LegacyGT.com

HELP! Scratched bumper...BAD

I was backing out of a parking spot in a parking garage and scraped a concrete wall. The scrapes are not deep with the exception for a tiny section at the top. Can this be compounded/buffed out or fixed without going to the body shop? I have a buffer, nothing crazy just a Black & Decker. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It's ironic because I always park my car in no man's land or in the driveway at home worried that some a$$hole is gonna ding it but the only a-hole scratching it is ME. :( Well, 50,200 on the odometer and the first serious wound, not too bad.

IMG_0307.thumb.jpg.317589e4ad3192c549888d96dbbf7938.jpg

IMG_0308.thumb.jpg.d849fa1a931e86b76341b22c5ee79471.jpg

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that.

As a rule of thumb, try the least abrasive methods first to see if the end result is something you can live with. If not, try the next step up. In the end you can can always have the bumper repaired professionally. A good repair person probably could blend that away and make it look almost good as new.

Ken

You might be able to polish that out. What I would suggest is that you get a tube of Meguiar's ScratchX and try that first. This is a localized area of damage and using a really abrasive cutting compound (the kind you are going to need on those scratches) will likely cuase some damage to the rest of the paint if you aren't careful. So get some ScratchX and apply it to the corner of a towel. Rub fast and hard in the direction of the scratches. You don't need to overshoot the scratches very much. The goal is to level down the paint that is scratched and leave as much of everything else alone.

I've removed damage like that before with ScratchX by hand. You don't necessarily need a machine to do it. Be careful that you don't burn your fingers though. This type of work requires a lot of friction and you can burn your fingers through the towel. Just follow the directions on the product label and you will be fine.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I don't think there is much danger of wearing off your clear coat by hand no matter what you are using. Light scratches like the ones under your door handle don't really need much work to clean up anyway. You really aren't removing any clear coat when you use it there. You are just rounding off the edges of the scratch and cleaning it out. They are such shallow scratches that it doesn't take much to remove them.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

You could try and fix it your self using PAINTSCRATCH.com but it will be noticable.That needs a repaint if you want it to look right. Looking at $400. This is my fix,but I think on that part of the bumper it would be difficult.http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18402

Denial is your best friend

Archived