LegacyGT.com

300 bucks of birthday money to spend, are tires the best 1st mod?

PaulNEPats

I like the Cooper tires. About $100 and a very nice compound. Almost 25k on mine and driven with a lot of lbs, and hard cornering. Well wourth it. Because of I am not a single anymore I need a less performance tire and more practical than the Zeon"s. I will go to the lifeliners. You can and rekremend the 225/45-17 tie. Just more meet on the ground.

I've been leaning towards a set of Falken Ziex 512's as the first mod for my car, so I can ditch the RE92's. Worthy first upgrade?

The Falken Ziex may initially feel like an upgrade, however in my experience and my friends experience they turn quite noisy after 15-20k with regular rotation/care. $300 is not very much to spend on tires or at least ones that are significantly better than the RE92a's in the 215/45/17 size. On the plus side they do have decent snow traction for next winter.

Dissenting view here. Skip the tires. While I think I only put a grand total of 1000 miles on my RE92's, I do not understand all the bashing they get. Are they great performance tires... no, but don't think that spending your $300 on a set of tires like the Falken 512's will make a big difference. The RE92's are perfectly servicable and spending money to replace them while they still have life is of questionable value.

If the money is burning a hole in your pocket and you want more power, I'd get an uppipe and downpipe. If you want better braking and handling feel, get a rear sway bar and stainless steel brake line. If you can bring yourself to save up, wait till you get $650 together and buy an AccessPort.

For $300? No way. The only kinds of tires you can get for $300 are going to suck. There are very few tires even in the 215/45/17 size for less than $150 a tire that are any good at all - I disagree with a lot of posters here on this. The RE92 is not a very good tire, but it's not bad, either. In its favor is a quiet and smooth ride, and acceptable dry and wet weather performance. If you like to hooligan around, try to slide the rear end or even try to drift, then you don't want a really high grip tire anyway. the RE92 will be fun for you in this respect, but will still get you home safely after you calm down =).

If you really want a good set of tires - and I usually prefer tires with better to best WET performance (just about any good tire will be really great for dry traction off the track) - you really want to budget somewhere in the range of minimum $600, after mounting and balancing. There are few good tires in the $100 range, but one tire I like is the Avon M500 (summer). there are several in the $130 or so range - the Toyo T1-S and T1-R, the Bridgestone RE-750, the Contisportcontact 2 (my personal choice), and the Dunlop Sp9000.

there are many other choices, but for what you will be able to afford for $300, the RE-92 will wipe the tarmac with it.

Think about a set of STI pinks, especially if you can install them yourself, or a rear swaybar.

How about Kumho Ecsta ASX's? I can get those for ~$360 and they look like a pretty solid All-Season tire.

My personal opinion is that Kumho's suck ass - from experience. they wear very poorly - the tread lasts a long time- but you wish the damn tires would wear out because they get very hard and loose roundness after some miles - maybe 5 - 15k mi.

I'll never again buy kumhos - I'll stick with dunlop, conti, bridgestone, michelin, nokian, and the occasional avon - which test extremely well for their price.

Hi all, this is my first post. I just bought a 2006 Legacy 2.5 SE.

I think the first mod you should ever make is to yourself.

Take that $300 and attend a high performance driving school. Make yourself the best part of the car.

Then make the car go faster, brake sooner, look better. In that order.

+1

Everybody talking about the RE92s as sucking are complete correct, BUT if you don't drive the hell out of your car, keep it at safe speeds in the rain (like you should be anyways), they hold up pretty well. I have 10k on them, and I don't feel any real need to replace them. Therefore, I can't justify spending the $$ on tires. So my opinion is just run them into the ground, after all you did pay for them. For $300 bucks though, you could go with sways (a little more than $300 for front and rear). The JDM rear sway is awesome, and affordable, or you can go bigger if you want depending on my goals. I just hated the fact that JDM got a bigger one in the back and we didn't, so I had to rectify the situation.

Dissenting view here. Skip the tires. While I think I only put a grand total of 1000 miles on my RE92's, I do not understand all the bashing they get. Are they great performance tires... no, but don't think that spending your $300 on a set of tires like the Falken 512's will make a big difference. The RE92's are perfectly servicable and spending money to replace them while they still have life is of questionable value.

If the money is burning a hole in your pocket and you want more power, I'd get an uppipe and downpipe. If you want better braking and handling feel, get a rear sway bar and stainless steel brake line. If you can bring yourself to save up, wait till you get $650 together and buy an AccessPort.

no just save your moneyif anything think of the future don't you guys get hit with alot of snow I was think snowtires just a thought then you can start to save up fore new rimes and tires in the next summer if your on a buget. If not do the brake upgrades. what color is your car

Archived