LegacyGT.com

Failed gaskets and bolts and exhaust leaks OH MY!!

mwiener2

The "spray copper" stuff I mainly use as simple adhesive to help me hold the gasket in-place while I position parts - it's only "another hand" to me, who usually do the installs by myself.

My musclecar buddies recommend the use of the tube-dispensed "copper" stuff - sure, it's honestly only good for lower EGTs typically seen with NA engines, but they do use that stuff in much of their true-custom applications where manufactured gaskets simply aren't available (this includes exhaust manifolds).

Seeing as that our EGTs can routinely dip into the 1200-deg. F. range and usually hovers right around 800 deg. F., that stuff, which is typically rated to 700 deg. F. on a transient basis, is just gonna burn off - but at points further downstream, I do tend to use it as an additional sealant.

And heck, like my musclecar buddies, I still like the copper gaskets better. ;) I've simply had great luck with them. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

yeah so talking about gaskets, I'm pretty sure my head gasket is screwed. Not completely blown but i have oil burnt all over my up pipe. Me and my buddy are going to take off all of my after market parts, put back all stock, and then take it to the dealer and hopefully get it under warranty. And then after that, put them back on!! sneakkky

sneaky...and not cool

you're gonna redo all your pipes to have your dealer tell you it was spilt oil from an oil change, or a leaky oil filter, or something. And they're gonna know that you've been messing with the pipes casue all of the nuts and bolts have tool marks all over them.....

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

dip into the 1200 degree range!!! Dip!!! HA!! I see 1600+ everytime I punch it!!!

here's a quick log of a thrid gear pull right after I replaced the gaskets....

Copper melts at 1981F.. you're measuring 1600+ all the way up in the uppipe? I'm sure there are hotspots too, how soft does that copper get even if it doesn't exceed 1981F?

The other thing to remember is that actaull gasses are at that temp and only for short periods of time. The pipes probly don't get much hotter than 800-900 degrees.

We've all seen videos and pics of glowing turbos and pipes...Off the top of my head, I think stuff begins to glow around 1100-1200 degrees...i'll have to look that up later.

copper, especially thin copper like the gaskets, will become very brittle and crumble before it melts out of place

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

. Me and my buddy are going to take off all of my after market parts, put back all stock, and then take it to the dealer and hopefully get it under warranty.

Wrong thing to post around here. Lots of honest Abes on this forum:lol:

Yeah my Crucial cooper gasket did not last long there either. That thing had to be squeeling like a pig under boost. I used 2 OEM gaskets and stacked them. No more leak so far. Your car is dirty underneath LOL.

Why would you need 2 OEM gaskets. I only have one set of replacements and I'm doing the install tomorrow!!! Cobb UP/DP !!!

Oh and I have the ultra copper good to 700 degrees F.

I've been searching for something with a higher temp range and cant' really find much.

Why would you need 2 OEM gaskets. I only have one set of replacements and I'm doing the install tomorrow!!! Cobb UP/DP !!!

Oh and I have the ultra copper good to 700 degrees F.

I've been searching for something with a higher temp range and cant' really find much.

We have some stuff we use here at work they call it Copper Seal its military grade and the can ( its a paste) claims its good to 1800 degrees f. Im thinking of using this on the gaskets when I do my uppie / turboback thats in the garage.

Brother KTM lists a Crucial UP in his vBGarage - it is thus likely that for his specific vehicle, production tolerances caused his manifold-to-UP junction to have a slightly larger gap when paired with the Crucial UP, which is a solid-pipe.

Thus, stacking two OEM gaskets (which themselves are "thicker" than Crucial's copper ones) is a viable solution to cure his leak. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

i got an interesting side effect to fixing this exhaust leak....

before fix: 19.8 mpg max

after fix following dad for 300 miles: 26.3 mpg (about 75 mph)

after fix driving on my own for 300 miles: 23.5 mpg (about 80 mph, flooring to stay there)

so i gained about 4 mpg from fixing that stupid leak. And if I drive like my father, I'll gain another 3mpg.

BTW, his LL beanie and my XT got the exact same MPG according to the trip computer when I followed him for 300 miles.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived