LegacyGT.com

Found my other exhaust leak!

Deer Killer

Cliff notes: another factory leak.

So I did my own uppipe, and when I took out the right manifold, I noticed the crosspipe was leaking from the factory. Put a good amount of exhaust sealer in there, seemed to seal. I have had an exhaust leak show up for the past few months and it has been annoying, so I replaced the donut gasket which had been out twice now without being replaced, and it wasn't even leaking *ugh*. (FYI my cobb DP is short by about 1/2"). I got frustrated and took apart the only think left, the left manifold. Guess what, another factory cross-pipe leak! It was leaking on the inner/upper side so it was really hard to tell. Everything is closed today so I used more exhaust sealer, seems to work so far. But from the looks of it both cross-pipe gaskets need to be at least twice the thickness, right now the cross-pipe bends under the torque of the bolts, in order to mate properly.

Yay my car sounds new again!

found mine yesterday when installing cobb heatshield. DP-Midpipe Gasket was completely broken just fragments were left in there. It was a 1st generation crucial cu-seal gasket, put the old oem gasket back in and no problems thus far. Cant hear the turbo whistle as much anymore :(, but im sure its better this way.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

DP-Midpipe Gasket was completely broken just fragments were left in there. It was a 1st generation crucial cu-seal gasket...

Actually we don't have a copper gasket for that application and never have :iam:

They come with your standard high-temp gasket for that junction. Once they get hot they seal and stick to the exhaust parts, so when you pull the pipes apart it tears up and leaves chunks/fragments on either side. Eventually we'll do a copper one for that spot but haven't quite yet.

Jeremy

Do you guys use any particular gasket sealer? I'm doing my own UP, DP install tomorrow so I'm doing some research tonight.

I have some "Ultra Copper Sensor-Safe High Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker"

It is from a job I did several years ago. Should I just cake this stuff on anywhere I put a gasket?

I also have some anti-seize.

And lastly what about this BP blaster. What should I sprayover all the bolts before the UNINSTALL. Will WD-40 work ok?

No, not "WD40." "WD40" is more of a lubricant/protectant than anything else. It's not a true penetrating solution or "chemical break-free" solution.

"PB-Blaster" or any other type of true penetrating solution is what you should be shooting for on your shopping list. Most automotive parts stores and home-improvement shops will carry such solutions, even if they are not "PB-Blaster." Typically, asking for "PB-Blaster" or "Liquid Wrench" by name will let the store personnel know what you're looking for, and they'll get you the right product.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ I know, beats me, too! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Yes. :) Don't get the sensor(s) drenched in this stuff.

Honestly, don't believe the encyclopedia. ;) And certainly, while in other threads and many others believe that WD40 "penetrates," it truly is far, far from an ideal chemical for this job.

Archived