LegacyGT.com

just got my new wheels

br7sv9x8

i just got those today and let me tell you i am very happy the front is 2.5 lip and the rear is 3.5 lip 18x8 all round with +40 offset all round too. also i am the first one to have those on. and will be in axis wheels. its so cool:icon_bigg

the offset im doing is pushing it to the fender. so i have had to roll the fender and the tires im running on are 18x8 are 40 not 35. the car can go up to +38 offset but they didnt have it and i was going to go with a +40 front so they had it. but to let you guys know this took be about a month to get it cause the messurements must be right. but over all i love the rims and love the lips.

Awesome lippage. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I did not know such an offset was possible!!!

How did you find out this set up worked?

Axis has their Maxxis lip technology combined with the curved spoke designs to give the rim the ultimate deep dish look.. very few companies are doing this, Konig is the other right now.. basically that is what you call a Faux lip (as the spokes curve back into the rim to create that illusion of a deep lip). A true lip would be the straight spoke design which doesnt curve back in. Such rims would be the BBS LMs or any of the Fikse and HRE rims.

And 18x8 +40 is really beyond the limit.. any further out and it will rub.. see FAQ ;) In my FAQ, I use to have the offset lower for 8" wide rims.. but because due to Drift Monkey's wide tire setup on a 18x8 +45mm with a 2" lower suspension, I changed it to reflect a +43mm offset instead (see post number #81 http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=160253&postcount=81 )

Remember, my FAQ was designed for my car's parameters first, then took in a few other factors for some margin of error (not much). There are clearly exceptions to my FAQ, but that's just a gamble the person has to take if they want more out of the car.. (even myself)

You can certainly run a 9.5" wheel and stretch a 225 tire over the rim to clear the fenders for that VIP look, but I think that just defeats the purpose of the wider rim with a lip ;)

Keefe

I kinda don't get it...why is everyone so surprise that 18x8 +40 fits? I have shown pics for 2 diff set of wheels at 18x8 +38 fitting all the way around fine, with NO rubbing and NO fender rolling...for more than a year. And you don't have to stretch tires either...my current pzero nero is 215/40/18, and the side wall is not stretch at all (pzero's "215" is wider than MX's "215" as I found out).

Of course, if you want to run pretty wide tires, your offset will have to adjust accordingly. Like Keefe said you can even stretch tires over a wide rims with lower offset if you want to....realistically, most people get rims for looks, not so much performance value. I find it hard to justify "performace" when most owners load up their cars with amp/sub/dvd/computer/leather power seat/sunroof.

Props to another guy willing to go for lower offset wheels!

My next goal is to get down to +33 offset wheels, and finally roll my fenders.

Yeah, oister I remember your wheels too! Don't worry :).

What I'm curious is how did you know it would fit before you bought your wheels? Keefe's FAQ is just a guideline, and both yours and br7sv9x8 are out of the range specified.

-ben

thanks guys for the comments. i know the offset cause i messure over and over and try on do the math on the stock offset cause the stock offset is +55 so when you roll the rear fender you have about 7mm to play with and the +40 offset plus the 7mm gives you +47mm for the rear. but the front the fender was so little to roll it so i was very lucky on that so i just gave it a try if it didnt fit i was going with the back up plan wide it! but it fit just find. its all about the math. and for oister i didnt read your think about the +38 if i did then i was go +38 but they didnt have it the only thing they have was +40. so thanks you guys for the comments hope you guys like the pictures. ill try to take more with my friends cause most of use have axis on our car. and the rims aren't that heavy im guess about 18 or 19 lbs. each with tires. or maybe less. thanks again guys for the comments

-peter

I kinda don't get it...why is everyone so surprise that 18x8 +40 fits? I have shown pics for 2 diff set of wheels at 18x8 +38 fitting all the way around fine, with NO rubbing and NO fender rolling...for more than a year. And you don't have to stretch tires either...my current pzero nero is 215/40/18, and the side wall is not stretch at all (pzero's "215" is wider than MX's "215" as I found out).

Of course, if you want to run pretty wide tires, your offset will have to adjust accordingly. Like Keefe said you can even stretch tires over a wide rims with lower offset if you want to....realistically, most people get rims for looks, not so much performance value. I find it hard to justify "performace" when most owners load up their cars with amp/sub/dvd/computer/leather power seat/sunroof.

Props to another guy willing to go for lower offset wheels!

My next goal is to get down to +33 offset wheels, and finally roll my fenders.

Due to the build tolerances of the specs of the GT, my car (and DMs car) rub on 18x8 +45 and 17x8 +40 offsets.. then again, we are using some wide tires. DM's car used Falken Azenis RT615s in 225/40/18 and I used 245/40/17R-compoounds. You might have had a car that was built with the higher end of the tolerances, so you didnt have rubbing luckily.

You can definitely stretch a narrow tire over a wide rim for the VIP look and by doing so you will have a rounded tapered tire shoulder rather than a squared one.

But in Oisters case, generally a 215 with a 8" wide rim or 8.5" is already known as stretching.. It maybe wider by sectional width (from sidewall to sidewall), but the tread width is also different and maybe narrower.

Keefe

What I'm curious is how did you know it would fit before you bought your wheels? Keefe's FAQ is just a guideline, and both yours and br7sv9x8 are out of the range specified.

You can certainly take your gamble on my guideline. Remember, if you want to take the gamble 5mm difference in the offset, then anyone can find ways to make that clearance, with fender rolling if possible.

18x8 +33 is really pushing it and it will mostly likely stick out of the fender. Bur remember, Oister ran a 18x8 with a 215/40/18 tire so it doesnt bulge out as much as say as my setup when I had the 18x8 +48 running 245/40/18 tires..

it depends on the taste, either have a fat lip and narrow stretched tires or run a non-deep lip rim with massive wider tires.. it's a trade-off that you'll also have to take a look at.

Initially, my FAQ (prior to DMs rubbing issue with his 18x8 +45 and Azenis) I had a +41mm as the lower end of the offset for a 8" wide rim.. so running a +40 or +38 is the minor gamble of less than 1/8" of clearance you'll have to deal with.. that's no more than a difference of the width of 3 dimes stacked together.

You can take your chances however you wish. If people out there want to run some SUPER short suspension travel shocks and have some minor flared fenders, you can go as wide as 11" wide rims and just run a 265 wide tire and stretch them out (But an 11" wide rim can handle as wide as a 295, 305, and 315mm wide tire).

Keefe

1) make sure you are at the final height that you would be at, before making measurement. This is the ride height that you will run your new wheels.

2) Make sure this is the alignment spec you will run the new wheels. Alignement will affect fitment greatly.

3) with the settings as you like it, measure how much clearance you have on the stock wheel from the fender. Take a rectangular cardboard, butt one side on the surface of the wheel, while touching an adjacent side on the fender. Mark where it touches the fender on the edge of the card board.

4)now you know how much extra clearance you have...subtract that from your stock 55 offset.

At this point, you should hav ea rough idea as to how low you can go with YOUR height and alignment. Go to tirerack and do some research on the actual section width of your future tire. Not all 215 wide wheels have the same REAL width, they differ from brand to brand and model to model. I know from doing tirerack research, and later actual purchase of tire, that tire width varies greatly. 215 can be anywhere from 7.8in wide to 8.5in widefrom just a small selection that I bothered to check. The actual width might eat into your clearance if the tire is "wider" than the stock tire, even if they claim the same width number.

Also, a rough guide on how camber will affect your clearance:

Viewing the car facing the front grille, you can see that as wheels camber in, it follows a bit of an arc. With the hub serve as an approximate center of rotation. The arc length of wheel travel can be approximated by R x tan(theta), where R would be the distance from hub to top of tire, and theta being the angle of the camber.

So let say your wheel radius is 220mm, and you have 2 deg of static camber dialed in, you would have 220mm x tan(2) = 7.68mm in the arc length. Which means that when compared to when the wheel has 0 camber vs 2 deg camber, the wheel has moved about 7mm away from the fender. So you see, adding a little bit of camber on your alignment has quite a profound effect on the fitment of the wheel.

If you are at the track and you dialed in a lot of static camber for cornering performance, you would also gain the ability to run fatter R compound than you otherwise could as a side benefit, due to the extra clearance.

Anyways...measure twice, so you only have to buy once.

PS...a super lazy way would be getting a bunch of spacers. at step 3, you just keep adding spacers till you are at your target offset, and then putting your stock wheel back on. You will know quickly how much you can and willing to space out the wheels, and from that you can calculate what the actual offset would be for the final wheel. A few trials can show you whether your target offset will have a chance of fitting.

Archived