LegacyGT.com

Advice on replacing tires

K_2

I have a 2006 Outback Wagon with about 14K miles on it. At 13K, I was in a wreck and damaged my left rear tire, requiring it's replacement. I just spoke with a shop tech at a local dealership and he advised me that I need to replace all of the tires at once so as not to damage the drivetrain.

The owners manual reads "All four tires must be the same in terms of manufacturer, brand (tread pattern), construction, degree of wear, speed symbol, load index and size. Mixing tires of different types, sizes or degrees of wear can result in damage to the vehicle's power train...."

Can anyone shed some light on this? I figured that I'd need to maybe get a matching rear tire, but never thought I would have to have four new tires.

Thanks,

Kathryn

The reason I don't buy "hazard" on the tires for my GT is the unfortunate need to replace all tires if one is beyond repair. The allowable tolerances are pretty tight, so I would just bite the bullet and pay for the tires (and not the drivetrain).

I just had to buy 4 new ones after finding a small cut in the sidewall on one of mine. Thankfully, there were already 38,000 on the tires. If it were around 10,000 and I may have stroked out.

BTW, now looking for a full size spare. Seeing the donut on my car about makes me want to cry.

Shave the new one (same tire & size of course) down to match the tread depth of the other three - if you've got a lot of life remaining it's probably worth it, unless you're just tired of the rather mediocre OEM tires already :)

Hey, thanks so much for all of the advice. Iuksob03, if I end up having to replace the three tires, I might be willing to part with one that will be coming off. I'll pm you and let you know once I make a decision.

Archived