LegacyGT.com

Flasher Module

subatwo

what's needed is one pulser, with two outputs that are enabled by individual grounding. ground one = left LEDs blink, ground the other = right LEDs blink, and ground both (2 diodes to common point) and all LEDs blink

maybe you buy just one solid state pulser, and split its output to two different paths that can ground enabled as described.. A circuit with a just a few components.

Scott

Hey, the hazards are always normal.. that's the clue!!

So we can hack the denso for LEDs and not get the hyper flash.

If the theory holds just need to add 2 diodes and 2 transistors into the denso: make it so signaling either left or right trips hazard line so all four corners are flashing. One diode from hazard input line to each signal input line should do this. And then also snub out the "other signal direction". So splice a NPN transistor into the low side of each relay (Collector to coil, Emitter to denso microcontroller line, and Base to the signal line of the opposite signaling direction.)

Now, when you signal left or right, the hazards are actually tripping but only half of the car is allowed to blink. And when you do use the hazard button both sides of the car blink as normal because both signal lines are normally held high.. and diodes do their job by protecting current flowing the other way.

Since the hazard circuit driver always makes nice normal blinks no matter what LEDs or light bulbs are plugged into the sockets... this should do the job.

Scott

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, the hazards are always normal.. that's the clue!!

So we can hack the denso for LEDs and not get the hyper flash.

If the theory holds just need to add 2 diodes and 2 transistors into the denso: make it so signaling either left or right trips hazard line so all four corners are flashing. One diode from hazard input line to each signal input line should do this. And then also snub out the "other signal direction". So splice a NPN transistor into the low side of each relay (Collector to coil, Emitter to denso microcontroller line, and Base to the signal line of the opposite signaling direction.)

Now, when you signal left or right, the hazards are actually tripping but only half of the car is allowed to blink. And when you do use the hazard button both sides of the car blink as normal because both signal lines are normally held high.. and diodes do their job by protecting current flowing the other way.

Since the hazard circuit driver always makes nice normal blinks no matter what LEDs or light bulbs are plugged into the sockets... this should do the job.

Scott

now explain this to me in english and i can try it

now explain this to me in english and i can try it

ya, if you're not an electronics guy this would confuse for sure, and best not to attempt yourself.

but better yet, I'd do it for you if you mailed me a denso module. I'd test the idea out.. and send it back

the electronics would be packed into the module, so when you get the done deal, you do a plug compatible swap

out and return your original car part to the dealer for restocking.. just an idea ;-)

Scott

ya, if you're not an electronics guy this would confuse for sure, and best not to attempt yourself.

but better yet, I'd do it for you if you mailed me a denso module. I'd test the idea out.. and send it back

the electronics would be packed into the module, so when you get the done deal, you do a plug compatible swap

out and return your original car part to the dealer for restocking.. just an idea ;-)

Scott

I'm in for that, where do we get a second module and at what cost?

I'm in for that, where do we get a second module and at what cost?

Strictly a dealer part.. phone their parts department and and ask for a 05/06 Legacy "Turn Signal and Hazard module". Here they're about $65.

Ask them if they take back new unused parts, and about any re-stocking fee for doing that. Tell them you are trying to diagnose a "blink problem" and all the bulbs seem to be in good order.. and you suspect it might be the module.

Wow, things are getting interesting on this topic... I've been crazy busy and haven't tried to mod the flasher yet. I think the LED modules that I found were a little brighter than the incandescents. Tonight I'll pop them in and take a video. The sedan's reflector design is slightly different and the blinker is red, not amber in the back. I'm not sure, but I think red LEDs are usually brighter than most other colors. I don't have an amber one for the front, but if looks like these ideas are workable, I might just order some this week.

Almost everything I've read indicates not to use white in colored lenses. Probably best to pick a matching color. "White" leds often are a little more blue or purplish than would look good.

Here's my videos of comparing the LED to incandescent bulbs. It's tough to do the LED justice in these videos because it does look "dimmer" but in person, it really grabs your attention better. Arguably, I think it appears brighter in person.

Both videos are at night... if somebody wants it in the day, I can get one of that too.

Close up of bulbs:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsJxMjhiY64]YouTube- Legacy GT LED Turn Signals[/ame]

Furtherback:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjQstVGOjWs]YouTube- LGT LED Turn Signals[/ame]

2067226106_RedLED7443-1.jpg.0ae20298f6f22225dc4d8a7719836fe0.jpg

Um aren't those load resistors like $10 bux?

If you have confidence in hacking your own denso module, you already own it so it doesn't cost extra.. parts (2 x diodes and 2 x transistors) should be less than ten bucks. For me, all together it would be about 80 cents.

One up-side of not using load resistors is that your LEDs for hazards would last a heck of a lot longer at the side of the road before your battery runs down.. Go all day.. and the next day.. and the next.. Load resistors mimic bulbs (no light but make heat) so battery won't last any different than bulbs..

Something to think about anyway..

Scott

Could have a break-through here... somebody prove me right or wrong. I think I found a pre-made, replacement signal module for LEDs that'll fit the LGT.

Check out this page:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html

Look at "CF18-08". (I attached a screenshot of the datasheet with pin outs). Judging from Scott's pictures and wiring diagram for his tap turn mod, it looks like the pin out on this guy is identical. I still haven't pulled the module out of my car to know what it looks like firsthand; so does this thing look like it'll physically fit right in?

It's only $12.95+$5 shipping, I'd be willing to "take one for the team" and try it out if it looks like it'd work.

1653675396_CF18ALT(ledflasher).JPG.ce984eea1b0dc0d513f872c000487695.JPG

Archived