LegacyGT.com

Extreme oil consumption

So back in Nov 2005 I buy a beautiful LGT ltd from Budd's Subaru near oakville, it was a "managers car" read demo with 7k kms on it. Got a good deal on a car above my normal price range things were going great.

The car even drives well sometimes and except for the usual clutch stink/slip, studdering, defective pressure plate, pitted brake rotors, rattles, etc, no *real* problems. Edit: and eventually a completely rebuilt engine!

I am currently at 33k kms on the odo and have driven the car around 25k kms since I bought it with 7k kms.

While I am not a mechanic, I love cars and I love my cars, and I do my best to maintain them and keep alert and on top of problems.

I religiously change oil every 5k kms and service on time. Usually between 2000-3000kms after a change I will check the oil. My first oil change at 12k kms I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic.

When I have checked my oil midway between changes each time I was shocked and horrified to find the oil reading so low as to only be a speck or drop on the end of the dipstick. :icon_surp I have had gas station attendents and CAA/AAA guys look at the dipstick all with the same horrified reaction.

In panic each time I called the delear, added a few quarts and brought it in. Each time I got it back with the delear saying "low 1 qrt, normal". What am I to say?

Yesterday after some long driving when moving slowly I heard this, "click-click-click", "tick-tick-ticking" noise, not the usual engine tick but a "something is wrong tick". My brakes seemed to be fairly pitted after the long drive and were exhibiting shake so when I heard the noise I thought, hmm probably the brakes.

Today I call subaru to book an appt and question the service guy and he suggests I check the oil. I said "I just had an oil change 2000kms ago, but Ill check".

I get home and sure enough the dipstick is so dry I didnt even need to wipe anything off it, hell I could have lit a fire if I had a dry stick to rub it against. Just a teeny speck on the bottom of black oil. :icon_mad: So that lovely ticking was engine knock.....great.

I called subaru roadside and had the car towed to the delear, I want them to see the dipstick and what "normal operation" looks like.

I must say, I am really really disheartend and disappointed, this car was supposed to be a dream, and while I have had some fun with it it is having more problems and drinking lots more oil than the 88 rx-7 turbo I traded for it.

This time I will not be taking the car back until this is explained and fixed and "everything is normal" wont cut it this time..........

Phil

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do a search... oil consumption isn't that unusual. Yours sounds a little high.

My LGT uses about 1/2 quart every 5000 miles. No biggie.. I just check it often.

Also... for some reason, our cars are EXTREMELY hard to get a good oil level reading on the dipstick.

Do a search... oil consumption isn't that unusual. Yours sounds a little high.

My LGT uses about 1/2 quart every 5000 miles. No biggie.. I just check it often.

Also... for some reason, our cars are EXTREMELY hard to get a good oil level reading on the dipstick.

I know the LGTs regularly consume some oil, especially Mobil 1. Ive searched and posted in most of the consumption threads, but I wanted my own thread.

Some consumption is expected but a *bone* dry dipstick in just 2000kms no..

Also I might add, no big leaks on the driveway maybe a few small spots (but there are 4 cars at my house) and I have checked the oil in every manner possible and with others who are very knowledgable about how to check oil, ie mechanics

It happened to me 2 times before I figured out that I needed to check it ever 1000-1500 miles.

Thats pretty much what I have been doing every 2000kms or so (1500 miles = ~2400 kms). Something is wrong I mean engine knocking cant be a good thing.

Pretty loud, not droning, but you can hear it with the windows up, I actually thought it was some beater van/car next to me the first few times I heard it.

It could be what you mentioned I wouldnt know, would that be knock?

It comes and goes but was most present or audible between 30-40 kms/hr.

Anyways Im just glad I caught it (hopefully no real damage :(????), I doubt the engine would have lasted much longer on residue..

Have you tried to switch to another oil other than Mobil 1?

I would suggest switching to dino oil for a few changes and see how your oil consumption is after that. I personally have had experenice with my past two cars with oil consumption right after switching to Mobil 1 after break-in. I ran Penzoil for two oil chance cycles. I've switched back to Mobil 1 with no problems now. I get very little to no oil consumption.

Have you tried to switch to another oil other than Mobil 1?

I would suggest switching to dino oil for a few changes and see how your oil consumption is after that. I personally have had experenice with my past two cars with oil consumption right after switching to Mobil 1 after break-in. I ran Penzoil for two oil chance cycles. I've switched back to Mobil 1 with no problems now. I get very little to no oil consumption.

I will definately try a different brand next time. Did you lose more than a quart or so with the mobil 1?

I just want to make sure I can get a good solid answer as to why I cant seem to get an oil reading even past the low mark after just a few thousand kms, time after time.

I lost from .5 - .75 on the LGT between every 3,000 miles. On my Cobra I lost .75-1.5 quarts.

I did what was recommended for the break-in period. Varied revs, kept revs under 4k.

Some folks never had problems from switching to Mobil 1 from the start. I did... twice in a row. :iam:

If you are consuming 1qt every 1k-1.3k miles, and you're not seeing it on the ground or belly pan, than you likely have sticky oil rings. Being that you have only 20k miles, and have been experiencing this since you purchased it.

But see what the dealer is going to do about it. It may not have been scrubbed in properly, sometimes if oil glazes over on the cylinder walls, it gums up the rings. You can usually reverse this process by using something called "AutoRx". It's a proprietary concoction that cleans away varnish, gummed up ring packs, even valve seals, and other oil seals that have either hardened, or lost some elasticity.

I would then run dino oil for 2 OCI's afterwards, to ensure the rings reseat themselves. This will entail you changing your oil about 2-3x in a short timeframe, along with oil filter's, but using dino oil it should be inexpensive.

< feels better with his new oil pressure gauge.

seriously though, I've noticed a huge correlation to boost. Took a trip ~1000 miles, mostly in cruise and/or eco map, and saw no visible oil loss. Other times I think it drank a quart in ~1500-2000 miles. My TMIC is relatively dry too (FYI Patagonian there was a lot of oil in yours :O)

If you are consuming 1qt every 1k-1.3k miles, and you're not seeing it on the ground or belly pan, than you likely have sticky oil rings. Being that you have only 20k miles, and have been experiencing this since you purchased it.

But see what the dealer is going to do about it. It may not have been scrubbed in properly, sometimes if oil glazes over on the cylinder walls, it gums up the rings. You can usually reverse this process by using something called "AutoRx". It's a proprietary concoction that cleans away varnish, gummed up ring packs, even valve seals, and other oil seals that have either hardened, or lost some elasticity.

I would then run dino oil for 2 OCI's afterwards, to ensure the rings reseat themselves. This will entail you changing your oil about 2-3x in a short timeframe, along with oil filter's, but using dino oil it should be inexpensive.

Thanks for the suggestion, would that be due to break-in? (done by dealer, or some guy on a test drive) Hopefully itll be real inexpensive, like covered under warranty! :)

Thanks for the suggestion, would that be due to break-in? (done by dealer, or some guy on a test drive) Hopefully itll be real inexpensive, like covered under warranty! :)

Generally not broken in, is the root cause. I made the suggestion, because the dealer was just blowing it off before, and generally the rule of thumb is 1qt/1k miles is acceptable. You are very near that, so it could go either way.

But if they don't do anything about it, try what I suggested. It'll cost you about $60, for the AutoRx, 3 oil changes, & 3 filter's. Just buy them at Walmart, including the filter's. You'd be surprised how well they really work. Get the ST7317, it has a bigger can for more oil & debris holding capacity.

deimos,

Definately keep us posted.

I was experiencing oil consumption between OCIs, especially during ~1000mi/1600km trips. Albeit not as high as what you're experiencing. It'd usually net me about ~1.2qts per 5000 miles.

That was with Mobil1, Castrol Syntec and Pennzoil Platinum, all 10w30. Odd thing is, is that the last two oil changes were with Pennzoil Platinum 10w30. First Platinum change netted me ~1.2qt/5000mi. Now, the second Platinum change has shown hardly any consumption after a +1000mi trip.

Lately, I've become pretty anal with my automobiles as well as my fiance's '00 CR-V. Oil checks a couple of times a week, tire pressure, coolant, and all other fluids. Ever since I graduated highschool, I've become fairly slack with cars. My LGT just reminded me to stay on top of the game. They're not an investment, but they're an absolute hot-commodity for both my fiance and I with regard to day-to-day living.

Best of luck,

-Jim

I run 15w40 full synthetic and my oil consumption was cut in half. Mobil1 has a reputation for oil consumption in our engines. 15w40 would likely cut that by 3/4.

BTW the 15w40 that I have flows better cold then dino 5w30.

Thanks for the responses guys. Subie is looking at it, Ive told them I want a full explanation for the oil consumption before I get the car back, I also mentioned the possibility of sticky rings.

Ill keep you guys posted.

"German Castrol" full-synthetic 0w30 is often regarded as "magic Scooby engine oil" by many.

Hard to find, but give it a try to see if it doesn't cut your consumption.

I've been lucky. Winky feeds just fine with both 10w30 and 5w30 Mobil1, no consumption issues.

With how much you're consuming, though, deimos, I truly would try to get to a root-cause.

Best of luck!

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

So the service guy calls me this morning. Apparently there is a new service manager (third or fourth since I bought my car if that says anything) he was the one who I spoke with on the phone initially yesterday.

The service guy was courteous, I described the situation. I then said that I didnt want the car back until they could explain the problem with the extreme oil consumption.

I picked up a loaner this afternoon. When I got there the service manager and employee were there. The service guy said that they had a preliminary look and that it seems like it is over 2 qrts low (in just over 2000kms of driving). But he didnt know how much loss a basically dry dipstick indicated. He said that they would check for leaks and damage to the engine and assuming all was good they would have me drive the car for 3000kms doing oil checks every 500kms to chart the oil consumption, something he admitted should have been done the first time I brought the car in with the complaint.

Like edmundu mentioned the service guy said the maximum end of "tolerable" limits is 1 qrt per 1000 kms. I mentioned that no car I have ever seen or known of has used oil like that including old 300k km+ engines and rotaries. He admitted that if the car consumes that much theres pretty much something wrong. I also said that if that was going to be the consumption level of my car that they could have it, I have no interest in driving a lemon.

They are being very courteous with me now because im sure this new service manager pulled up my file and prob crapped himself with the huge list of problems I have had resulting in many trips to service especially while I was telling him over the phone I was getting a strange knocking sound from my engine after 2000kms of driving.

Some of the list:

-clutch stink/slip

-studdering

-Defective pressure plate (replaced clutch/flywheel)

-when they replaced my clutch they didnt put the plug in the tranny so when I got home my car puked transmission fluid all over the driveway, flatbed to subie...

-numerous rattles

-at least 4 instances of extreme oil consumption

Anyways, this is prob the last time Ill buy an early-build demo, and maybe subaru. I have had all of my past problems brushed off by the dealer, maybe this time I will get proper service....

Ill keep you posted

Archived