LegacyGT.com

2005 GT Differential Question

I'm mechanically oriented and work on my cars quite often. However I can't seem to figure out how to change the oil in the front diff. on my 2005 Legacy GT (Automatic). I've bought the washer for the lower bolt to remove the oil. It also uses a size 70 Torx which I also own. I can't find the bolt to add the fluid back in. It's hidden or not obvious because I don't see it. I had the transmission done at Subaru because it required 10 quarts and I couldn't find the fluid anywhere but looking under the car I don't even see where you add that fluid either. The drain plug is point blank obvious.

So if anyone can help on the location for the bolt on the front diferential, I'd be very greatful.

Derek

I believe I've read here that the automatics share front differential and transmission oils. Therefore, if you've the transmission done, you've already had the front diff. done too.

Yikes! Automatic transmission fluid is very different from gear oil... Manual Subarus share front differential and transmission oil, automatics DO NOT.

He's right, I'm wrong. It's the MT that shares gear and front diff. oils.

There should be a filler plug near the drain plug on the front diff.

14 - Front & Rear Differential Gear Oil Replacement.pdf

Archived