LegacyGT.com

Another cubby gauge install!

Deer Killer

Ebay/Pro Boost and oil pressure gauge installed. Used some basswood backing with a vinyl cover. The lid can be pulled down to hide them. I used the WRXTra oil pressure sender kit to remote mount the oil pressure sender from the oil plug under the TMIC.

Observations:

1. Getting the block plug out and putting in the kit is a royal pain. I mean there is _no_ room.

2. Cold oil pressure (dealer dino) are above 100 psi, Warm pressures are 85-90, warm idle is 19-25, Since getting an oil pressure gauge effectively gives you an oil temp gauge, even on a 55F morning oil takes about 5-8 minutes longer to get to working temp than engine coolant (considering coolant was at temp at probably < 5 minutes, this is a long time!)

3. I get boost gauge buzz (the needle, no sound) above ~14 psi. WOT or not, doesn't matter. What the?? Completely smooth everywhere else. Perhaps I have a leaky BPV, etc that starts vibrating above this pressure? With stage 2, stock catback I can easily get 17.5-18.75 psi

4. Gauges have no dimmer, which can suck, however there is always the cover to pull down over them.

IMG_1097-w.jpg.0c3173420490a43e8c173b738135a9a4.jpg

IMG_1077-w.jpg.9c554912187ed31ee65ee9c91dca594c.jpg

IMG_1103-w.jpg.6a8d8a614ae0fa7aaebfde7a6ddddf92.jpg

Nice, DK! :D

Try the purple wire from the dimmer switch by the driver's left knee for a dimmable power source?

I haven't tried this yet, but brother eL GaTo pointed this out to me in another thread. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Nice, DK! :D

Try the purple wire from the dimmer switch by the driver's left knee for a dimmable power source?

I haven't tried this yet, but brother eL GaTo pointed this out to me in another thread. :)

The problem isn't the source, it's the gauges. The boost gauge _may_ be ok, but the oil pressure won't be, since it uses the same line in for power and backlight. I suppose someone could try it.

^ Doh!

Oh well, bro, I tried. ;)

Dangit, that's a bummer. :(

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ Doh!

Oh well, bro, I tried. ;)

Dangit, that's a bummer. :(

Yeah I contemplated taking the gauges apart and messing around with them, but that was just too involved. If someone wanted to spend the time I suppose it is possible. The only time it might really be a problem is dark country roads, it's been fine around the burbs..

But pretty damn good for ~$160 in parts, compared to Defi..

I have been having issues with my Ebay/Pro oil temperature gauge.

It floats around alot and bounces between 40psi and 80psi while at speed.

At idle... it is bouncing between 0psi and 20psi.

I hooked up a mechanical gauge to verify and it appears to be a sending unit problem.

Are you having any issues like this?

I have been having issues with my Ebay/Pro oil temperature gauge.

It floats around alot and bounces between 40psi and 80psi while at speed.

At idle... it is bouncing between 0psi and 20psi.

I hooked up a mechanical gauge to verify and it appears to be a sending unit problem.

Are you having any issues like this?

No. Well I did at first because I used a vamp that wasn't small enough for the lead, but that was purely a contact problem. If you really want to test the sending unit hook up an ohm-meter to it and watch it.

What is a vamp?

Mine works fine for the first minute or so... but as the engine warms up... it gets flaky.....

vampire clips, lets you tap into an existing line withing cutting into it, all you need are some pliers. Also will join two wires if you are lazy.

vampire clips, lets you tap into an existing line withing cutting into it, all you need are some pliers. Also will join two wires if you are lazy.

Oh.. nah.. thats not it. All my taps are soldered and heat shrinked. I don't loose power... just get a bad signal.

2 and 1/16th, or 55 mm, would be my bet. :)

Archived