LegacyGT.com

Anyone planning to do HID mod on new Leg GT..?

Since we all now know its coming with hologen projector headlights for the low beam, I figured if it was an H7 bulb we could just buy an H7 bulb adapter for the D2S xenon bulb. I already have a pair of bulbs, ballasts, and a wire harness ready. I just have to get the adapters whenever I buy the car....Any auto headlight experts with some advice..? BTW....is this car coming std. with foglights too?....if so sweeeet.... :D
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

[quote name='Ridgeracer']BTW....is this car coming std. with foglights too?....if so sweeeet.... :D[/quote] Yes, the Legacy 2.5GT comes standard with foglights. I found this out in the specs. for the Legacy on the need-desire website.
-ben

[quote name='axis008'][quote name='Ridgeracer']BTW....is this car coming std. with foglights too?....if so sweeeet.... :D[/quote] Yes, the Legacy 2.5GT comes standard with foglights. I found this out in the specs. for the Legacy on the need-desire website.[/quote] as long as the foggies are better than the WRX ones. For the freaking size they are almost worthless. I wish there were driving light instead. Cheers Nick

I plan on actually seeing how well the headlights function before making that kind of decision. Xenons have become just a "metoo" feature, and lots of people just assume they illuminate better just because they cost more. Also, people are enamored of the light color (hence all the blue bulbs out there). A well designed halogen projector lamp can throw out as much light as an HID unit at a fraction of the cost, so I'm personally glad we don't have to pay for the HIDs (assuming the halogens are good).

I'm impressed with my Sylvania XV's so far. Had Silverstars until one burn't out after like 11 months or something (no didn't have reciept for 1-year warranty.) Put the XV's in which are less than half the cost, better light output with not as sharp a drop-off. Were great on the ice for night ice race the other week! I'd like HID's, but I guess it's more of a form over function thing until I truly compare the two. If the lamps are as good as everyone says they are, I'd probably be happy with just a set of <$20 XV bulbs to enhance the vision. Remember for those who want to import JDM lamps, it may screw up your vision as they are mean't for the opposite side of the road. IIRC road lamps will point towards center where high beams will point towards side, opposite of ours because of driving side of road. If you get any international lamps, get EDM ones.

Hey Nick, if you tilt your fogs up just a bit, you'd find that they make very good driving lights. There's a Philips head screw at the upper inside corner of the fog. Clockwise is up, counterclockwise is down. You can adjust them for a very nice throw/fill pattern that augments your headlamps. As long as the Legacy takes an H-series bulb, as much as a 40% lighting improvement is but an order from PowerBulbs (in the UK) away. Philips VisionPlus bulbs in H-series are the bee's knees, sufficiently good that you won't miss HID. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']Hey Nick, if you tilt your fogs up just a bit, you'd find that they make very good driving lights. There's a Philips head screw at the upper inside corner of the fog. Clockwise is up, counterclockwise is down. You can adjust them for a very nice throw/fill pattern that augments your headlamps. As long as the Legacy takes an H-series bulb, as much as a 40% lighting improvement is but an order from PowerBulbs (in the UK) away. Philips VisionPlus bulbs in H-series are the bee's knees, sufficiently good that you won't miss HID. Kevin[/quote] I have to try that. althought I have to admit that I used my foggies about 6 times the last 3 years. I agree the H series bulbs are much better than the 900x type... Cheers Nick

it pisses me off how HIDs are gonna be illegal next year soo stupid stupid nerdy people are just jealous cause their light isnt as bright as HIDs :evil: anyways how can i buy HID for legacy on the internet???

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

Aftermarket HID systems are the matter in question, and IMHO, those should be made illegal. HID, in a reflector setup, splashes light all over the place. The result is annoyance for some, a dangerous condition for elderly and other light-sensitive drivers. HIDs are fashion, and have minimal advantage over a properly-designed halogen system. But generations of drivers, weaned on woeful halogen reflector setups, and the nigh-ubiquitous 9007 housing, got used to poor light. HIDs came along, and suddenly it was "Wow, that's a LOT better." Yes, it is. But compared to an H7 projector halogen setup, HIDs are a fairly minimal gain, for a lot more expense. Blue bulbs should go into the trash heap, right alongside aftermarket HID setups. The problem is that people compare them to junk, and think they're better, which isn't necessarily the case. Almost anything is better than junk. When I installed my Prodrive projectors on the WRX, my reaction was "Wow, that's rocking!" I installed some VisionPlus bulbs in H7, and was even happier. But that's compared to, as we all know, the inferior 9007 setup on the bugeye WRXes. The newer, H-series projectors on the redesigned WRXes should and do light the road much better. Now, a poorly aligned halogen setup can be just as annoying as an HID system. But because of the Kelvin ratings of the two systems, an elderly or light-sensitive driver will be much more incapacitated by the HID output, than the misaligned halogen one. The fundamental problem isn't HIDs or not, it's poor headlight design vs. good headlight design. Finally, I would wager that if HIDs were outlawed period, you wouldn't see squat from car manufacturers, who would be happy to install lower-cost halogen projector systems in their cars. Manufacturers are putting HID systems on because people want them, and their job is to give people what they want, so that they can sell more cars. Kevin

good point gtguy.......i would not recommend anyone to install HIDs in a reflective based headlight system. Its just an annoyance to the driving public out there. H7 projector systems are a very big improvement over the 900X but i beg to differ about H7 being comparative to the performance of a well designed HID base projector system...For starters, an H7 bulb rated at 55W only puts out 1500 lm of light vs. a 35W D2S bulb which puts out 3200 lm...Now how effective is the projector in converting that output into useful light is another question but over the years i have seen some very good OEM HID projectors.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Here's a nice summary from Sema about what the NHTSA is doing in regards to HIDs: NHTSA’s current estimated timetable for action: · Publish proposed rule to regulate certain front-mounted auxiliary lamps (ex: fog lamps) in early 2004 · Publish proposed rule for headlamp mounting height in early 2004 · Reach a decision on how to address HIDs and other advanced lighting sources in early 2004 (and probably issue a proposed rule) · Issue a proposed rule to regulate HID-knock-offs in early 2004 · Reach a decision on how to address headlamp aiming issues in mid 2004 Found here: [URL]http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=25405[/URL]

[quote name='Ridgeracer']good point gtguy.......i would not recommend anyone to install HIDs in a reflective based headlight system. Its just an annoyance to the driving public out there. H7 projector systems are a very big improvement over the 900X but i beg to differ about H7 being comparative to the performance of a well designed HID base projector system...For starters, an H7 bulb rated at 55W only puts out 1500 lm of light vs. a 35W D2S bulb which puts out 3200 lm...Now how effective is the projector in converting that output into useful light is another question but over the years i have seen some very good OEM HID projectors.[/quote] Agreed. My Prodrive/VisionPlus projector setup isn't that far off an Audi or Acura HID setup. BMW is better, Mercedes is best of all. I also wonder if the Hella optics in my Prodrives have something to do with how well they convert output to light. Kevin

[quote name='ha-evolution']Another interesting thread regarding this subject on NASIOC: [URL]http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=455815&perpage=25&pagenumber=1[/URL] Even includes input from a NHTSA employee (Mr108). -td[/quote] Wow. That thread reminded me of why I don't visit NASIOC any more. :lol: The input/comments from the NHTSA employee regarding aftermarket HID systems were accurate, apt and interesting. Kevin

Archived