LegacyGT.com

Anyone planning to do HID mod on new Leg GT..?

gtguy....i was just reading through some of the posts from the NASIOC thread. It is very enlightening and informative information in regards to the legal compliance of automotive lighting. Mr108 even gives some insight into the use of HID kits in H7 hologen projectors. For the most part though I still feel we are a minority in the use of aftermarket lighting to enhance the performance of our headlights... ha-evolution....thx for the link..
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

[quote name='gtguy']Aftermarket HID systems are the matter in question, and IMHO, those should be made illegal. HID, in a reflector setup, splashes light all over the place. The result is annoyance for some, a dangerous condition for elderly and other light-sensitive drivers. HIDs are fashion, and have minimal advantage over a properly-designed halogen system. But generations of drivers, weaned on woeful halogen reflector setups, and the nigh-ubiquitous 9007 housing, got used to poor light. HIDs came along, and suddenly it was "Wow, that's a LOT better." Yes, it is. But compared to an H7 projector halogen setup, HIDs are a fairly minimal gain, for a lot more expense. Blue bulbs should go into the trash heap, right alongside aftermarket HID setups. The problem is that people compare them to junk, and think they're better, which isn't necessarily the case. Almost anything is better than junk. When I installed my Prodrive projectors on the WRX, my reaction was "Wow, that's rocking!" I installed some VisionPlus bulbs in H7, and was even happier. But that's compared to, as we all know, the inferior 9007 setup on the bugeye WRXes. The newer, H-series projectors on the redesigned WRXes should and do light the road much better. Now, a poorly aligned halogen setup can be just as annoying as an HID system. But because of the Kelvin ratings of the two systems, an elderly or light-sensitive driver will be much more incapacitated by the HID output, than the misaligned halogen one. The fundamental problem isn't HIDs or not, it's poor headlight design vs. good headlight design. Finally, I would wager that if HIDs were outlawed period, you wouldn't see squat from car manufacturers, who would be happy to install lower-cost halogen projector systems in their cars. Manufacturers are putting HID systems on because people want them, and their job is to give people what they want, so that they can sell more cars. Kevin[/quote] Great input Kevin. This is exactly the point I was trying to make on the first page, only much more detailed.

Archived