LegacyGT.com

1997 Legacy 2.2 solid lifter engine - ticking??

Just this week I purchased a 97 Legacy with 2.2 engine. Upon cold startup, the engine ticks. After driving for 25 miles until the engine is totally warmed up, the ticking is 75% quieter, barely noticeable inside the car. Researching this on the net, I read that with the 2.5 engine this could be piston slap. Nowhere have I read that piston slap is an issue with the 2.2 engine. My understanding is the 2.5 had shorter piston skirts which caused the slap, and that the 2.2 did not have the shorter skirts to cause slapping. I called two different authorized Subaru dealerships and spoke to the service managers of each. Both told me that it was probably piston slap, but then they also both told me the engine had hydraulic lifters. From research on the net, I read that beginning in 1997 the 2.2 engine was equipped with SOLID lifters which could be adjusted. Since I'm not finding much consensus on what might be causing the ticking noise in this engine, I'm concluding on my own that perhaps this ticking is caused by a solid lifter being out of adjustment, and not piston slap as I've been told. Do any of you guys who frequent this forum have any knowledge of this particular engine and what might be causing the ticking noise in this engine? Thanks very much for shedding some light on this.

I have a 98 with the 2.2, makes that very distinct ticking noise on cold start. The colder, the louder. Definitely the mechanical lifters, according to my mechanic, who researched it before I bought it. I don't think it can be adjusted out, but not to worry. It has been a great car.

How many miles? If it was pistol slap you'd know it, sounds like a bad bearing. The valves can be adjusted but tend not to need it.

FWIW I found Castrol High Mileage oil really quieted my 97 2.5's on cold start.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 3 years later...
I may have to see if mine is the same. Is there VIN # for the early and late models where some models with the 2.2 has the solid lifters? If that is all it is I can adjust tappets. Do it all the time. My Porsche has solids too.

My 2.2 sound like ball bearings on the top end. I have found that maybe it's the alternator though. It's definitely near the top of the engine and gets noisy.

I pushed on the alternator and the noise went away. No complaits though, this car has been a godsend.

Get under the car and check for leaking exhaust gaskets or a cracked header. I know the noise seems to be coming from the top end of the car, but it's worth a shot.

As far as the alternator, check the torque of all the bolts holding the alternator and the bracket to the engine. If its an internal alternator problem (bearing) then you should just replace the alternator or have the one on there rebuilt. It might not be internal though since isn't the noise goes away when you touch it. Alternator bearings will make noise all the time, since the bearing is supported in the alternator case. Touching the alternator would give no added support to the bearings making them quieter. It could be the case on the alternator though. If it is, don't even bother replacing it unless the tick is really driving you crazy, as it will not impact alternator performance.

The valves of a solid lifter engine can still tick by the way.

Fuel injectors can also tick. Take a long flatedge screwdriver with a hard plastic handle and place the tip over the injectors with the engine running. If you hear the noise through the handle of the screwdriver when you put your ear to it then you should search for new injectors.

Archived