LegacyGT.com

Extreme oil consumption

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So... I got a call from service today. Apparently they just got the engine back from the rebuilders. They expect to have it in the car by weds-thurs next week.

I cant wait to get my car back, Ive had more than enough of non-turbo, automatic wagons, I suppose the upside is my car will feel fast again! yay!

Im hoping there wont be a "new" breakin period, but I am kind of expecting one after a rebuild.

I still dont have the details of exactly what was done but I assume Ill get that next week.

I am picking up the car in an hour!!! They are "waxing" it fo me right now

I cant wait...

Still dont have all the details on what was done except the longblock was replaced with a "refurbished" one.

From what I understand this means the whole engine was essentially rebuilt and replaced?

I will post more details later. Supposedly I will have to take it easy on the car for 4000kms, this seems a bit high, I understand there is a break-in period but 4k kms? They prob just dont want me finding any major problems for a month or two, anyways...Im excited, just in time for our Canada Day (July 1) long weekend too!

:icon_bigg

hopefully this is the end of the bs problems from this car and dealership..we will see

Got the car back finally! after having to pay $340 for the window that was smashed while the car was on the dealers lot and was in their care.

The owner Mr. Budd, even said to my face when I was complaining about being charged for the window "weve only made $200 off of you" makes me sick, profit is important but he should be more concerned with keeping my business and taking responsibility for cars left in the care of his dealership but obviously this is the least of his concerns..

I was really happy to pick up my car but that kinda soured it, bullshit....:icon_mad:

Anyways I have my car so Im not going to let that crap spoil my weekend. Gotta keep it under 4k now for 2000kms.

Lesson learned: dont deal with Budd's Subaru they dont know the first thing about service.

Damn, my car has been in the shop for a week now for the same thing!!!!

Only problem here is that the dealer isn't mod friendly and they apear to be looking for the reason to deny my warranty. No, we aren't part of SOA so the dealer makes the call.

Break it in hard, how do they know? Since it is a refurbished engine should be "broken in" already.

No its just that the parts arent "new" from the factory, they are rebuilt or whatever but the engine itself was still rebuilt and thus needs to be seated properly at least thats the theory.

No its just that the parts arent "new" from the factory, they are rebuilt or whatever but the engine itself was still rebuilt and thus needs to be seated properly at least thats the theory.

Yeah, cause that worked out so well the last time around:lol: j/k Glad you have your car back. Still trading it in?

ignore him, he'll go away.

Damn, my car has been in the shop for a week now for the same thing!!!!

Only problem here is that the dealer isn't mod friendly and they apear to be looking for the reason to deny my warranty. No, we aren't part of SOA so the dealer makes the call.

I forgot to mention that my car had engine failure (looks like spun rod bearing). so that make sat least 2 cases of failures that we know about due to this iissue.

mccory, who is the other case and is there a thread to it?

I forgot to mention that my car had engine failure (looks like spun rod bearing). so that make sat least 2 cases of failures that we know about due to this iissue.

mccory, who is the other case and is there a thread to it?

melayout chimed in earlier that he had the same problem as me so that makes three.

deimos,

You're not alone. :wink: :wink:

What oil were you using? Mobil 1?

I was losing more than 1 quart in 600 miles and turned out to be a cracked piston ring land in cylinder number 2. I'm bone stock. Fixed under warranty with a new ring set and piston.

as well if you read this months car&driver long term article, it sounds like they got part of the "bad batch" of legacy Gts as they had similar problems: defective clutch, misfiring cylinder, etc.

Yeah, cause that worked out so well the last time around:lol: j/k Glad you have your car back. Still trading it in?

Hehe yeah I would have prob worried if the parts were "new" god knows what state they would have been in, at least with refurbished they are remanufactured to the correct tolerances.

Will I trade the car? we will see, if so it wont be until next spring at the earliest. I still love my car, its just that it has been a huge hassle that I never expected from a new car. Heres hoping that im done with big issues with this car, so unless the tranny explodes tomorrow, its all good ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! What a tale of woe!

The dealer said he only made $200 off you after the $1000s you put out for a lemon? I probably would have spit in his face and game on!!!!!

You might have case in small claims court. Even if the judgement doesn't go your way (though that would be surprizing), you're dragging the owner into court. It could be fun just learning the ins and outs of the legal process. Know a lawyer?

Photograph every future dipstick reading and print out this thread. You have kept copious notes via this forum.

Meanwhile, send the dealer the link to this thread. After all, it ain't personal. It's business. His business.

Sebberry, the car has been running great since I got it back, so nice to be driving it again. I kept it under 4k rpms for 2000kms then brought it up from there. I checked the oil multiple times, and there was even some on the dipstick! Oil levels look fine now, hopefully.

Im at 3500 kms on the engine now and am having my first oil change next week.

Vimy, I have since switched dealers and will be having my servicing done at subaru of mississauga. I explained my situation to service and have told them to make sure all is well with my new engine and oil levels.

Thanks for your support guys.

Nice! SofM FTW! That is where I bought my car and they have been really good, compared to your situation. My friends were looking for a Z4 and they found a couple at Budd's... i warned them about your story. Hopefully they take my advice...

Anyways I switched to Quaker Full Synthetic for Advanced Engines... I'll see how it compares to Mobil1. I was thinking of trying the Synthetic Blend for High Horsepower but I think I want to remain full synthetic.

The two are always the same price at Canadian Tire. Actually, the last 4.4L jug of QFS I bought was $29.99!

Nice! SofM FTW! That is where I bought my car and they have been really good, compared to your situation. My friends were looking for a Z4 and they found a couple at Budd's... i warned them about your story. Hopefully they take my advice...

Anyways I switched to Quaker Full Synthetic for Advanced Engines... I'll see how it compares to Mobil1. I was thinking of trying the Synthetic Blend for High Horsepower but I think I want to remain full synthetic.

The two are always the same price at Canadian Tire. Actually, the last 4.4L jug of QFS I bought was $29.99!

That's a good oil, basically the same as Pennzoil Platinum!

Just had my first oil change on the rebuilt engine at the new dealer, I was 1.5 litres low. Which they assured me is normal given the turbo and spirited driving, seems to be pretty common to lose 1-1.5 litres between OCIs.

Otherwise all is good.

An interesting aside: I asked about the 07s with SI drive and if they were any quicker (Spec B included) I was told unofficially that they were slightly slower, specifically that he thought the 05s held boost longer in the rev range where the 07s drop off a little....interesting.

Archived