LegacyGT.com

Creaky/Squeaky Seat

If you wouldn't mind posting a summary of the parts and costs related, that would be perfect. If you don't want to post that publicly, can you send me a PM?

Ok, I finally got it back in the other day and got the seat fixed. They ended up with a new seat frame and also put a seat heater in there while they were doing it.(The original got really hot on low)

Here are the part numbers on my invoice.

Seat - 64100AG0-5A

Heater - 64111AG0-4A

There were no costs on the invoice since it was warranty, however I thought I saw the prices somewhere with the frame being in the $150 range and the heater being in the $110 range. Labor took about 4-5 hours to complete the job.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the rails didn't fix it, it is likely the seat frame. They replaced 3 rails (at SOA's demand) before they got the ok to replace the frame. Since then, not a peep from the seat

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Interesting....I will have to have a chat with the dealer.

Thanks for the info.

-John

If the rails didn't fix it, it is likely the seat frame. They replaced 3 rails (at SOA's demand) before they got the ok to replace the frame. Since then, not a peep from the seat

• 4 months later...
It is funny how I started this thread with my 05 Legacy GT and now my new 09 has the same problem...it is really annoying and with two little ones the stereo is often turned down so I hear it all the time. If I lower it all the way no sound but I feel like I am sitting on the floor. Maybe I should have waited for a 2010...

Lol, at 14.5K miles on my 08 I'm on the third seat frame. Clearly at a whopping 180lbs the frame should be cracking on me left and right. :rolleyes:

Yesterday I think I found my permanent solution though: http://www.corbeau.com/products/fixed_back_seats/fx1_pro/

They even have the correct rails for the LGT apparently. :wub:

Man, i'm glad i'm tall and need the seat all the way down anyway. The seat in my '09 has been making a spring noise when I shift my weight (200lbs) from side to side. It feels like it's coming from the right-rear corner of the seat. Kinda feels like sitting on an old mattress and springs pop and shift. No squeaks yet so I'm not too concerned but I'll be on the look out now.

The noise comes from the left side of mine...no big deal when I am alone in the car because I have the Harmon Kardon cranked loud enough to drown out the sound...when the family is in it and radio turned down it drives me bonkers.

• 2 weeks later...
I had some horrible squeaking in mine. I oiled a bunch of it and didn't have much luck. I finally gave up my seat position, repositioned it and it was gone for a while. Now I get a horrible click/squeak, mostly when turning left. I've tried to fix this issue and not having any luck. It's quite annoying and I'll definitely be taking it into the dealer. Not sure what to expect from that trip.

I had that exact problem also. It took 36,000 miles and two different dealers for it to be fixed.

They had to replace the entire seat frame.

If you PM Jeremy from Fred Beans he might be able to tell you what they had to order to fix it.

It annoyed the crap out of me, but i now can turn left in silence!:lol:

Good luck!

-John

I had some horrible squeaking in mine. I oiled a bunch of it and didn't have much luck. I finally gave up my seat position, repositioned it and it was gone for a while. Now I get a horrible click/squeak, mostly when turning left. I've tried to fix this issue and not having any luck. It's quite annoying and I'll definitely be taking it into the dealer. Not sure what to expect from that trip.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2008 LGT on lease. The entire driver seat assembly has been replaced twice and also been tightened twice. Although these fixes temporarily stopped the noise, it has come back.

It started as a creaking noise every time I turned left. When I turned right the seat was silent. Then it started also making noise if I hit a dip in the road (like when crossing 4-way stop intersections). After tightenting the seat a couple of times. the local dealer replaced the entire seat assembly. I was very happy because I am extremely noise-sensitive.

About a month or two later, I noticed the noises beginning to come back. I took it back to the dealer and they again tightened it up. That worked for a little while, but the noises again came back. Back to the dealer. I was told they did find a "broken clip" and that the seat would again be replaced under warranty but they had to order the parts.

The seat was again replaced. It was okay for about a month. Now it makes noises when I turn right as well as get in and out of the car. It is obviously a problem with the lower left hip bolster. I took the car back in for some other servicing and informed them I am again having problems with the seat making noise. I was told "there is nothing more I can do. The seat has already been replaced twice". This is for a car with 13,000 miles. In a moment of weakness I stated that I would like the mechanic to show me how to tighten it up so I could at least do it myself if needed. A few minutes later the service associate said she had a mechainc ready to show me how to tighten it up. By that point I had come to my senses and realized I have paid for a warranty so I should receive a warranty. It's not my fault this is a recurring problem.

Incidentally, my experience with this one particular service associate has been very inconsistent. The first Subaru we bought there (a 2004 Forester XT) had a problem with uneven rotor wear less than a month after we got it. It was 1 year old with 5,200 miles (a fleet car). I was told that the brakes could not be fixed under warranty because it was how the car was being driven that was causing rotor problems.

I have had several other issues with this service person at my dealership. Although I would like to get the new Legacy (hoping the seat problems have been resolved of course) I might not because the service I receive from the main service representative has been offensive and inconsistent.

• 1 month later...
They replaced the seat frame, and for now the seat is quiet again.. Unfortunately they put a serious dent in my rear door, and took a couple small chunks out of 2 interior pieces..

That sucks...that is why I hate taking cars to dealers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just had mine fixed under warranty. I bought my Legacy at 30,000 miles, so I can't say when it started exactly, but it is consistent with low mileage '08 models. Of course I didn't notice it during the test drive, but it began to drive me mad by the next day. Googled the problem and found this forum (what did we ever do before Google anyway?). Hopefully with all these warranty claims, Subaru will correct this design flaw if it hasn't been already.

According to the tech, they found a piece of plastic rubbing against the frame, so they insulated it with foam. They also took the seat apart and added lubrication, as apparently the foam didn't solve the problem completely. It took them most of the day to find the source, so this would have been an expensive fix if not covered. Now I'm anxiously waiting for the problem to resurface at about 36,000 miles!