LegacyGT.com

2006 LGT Ltd. Folding Mirrors - Powered?

Power folding mirrors would be a nice and useful feature. Some may not find 'em and probably SOA, in their infinite wisdom, decided the demand would be too low to make a profit from developing the product.

But, I'd like them b/c parking my car in the garage is extremely tight and every inch, so to speak, counts. My townhouse has a HOA and we have to keep a ridiculously large trash can in there along with the car. If I could park my car two or three inches closer to the wall, my wife and I could carry grocery bags in without hitting the car. I don't know about folding them while driving.

I think my question was answered about whether it was possible to retrofit a JDM for the USDM. I hadn't considered the optics of the right-hand versus left-hand thing. I wonder whether any of the forum readers are knowledgeable about the German market.

I remember seeing several creature comforts on Subies in Europe (Germany) that weren't available in the states for the 98 era Legacy - things like foldable, not powered, mirrors, and headlight washers. Couldn't get that stuff in the states.

Are we back to this again?

Good for you. Not everyone feels the way that you do. I do adjust it manually, but as another poster mentioned, it would be helpful if it did it automatically.

Oh, pax, pax, no attack intended. I agree that auto down would be a nice feature. I am wondering if one of our electronically talented members could design a module that would accomplish that.

Well, not only would it have to tilt down, it would have to remember where it was through the use of some sort of sensor, etc...

That's the hard part. I guess such a module could be calibrated. Like one would have to adjust the mirror from a preset position (say all the way right, all the way up). So to reset the mirror, the module would put it back to the preset position and "replay" adjusting motion. Less fancy than oem BMW but prolly could work well enough.

In simpliest case only auto tilt down would still be better than full maual.

I'd like it. Living somewhere where I take the ferry several times a year, my mirrors are always getting hit during loading/unloading. Sure, I can get out and fold them myself before getting on the boat waiting in the lineup, but the bigger problem is offloading - I have to fold them back out before I get into the car and off the boat, so they get hit by other cars anyway...

Closest to the correct answer so far. ;)

The main reason cars have folding mirrors is so that when they get loaded on to the ship, they save space. When there are 20 or so lanes of cars in the cargo hold, and you save say 4" either side, you can get another 2 lanes of cars in the same space, thus reducing shipping costs.

The reason that JDM cars have powered folding mirrors is so that they can park them in their tiny garages and car lifts.

The main reason cars have folding mirrors is so that when they get loaded on to the ship, they save space. When there are 20 or so lanes of cars in the cargo hold, and you save say 4" either side, you can get another 2 lanes of cars in the same space, thus reducing shipping costs.

:orly:

I believe in Europe they are mandatory due to the car-pedestrain safety regulations. I have never seen a car in Europe with fixed mirrors like the U.S. I was very surprised actually to see these fixed mirrors here....

:orly:

I believe in Europe they are mandatory due to the car-pedestrain safety regulations. I have never seen a car in Europe with fixed mirrors like the U.S. I was very surprised actually to see these fixed mirrors here....

Yes :orly:;)

How many USDM cars get shipped by sea in large numbers ? That's probably the reason some cars over here don't have them.

Archived