LegacyGT.com

How HD is the HD 5 speed?

farmerjonbmx

Guest *Jedimaster*
Anyone have any info on what the HD 5speed will really be able to handle?

The PDXTuning LGT is up to 480-490WHP and the stock HD 5 speed is holding for now.

I was thinking about this earlier- can't wait to see what it takes to break the first one.

transmissions are rated by how much torque they can handle not horsepower. ever notice that no matter what kind of engine ie. F1, pro stock, your own subaru, ect. the hp & tq are the same at 5250 rpm. it's in the math. bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

Oddly I do not know of anyone who has broken a tranny yet, be it from power or abuse. I am sure it has happend, just not nearly the plague that hit when the 02 WRX came to our shores.

Jarrad

look in forums, turbo power train, tech referrence, drive trains. there is some infro there about how to beef up 5mt. did not see anything about actual tq. numbers. bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

anyone out there done this upgrade?

You might also want to check out www.GearBoxTech.com for a PPG gearset. Stronger than 6-speed gears and you can keep longer ratios... the 6-speed is great for a road course but with a massive turbo like the GT35 the gears are too short if you're into drag racing. A lot of people with huge power setups are doing the straight-cut PPG 1st and 2nd gear, and helical 3rd and 4th. With those straight cut gears you can launch the living heck out of them with no worries (at least not gear worries) :).

Archived