most likely this is just going to be some thing that I to have to live with. Live and let learn.

~Brian

the chances of faulty brakes or abs is highly unlikely. the roads were probably really bad that ANY car couldn't handle an extremely slick road. could be leaves, maybe moisture, but sounds like you're at fault here.

you will have to suck it up.

fixed

Keefe

I have a little exp. here, I've handled claims for about 6 years now, I'm no expert, but i know more than most. First off, did the cop give you a ticket? What are you going to court for? to have the officer amend the police report? Amended police reports don't really mean much. The adjuster is going to look at the loss, see its your fault(sorry, but its your fault) code it for a collision loss and pay you minus your deductible. Then when it comes time to review your policy, the underwriter is going to see your claim on your policy details and "adjust" your rates accordingly. The only thing you can really fight is ticket if you got one, but I'm pretty sure they can't raise your rates twice for the same loss, IE once for the accident and once for the ticket. Just curious, what ins. company do you have?

This man is 100% right. I also have been in the insurance biz for 5 or 6 years now. The accident was your fault. Your rates will go up.

As far as everyone bashing insurance companies, I will say they are not angels, but they are not the devil either. An insurance policy is a contract, they have to pay your damages minus your deductible, but you are held responsible when you cause a loss and pay a higher premium. Insurance companies are not out to get you, they are out to make money. And as this is America, they are entitled to it.

I feel for you, this is a shit situation, but the accident was your fault, take your lumps and get on with your life, a lawyer is not always the answer.

Super JDM part out: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65039

PM me an offer!

+1 on this , but it takes practice. The AWD subie is very much like an old Porsche, formula car or for that matter a Kart. You can practice on off ramps, add power and the car can handle, add brakes or steering (as in counter steer) you will lose it. Just don't over do the go pedal.:icon_twis

take it to a closed course area with supervision (preferably a place with legal sanction), not public roads to find such limits..

Keefe

If I want to apeal the surcharge then I will be given a date for a hearing.

Can you elaborate on this surcharge? Is it something they want to add to your remaining policy coverage period? If so, start shopping for a new company NOW!

Archived