LegacyGT.com

Trip to Dealer for new headlight + brake rotor resurfacing

So, I took a trip to the stealer. Saw they upped their oil change price to $52.99 (up from $49.99). I got a full synthetic change + tire rotation for $60 (incl synth oil) from a local Subaru performance shop. For the 30K checkup, they want $739!!!

Anyways.. On to the warranty stuff..

Replaced passenger side low beam (driver's side was already replaced).

AM radio harness had to be ordered.

trim piece that fell off passenger seat had to be ordered.

fix kit for sensitive remotes had to be ordered.

Mentioned the brakes were vibrating a bit, and they resurfaced all 4 rotors. WOW, what a difference!! Overall stopping power maybe not much better, but overall feel is SO much better - feels MUCH more like my wife's Mazda3.

Glad I mentioned it to them!

Hope to get the other stuff done next week.

Warranties are a good thing :-)

HV

What is a sensitive remote?

When getting new brake pads, do you always resurface the rotors? I always say no unless there is wobbling, but the shops always want to resurface anyway.

Ah, I see you're new here :-)

Search for (I know it's spelled wrong) "sensative remote" for more info.

Basically, the older keyless entry remotes were VERY easy to activate. So easy that by putting them in your pockets and bending down, you could lock/unlock your car. Many people got tired of it. Some fixed it with foam tape. I decided to wait for Subaru's offical fix, which I'm getting next week (hopefully).

As for resurfacing the rotors - I didn't get new brake pads. I just complained about wobbling, and they resurfaced them to fix it. I believe I have 8mm front and 5mm rear left (19K miles on the car - lots of stop 'n go traffic).

HV

With reference to the sensitive remote refit kit, my dealer ordered the kit with the assumption that Subaru knew it provided two remotes with every new vehicle....therefore common sense would indicate that Subaru would ship the refit kits with two components. Nope! The kit did a great job updating one remote....now we are waiting for another kit to fix the second remote. If there is still time, make sure your dealer orders two kits.

With reference to the sensitive remote refit kit, my dealer ordered the kit with the assumption that Subaru knew it provided two remotes with every new vehicle....therefore common sense would indicate that Subaru would ship the refit kits with two components. Nope! The kit did a great job updating one remote....now we are waiting for another kit to fix the second remote. If there is still time, make sure your dealer orders two kits.

Thanks for the hint! I'll definitely ask if they got two kits before bringing them back for the fix..

HV

Thanks for the hint! I'll definitely ask if they got two kits before bringing them back for the fix..

HV

And, as sure as the SRT-4 is teh fasTAR, they only ordered one... Just got off the phone, and they'll order another one..

Carlsen Subaru in Redwood City, for those who care :-)

HV

What is a sensitive remote?

When getting new brake pads, do you always resurface the rotors? I always say no unless there is wobbling, but the shops always want to resurface anyway.

e b4 they have to replace the rotor

The above is BS by the dealer. Every time they resurface they reduce total rotor life. Ask them how many times they can resurface the rotors. You will not be pleased with the answer.:icon_mad:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

e b4 they have to replace the rotor

The above is BS by the dealer. Every time they resurface they reduce total rotor life. Ask them how many times they can resurface the rotors. You will not be pleased with the answer.:icon_mad:

Supposedly the dealer will *always* resurface first if possible because its cheaper. I had mine resurfaced early on which the pricks made me pay for now not too many kms later they need to be "replaced", only this time I bitch3d so theyre paying...

• 2 years later...

I have the same brake problem on my '08. Didn't want to start a new thread so I figured I'd bump this one. Is a resurfacing covered under warranty? I wasn't sure from the pamphlet they give you with the manual. I interpret it to mean they are once.

Anyone know for sure. It sounds like from the posts above some shops do it for free others don't, what's SOA's official rule?

Thanks!!

Is this something they are covering under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty? I am outside the 3 years but I notice the remotes are way to sensitive as well and hate to have to pay for something that should have been made right the first time.

I have the same brake problem on my '08. Didn't want to start a new thread so I figured I'd bump this one. Is a resurfacing covered under warranty? I wasn't sure from the pamphlet they give you with the manual. I interpret it to mean they are once.

Anyone know for sure. It sounds like from the posts above some shops do it for free others don't, what's SOA's official rule?

Thanks!!

If you have less than 36K they should resurface for $0. I brought it back to the dealer 2 times before they just replaced them on the 3rd. It started for me at 500 miles, then 17K, and finally replaced at 28K.

The brake rotors are covered for 3/36k. Do NOT let them tell you it is covered 12/12k as that is a common mistake(most manufacturers cover for 12/12k)
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Thanks for the info. I'll be calling the dealer today to see about fitting me in. It's starting to get worse I think.

Since I have moved I am doing more driving on back roads. I really only notice the vibration during hard braking above 45mph. I really don't notice it on the highway, but I tend to engine brake alot and slow down easier. When I am on back roads I like to have fun, which of course requires harder braking entering turns :p

If you don't swap out the pads, the brake pedal vibration will just come back. I believe it's the material in the stock pads that builds up on the rotors. I upgraded to Hawk pads and have not had this problem since... Worth the upgrade cost for sure.

Which Hawks did you go with?

Archived