Creaky/Squeaky Seat

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
Bringing it in for 3rd time now. It keeps coming back after a week or two. This time the service manager seemed really annoyed with me, telling me this is normal with power seats. Not acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

+1

My driver seat also rocks back in forth a little...

I have a 2009 with 8500 miles and the creaks have already started. Mine does the same thing kind of rocks slightly left to right and creaks. The dealer said this is a common problem and there are service bulletins about this.

Woohoo, got my driver seat frame replaced for the second time today, the squeak is yet again silenced. . . now let's see for how long.

My seat frame is now on order. With 32,600 miles, I wonder if my warranty will expire before it starts again?

The dealer said this is a common problem and there are service bulletins about this.

Interesting, the service manager at my dealer says he's never heard of this problem (or at least hasn't seen it himself on the Legacy's that come through his door).

Interesting, the service manager at my dealer says he's never heard of this problem (or at least hasn't seen it himself on the Legacy's that come through his door).

My experience with the service manager in my area is to just simply not return my phone calls... At least they acknowledge you...

• 3 weeks later...

*sigh*

New seat frame, and it' s nice and stiff now, but the same squeak creeped up about 2 miles down the road right out of the shop. Will probably bring it again next week.

It's actually louder now, always when I turn left, shifting my weight right.

My seat is always on the lowest setting becuase I'm 6'2". Doesn't help me unfortunately.

Wow...that's lame. At least they gave it a try. Yeah I noticed when I change the seat height it does seem to help temporarily. But then after a while the squeaks return. I called SOA and they just said it is a warranty issue and to go back to the dealer. The dealer told me that there really isn't a fix because the noises come back after a while just like you said ^

I just turn the volume up on the radio. Though sometimes I like just quiet too and those times the squeaks drive me insane.

• 2 months later...

Holy crap, I thought I was the only one with this problem! My dealer greased it up once during my last oil change, but did not do anything at all. The squeak resumed right when I exited the lot :facepalm:

Anyways, it looks like I'll have to talk with my dealer. Anyone think if I asked to have the entire frame and rails replaced under warranty, and show them this thread, they'd happily do it? lol

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

^^^ If they're like my dealership you won't have to show them this thread. My service center was actually very accommodating; on all 5 times I brought it in for this problem.

The last time was after my entire frame was replaced. It started squeaking almost immediately after (although the seat is nice and stiff now). I had only a few hundred miles left on the factory warranty, but they still looked at it again and shuttled me to work free of charge. The only thing they could do was lube it again (making my car reek like oil for a week).

After replacing the frame, there really isn't anything they can do short of swapping the entire seat (but replacing the frame is almost like doing that anyway). The service manager was very apologetic, and we had a conversation about how I've heard online about this being an issue, about people having the issue after only 5,000 miles, etc. and he listened attentively, sort of shaking his head in disappointment.

It's a design flaw with how the seat is put together apparently. Some people are shaped just so and weigh the right amount in the right (or wrong) places to make it happen relatively consistently (btw I'm 6'2" and 180 lbs, so it's not an overweight issue, probably more of a shape and distribution issue). For example, some of the techs in the shop could make it happen almost on command, while others never heard it at all, no matter how hard they tried.

You may get lucky and a new frame will help, but my guess is it will be temporary. I've been thinking about writing SOA a letter in how I love their cars, but how disappointed I am with their interior quality, and that if they don't fix this issue I may think twice about buying a sub again (it's incredible irritating and embarrassing, though in the big picture it is a small issue and I probably shouldn't let it bother me so much).

Edited by legume

• 9 months later...

My 2009 Legacy has 20,000 and the driver's side creaks. I took it to Go Subaru off of Arapahoe and the paper work read:

"normal leather creak-put noise dampning materials on"

I called the sales manager today and we're going for a ride during lunch.

I'll keep everyone posted......

^^ had my frame replaced under warranty, now it's actually worse than ever. Prior to that they tried putting in damping material.

Nothing works, it's a design flaw of the seat, and very dissheartening that it's still ongoing. Makes me think twice about buying another Suby; it's incredibly annoying.

It also depends on how you're shaped and how your weight is distributed. Some guys at the shop could not get it to duplicate at all, others could. I unfortunately am among those who just aren't shaped "right".

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, I just got back from the dealer and they fixed the problem. They replaced the back rest frame and repaired a loose hinge on the seat under warranty. It's a 2009 Subi and Go Subaru on Arapahoe (Colorado) took good care of me. All i had to do was call the service manager after the failed first attempt. Stoked.....

• 2 weeks later...
My 2011 Legacy Limited has a squeaky front passenger seat. My fiance is pretty much the only one in the seat and she weighs 130lbs. Car has 3k miles on it. Annoying as hell! Haven't brought it up to the dealer yet....waiting for the drivers seat to start so they can attempt to fix both. In a recent edition of Motortrend magazine, they described this car as "quirky." I couldn't agree more.

• 1 month later...

WTF? I thought I was being picky with my seat. The driver's seatback creaks and pops when I go 'round corners and my weight shifts. Can't exactly hear it, but I feel it behind my shoulders. I am 6'0', 175. I am not crushing the seat I don't think. I bought the car one month ago (2009 SE with 20K miles). Guess I am going to the dealer, since it is CPO, and the squeaky rear brakes they "fixed" are squeaking again after 600 miles.

Here we go.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if I've gotten used to it, listen to my music just a bit louder, if it's because I put in Epic Engineering springs or even the combination of all three but, it seems the creaking in my driver's seat has lessened to the point of being almost nonexistent. I'm kinda leaning towards the springs and RSB as both have lessened the roll during turns, especially left turns when the creaks/squeaks occur most.

My dealer (Lynne's Subaru in Bloomfield, NJ) has NOT been helpful at all. Haven't been back to them since last summer.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

Took my car to the dealer last week for the seat problem. The driver's seat pops and squeaks. The dealer special ordered a part (they say). Car was at the dealer all day and they called "We fixed it!". I had to pick up the car a little later after the service department was closed. It is exactly the same. I am not even sure they did anything at all. I may tear the seat apart myself and fix it. I did that with a BMW I had and fixed it myself.

I don't know if I've gotten used to it, listen to my music just a bit louder, if it's because I put in Epic Engineering springs or even the combination of all three but, it seems the creaking in my driver's seat has lessened to the point of being almost nonexistent. I'm kinda leaning towards the springs and RSB as both have lessened the roll during turns, especially left turns when the creaks/squeaks occur most.

My dealer (Lynne's Subaru in Bloomfield, NJ) has NOT been helpful at all. Haven't been back to them since last summer.

When I swapped to Bilsteins and Spec-B Wagon springs, the car quieted down quite a bit. It was remarkable.

My seat squeaks, and it drives me mad. I'm not willing to put up with the dealer about it, though, so I'll just try and find some time to look into fix it myself.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Fyi, I also have this seat squeak on my spec b. I have never had this issue with my previous 05 and 06 lgts'. So this is a new problem to me at least. I have had this issue since about 29k miles which is approx the moment i went stage 2. I have taken the seat off from its rails and adjusted them with no success.

I am going to try to remove the seat frame this summer and try putting some neoprene rubber or something to see if it solves the issue. If not...anyone know if sparco road/tuner seats fit in our lgt's?

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx