LegacyGT.com

Extreme oil consumption

I would assume that the fact I am already reading at or near the half mark means their PCV fix didnt help.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion yet, deimos. Give it a little time.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet they will be doing a compression check, if in 350-500km the oil has dropped 1/2 qt already.

If the compression test is good, then I'm sure it is a ring problem, possibly a bore issue, but those are rare. Subaru has 2 different sized piston sets named A & B, depending on the bore measurements, one or the other is chosen at assembly. You perhaps, could have gotten a mismatched set?

Keep us updated, this is very interesting....

I bet they will be doing a compression check, if in 350-500km the oil has dropped 1/2 qt already.

If the compression test is good, then I'm sure it is a ring problem, possibly a bore issue, but those are rare. Subaru has 2 different sized piston sets named A & B, depending on the bore measurements, one or the other is chosen at assembly. You perhaps, could have gotten a mismatched set?

Keep us updated, this is very interesting....

I just checked my build date, 05/04 which I assume would be a May 2004 likely last car off the assembly line on a sunny friday afternoon!

For the record: 750kms...dipstick dry again, likely another 2-4 quarts of oil loss in 500-700 kms of driving. Its going to service tonight for them to check the level and replace my rotors.

I got a response from the owner of the dealership.

He said there have been some issues at the dealership and that now they will do their best to regain my confidence, by helping me fix the problems through warranty, which they should have started 20000 kms ago. I suggested he let me trade the car on an 07 keeping similar payments so that I could start fresh and he said that wouldnt happen.

Basically nothing has changed, I got a pseudo apology from the dealer and they will (finally) try and fix my cars problems through warranty....great.

Aside from an acknowlagement that things should have been addressed sooner, I guess I expected a bit more from the coversation. Maybe just a real deep heartfelt apology, which I would have given had I been in his shoes, because thats what you have to do when you are the customer service business.

I cant wait for Nov to come, Ill trade this POS in on something else....it wont be an LGT though, as my payments would go up too much. Maybe a mazdaspeed6, doh, much cheaper in Canada! (:()

Well, Subaru's are not for everybody. I guarantee you can go to ANY car thread, and you will have a similar post about each and every car there is! I'm sorry you had to be that one my friend. Kind of shitty I know. Like you said, come November, you will have a new car :) Good luck to ya!

Well, Subaru's are not for everybody. I guarantee you can go to ANY car thread, and you will have a similar post about each and every car there is! I'm sorry you had to be that one my friend. Kind of shitty I know. Like you said, come November, you will have a new car :) Good luck to ya!

Subaru's should be for whoever likes them. Unfortunately lemons make your mouth go sour, especially when the dealer insists its sugar water!

I was at the dealer today picking up some parts. While I was waiting I overheard the parts manager talking to sombody at Subaru Canada. Apparently there's a backorder on our shortblocks. They were looking at a 3 week wait. I guess lots more of our engines are needing rebuilds

I was at the dealer today picking up some parts. While I was waiting I overheard the parts manager talking to sombody at Subaru Canada. Apparently there's a backorder on our shortblocks. They were looking at a 3 week wait. I guess lots more of our engines are needing rebuilds

Its weird because I am the first member that I have read about to see this particular extreme oil loss issue. Others have had consumption and other issues but none on the forums quite so bad.

I think you are just making a far fetched assumption to try and troll this thread.

I know of 1 other engine failure other than deimos' issues....

just an observation, no trolling intended. sorry if my comment was taken the wrong way. I'm probably just sensitized by the delays in getting parts up here. I've gotten spoiled by the Honda supply chain where I never ran into a situation where a part couldn't be had the next day from the dealer.

deimos,

You're not alone. :wink: :wink:

What oil were you using? Mobil 1?

I was losing more than 1 quart in 600 miles and turned out to be a cracked piston ring land in cylinder number 2. I'm bone stock. Fixed under warranty with a new ring set and piston.

I keed I keeed

deimos,

You're not alone. :wink: :wink:

What oil were you using? Mobil 1?

I was losing more than 1 quart in 600 miles and turned out to be a cracked piston ring land in cylinder number 2. I'm bone stock. Fixed under warranty with a new ring set and piston.

Yeah Mobil 1 most of the time (when the dealer remebered thats what I was using at least)

Hmmm thats probably whats wrong with mine. I assume that means an engine rebuild if they have to replace ring/piston? Would that mean that the entire engine would be torn down, examined then rebuilt with the new parts?

I didn't get a new shortblock since the cylinder walls/honing was not affected.

They just replaced all 4 piston ring sets, the piston and intake/exhaust values in cylinder number 2.

Also the turbo was replaced before because its cartridge failed and spewed oil into the intake tract, which probably caused the excessive ping/detonation that broke the ring land.

This was all back in January. Since then, the car's been running flawlessly on Pennzoil dino and the oil level is good.

I keed I keeed

Update: So the car ended up using 2 litres in 844kms. Now they are doing a compression test, so I should know soon whats goin on.

Subaru have also replaced my rotors under warranty.

They ran a compression test, it seems like cylinder 4 is the problem, the dealer is sending it to Subaru canada for repairs as the dealer doesnt do engine tear downs onsite (Luckily!)

The estimate is 4 weeks. The downside is I will be driving a non-turbo AT loaner for over a month. Doh.....:( I asked if they could find me a GT, XT, anything with a turbo, its unlikely but well see.

Melayout, do you remeber how long it took to get your car fixed?

Would this problem have affected driving performance like acceleration, or no noticable difference?

• 3 weeks later...

No news yet on the car.....

Except the fact that someone broke into my vehicle while it was sitting on the dealers lot last night and smashed my window.

Nothing to steal, great.....:(

They ran a compression test, it seems like cylinder 4 is the problem, the dealer is sending it to Subaru canada for repairs as the dealer doesnt do engine tear downs onsite (Luckily!)

The estimate is 4 weeks. The downside is I will be driving a non-turbo AT loaner for over a month. Doh.....:( I asked if they could find me a GT, XT, anything with a turbo, its unlikely but well see.

Melayout, do you remeber how long it took to get your car fixed?

Would this problem have affected driving performance like acceleration, or no noticable difference?

3 weeks at least.

I keed I keeed

3 weeks at least.

Its been almost a month so far, now my window is smashed and they were asking for *my* insurance info, yeah sure... knobs..

Im sure they wouldnt be so quick to cover damage to the loaner they gave me on their insurance....

Apparently my car and an Sti were side by side and the only ones broken into, I guess they assumed, tinted, mildly pimped cars would have good stereos, NOPE! Just teh stocker baby.

Broken rear quarter window, nothing to steal, so the repair is less than my deductible which the dealer is covering although they tried to claim that they have no responsibility for theft or damage to my car while it is in their care on their lot, umm, yeah.

In any case, I just want my car back after all this crap, im tired of driving an AT non-turbo loaner during the best months of the year, I WANT MY TURBO BACK!!

When? :iam:

EDIT: The dealer did NOT cover the window replacement, they charged me for it.

Archived