LegacyGT.com

Best way to check if wheels are bent or damaged

GetAwayDriver

Well, I did my first Monte Carlo style rally and had a blast. Despite not finishing - I was working nights all week, same with my co-driver and sleep just got to us so we withdrew - we had a great time. I did hit some really nasty potholes and ruts on packed dirt, broken tarmac and gravel, and they were close calls. The rally was at night and you just couldn't avoid enough in time. I applied the brakes as quickly as I could.

We completed several legs thereafter and I did not notice anything. This morning, I walked around and checked out the wheels and did not notice anything. Drove home 160 miles on the freeway and didn't notice or feel anything.

I just wanted to know if anyone knows of a good way to really determine if anything severe may have happened to my rims. I find it hard to believe that everything is fine. These were nasty. If everything is okay, there truly is a god.

I am running full stockers with the RE92s.

Additional information:

I had the tires up at 38/36 front/rear. While inspecting the rims, I did notice there are small points where rubber or rubber like residue (very thin film) was on the lip of the wheel. It easy scrapes off with my finger nail. I assume this is from the contact between the tire and wheel. Other then that, no clear indicators that the wheels may be jacked up.

Just want to make sure.

Well, I am driving cross country in a few weeks and will be getting the car's oil and fluids changed, and an overall check up, so I was going to ask them to do it as well. But I just wanted to know if there were any surefire visual ways to check.

unless its a big bend its hard to tell just plain looking at it. the easyest way is to get it on a wheel balancer and have it spin. that way its very easy to see the deflection in the wheel if anything is bent. i supose you could do this on the car. get all 4 wheels in the air and put'er in gear and let all 4 wheels spin but thats kinda scary if you ask me cause well yeah im sure u can figure that out yourself. but there is an idea if you feal like living on the edge. but the safer way is to pay some one else to do it

Archived