LegacyGT.com

I need help in buying a car

I am interested in buying a 98' Subaru Legacy $5995, all leather interior, power everything, AWD, alloy wheels, 135k miles. Is this a good deal and how long do these puppies last as far as miles and maintence?

Forgot to mention, "average" milage for a car is about 15k each year. The average for that year should only be 85k. Find out where it was driven. See if you can find the original owner. It's not their car anymore, so they generally don't lie how they drove it. The dealership, with the customer's permission, may be able to get you in touch with them.

Its from a dealer and it is a gt. I figured I only want it to at least get me through college (done with first year) and maybe one year after that. I doubt I'd put the average 15k miles a year into it. Has anyone heard how many miles they can get up to?

I have a friend with a SVX 223K and still running strong, the most on a LGT was about 180K and only thing waas the gaskets need to be replaced really often like 3500K so it sounds like a good deal. I got my 2001 LGT 65K for 10G's so, maybe haggle a little

Oops, I meant 12k...but that still comes out to about 96k, huh, KBB was wrong.

If it's taken care of, it should last well passed 150k. Remember, most dealers make more money off of used cars than they do on new cars. I am sure you can work out a better deal.

I am interested in buying a 98' Subaru Legacy $5995, all leather interior, power everything, AWD, alloy wheels, 135k miles. Is this a good deal and how long do these puppies last as far as miles and maintence?

Watch out for head gasket failures. (Oil/exhaust smell in radiator overflow tank.) If you do a search you can find out a lot about HG symptoms. Or pm me.

My HG went at 133k. Ended up replacing the engine with a new one. In the end I will keep the car for a long time. I love it. Check KBB as well as NADA.

Is the car auto or manual? Wagon or sedan? I suggest to negociate keeping in mind the need to do HG ($1000-$1500) in mind. Assuming everything else is good.

Good luck

Archived