LegacyGT.com

Opinions On Memphis Audio

culmbn

Well i've been looking around and decided that i can't afford any Boston Acoustics or higher quality stuff so I will go mid level. Memphis impressed me when I was in the audio shop looking for products.

Anyway, I am thinking about useing the stock headunit and going with the Memphis 6.5" sync components system in front (these are the new model where the tweeter can be in traditional coax location or seperated) and the power refference 6.5 coax in the rear door.

What do you people think about this set up?

Any cons that you can think of?

They are both rated at 50w rms so I am looking for a decent amp to run these. Small and cheap, suggestions would help here.

thanks

I had some Memphis stuff in my my old Blazer about 7-8 years ago (they used to be called Fultron), specifically a set of 4x6 and 6x9 components and 2 12" Aria subs on a 300w (150x2) amp. I was always happy with the sound quality and the subs hit 140.6 dB at a dB drag one time. I would definatley recommend them.

I use to work at a higher end car audio shop and Memphis was our entry level line...sold it when it was Fultron and ARIA was their 'higher end line' then they moved it to Memphis (all marketing)

GREAT STUFF!!! The best bang for the buck by far. I can not say anything bad about any of their products. It was the stuff we put into a kids car w/a JL W4 or whatever with an big old amp meanwhile the Memphis Coax's ran on the head unit...the reason why? They are indestructible!

Hell we hooked up one of their 1" tweeters full range hooked up to an APA-50 (2x25) PPI Sedona at full tilt and at full range. Wouldn't even clip...so we just plugged it into the wall. That did it.

Oh and they sound pretty decent too...

I'll see if I can dig up some pics of our Memphis dB Drag Competition car. we had 8x12 inch subs in a CRX...it hurt!

WOW - I wasn't too sure about going with the memphis product. I've been out of the car audio sceen for a while. I use to run an orion system before it got jacked from my car. Since then haven't really wanted to get back at it until now. But this time I don't want a system people can feel me come from 1/4 mile away. I was running a hcca 2500. As far as I know it wa a custom amp. They didn't produce too many of them. and mainly just for compitition.

I was thinking of doing the M class speakers and then using a kicker solo baric L5 - 10" sub on a mono block amp. But I wanted to use the truck box that they pre-tuned straight from kicker.

Any suggestions on the amp I can use to run the door speakers? Basically 50w rms to 4 speakers.

Memphis use to have a 4x75 watt amp that was our best seller

For the next price point and sound quality JL's amps are killer IMHO. I am an old school PPI and Xtant amp fan. Not sure what either are up to anymore but if I recall the former designers of both of those companies now work for JL? But that was years ago...

I think Xtant was lowered in sound quality when it was sold to MTX but I would have to listen to them to tell you. The last amp I ran was an Xtant 4x75 and it was absoultely beautiful sounding...it should have been for what it cost

I am getting ready to install some things I have left in my Dad's barn in my Leggie...an old PPI A404.2 and some old PPI Piston subs (for now they will be replaced by a single 8" JL soon) undecided on high pass probably Memphis or JL's.

Well sounds like you got your plan set. What 8" JL are you using? I wanted to use an 8" for bass but wasn't sure on quality of sound from an 8". i have an old 8" RF punch 2 that I was going to custom fit in the back. Sort of a stealth box.

I have ran two different 8" driver set up's

3 x 8w6's off a PPI A600.2 and they were killer...they felt like two ball pean hammers hitting the sides of your head.

2x8w1's in a JL factory enclosure...they called it the MicroSub 8.1. It really sound great. I listen to a lot of classic rock, blues, and alternative (not much rap at all) and they fit the bill perfectly. It ran off the rear channel of my Xtant in a Cherokee until one of Chicago's more upstanding citizens decided they liked it and wanted it.

This time around I am not sure because JL doesn't make that enclosure anymore so probably going to go with a single W0 on one side of the trunk and make my own enclosure...something stealth

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=22

I have already installed the SIRIUS and ready to install a CleanSweep but that'll likely be a Christmas present...

The reason I am piece mealing it together is because I remodeling the basement for a home theater right now and that budget gets bigger every day!

Archived