LegacyGT.com

Perrin Positive Response (LCAB) kit

SubieRU

Has anyone purchased/installed it? JSC speed sells it. it is claimed that the Perrin bushings/bearings greatly improve the steering feel.

its because they greatly improve handling....... alot less flex from the stock ons

If you are asking about the suspension, I have pretty much all of the stock components replaced. The car has:

-JDM Spec B Rev A Bilsteins + Swift Spings

-Cusco F/R swaybars

-Cusco F/R underbaces

-AVO F/R endlinks

- STI steering rack bushings

The car is firm like a rock and a bit bumpy on less than perfect roads. My main concern is the light/floaty steering feel that has not been eliminated by the STI bushings (my experience is obviously different from that of other forum members). The front end of the car just feels loose and unstable. My problem could be that I'm comparing it with my wife's A4 steering, which feels very precise.

Alignment makes a huge diffrence in steering feel.

I agree, but it seems that I haven't had much luck with the alignment shops I used before. I found a really reputable one now, but still want to try the new LCAB just to be sure that I did everything possible to improve the steering response. Do you guys think it's worth the money (Perrin's kit)? Not a very cheap mod to be sure...:(

If you are asking about the suspension, I have pretty much all of the stock components replaced. The car has:

-JDM Spec B Rev A Bilsteins + Swift Spings

-Cusco F/R swaybars

-Cusco F/R underbaces

-AVO F/R endlinks

- STI steering rack bushings

The car is firm like a rock and a bit bumpy on less than perfect roads. My main concern is the light/floaty steering feel that has not been eliminated by the STI bushings (my experience is obviously different from that of other forum members). The front end of the car just feels loose and unstable. My problem could be that I'm comparing it with my wife's A4 steering, which feels very precise.

I agree with you regarding the whiteline bushings for the STI. It made it a little tighter but definitely did not improve the floaty feeling in my opinion. I am also comparing it to my previous car which was also an Audi A4. I would love to have that feeling back again!

I would love to hear your feedback once you have them installed. But then again...everyone elses feedback for the bushings were sooo positive and I disagree. Sometimes you just got to feel it for yourself.

I think I've totally lost any hope in improving the light steering/looseness feeling of the LGT. I seriously doubt that the Perrin kit will make things better, it looks like there is just something fundamentally wrong with the suspension/steering design of the car. For example, why even a moderate cross wind causes so much shake up of a 3,300 lb. car? To compare, Honda Accord that weighs around 3000 has no such problem.

To sum up, having spent a big chunk of $$$$ on improving the suspension, I'm still unhappy with the car's handling/steering and the feeling of instability at high speeds.

Now, can anyone convince me that Perrin's LCAB kit will solve the problem? :confused:

Alignment makes a huge diffrence in steering feel.

How so? I imagine castor is fixed and you can only adjust camber (w/i limits) and toe. What alignment have you used for toe and camber and how did it affect on center feel, etc?

Another thread discussed the Perrin LCAB and one poster made the comment that he thought they looked rather unprotected and once dirt got in, there'd be hell to pay. Unless there's a bushing cover, I'd tend to agree and would be rather unwilling to take the risk on an expensive bushing mod that needed professional installation with a press (I imagine at least an hour and a half a side).

So you guys go ahead and let me know a right after installation, six months down the road, and a year down the road what the results were. :icon_bigg

a little bit of toe out improves turn in response.

Also make sure the car is not cross cambered.

The castor is not "adjustable" but if its off complain to the dealer and they will tweak to subframe for you.

Theres nothing wrong with the steering system. It has the same exact rack as the STi as well as MORE positive caster.

Id hate to blame the RE-92's but when I swapped them out for some real tires my steering response increased quite a bit.

a little bit of toe out improves turn in response.

Also make sure the car is not cross cambered.

The castor is not "adjustable" but if its off complain to the dealer and they will tweak to subframe for you.

Theres nothing wrong with the steering system. It has the same exact rack as the STi as well as MORE positive caster.

Id hate to blame the RE-92's but when I swapped them out for some real tires my steering response increased quite a bit.

I would think tire wear is big price to pay for toe out (presumably on front tires) on a street car, esp. one that has driven front tires.

What is "cross camber"?

And I wouldn't trust my idiot dealer here in South Bend to "tweak" a subframe!

The thread was perhaps related to Whiteline steering rack bushing install and I saw it in the last 2 weeks or so. Over 40. That's all I recall.

Found it! At the same time, that comment mentioned that the new bushings will likely increase cross-wind resistance and the car's stability in general. Well, I'll probably choose better performance over better reliability. (Speaking about german cars v. Japanese cars ...)

For example, why even a moderate cross wind causes so much shake up of a 3,300 lb. car?

Ah, that has nothing to do with the steering or suspension, that has to do with the aerodynamics of the Legacy. Subaru did a great job of lowering the Cd of the Legacy, which can be seen in the better gas mileage figures than the previous BE legacies, but the drawback of good aerodynamics is that there is little downforce, which causes it to feel less stable at high speeds versus crosswinds. Downforce increases drag, lowering gas mileage - one of those catch 22 situations. My car, lowered and with the STI front lip, was much better than a standard car vs. crosswinds, but that's just because I increased downforce at the front, and the lowering reduced the amount of air that could push in from the sides.

I know, doesn't have much to do with the perrin part, but if you are looking for a solution for crosswinds, it's not to do with suspension or steering.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com | http://www.sevenphotos.com

I think I've totally lost any hope in improving the light steering/looseness feeling of the LGT. I seriously doubt that the Perrin kit will make things better, it looks like there is just something fundamentally wrong with the suspension/steering design of the car. For example, why even a moderate cross wind causes so much shake up of a 3,300 lb. car? To compare, Honda Accord that weighs around 3000 has no such problem.

To sum up, having spent a big chunk of $$$$ on improving the suspension, I'm still unhappy with the car's handling/steering and the feeling of instability at high speeds.

Now, can anyone convince me that Perrin's LCAB kit will solve the problem? :confused:

Ditto!

Archived