LegacyGT.com

mirrors

rraabb11

It may also be that the 'older' one has the compass display in the bottom center (as shown in the photo) and the 'newer' one has the compass display as a window in the right hand side of reflective area of the actual mirror (not accurately shown in the photo, as previously stated).

I just removed my autodarkening mirror and replaced it with a standard flip actuated day/night mirror. The one on my '05 OB had the compass display in the lower center and when I was looking at the parts at the dealership I noticed that the new ones had the compass display in the reflective area.

i think it maybe camlock style vs wedge style connection to the windshield-cam requires a clip, wedge requires a screw-2003 and earlier legacy's used clips, do the new ones requires a screw to secure?

I've heard these auto dim mirrors don't dim enough.. spend money elsewhere.

Just what I've heard.. no personal experience.

Scott

Scott

I swear to god, they are like a must to have in the car. I tried by parking my car behind my Outback, and have the headlights on. Turned the dimming off, it was sooo irratating... If I turn the high beem on the car behind my subby, the difference is even more obvious.

Auto dimming mirrors are great unless you have rear window tint, then it gets too dark...in my opinion. Our Outback wagon has tint and the GT sedan does not. I prefer the way the mirror works in the sedan.
It is still ugly.

Scott

I hated the dim, or lack thereof. It was not as dim as a standard flip day/night mirror, and it took too long to activate. All of which is why I got rid of it. The new "satandard" one was ~$30 versus the auto-darkening one that was ~200 or so.

Around here we get long stretches of straight roads that have no streetlights. With no light shining on the sensor of the mirror, it is not 'darkened'. After light shines on the sensor, the mirror auto-darkens --- eventually. From a pragmatic standpoint, this means that if there is no one behind me and then I pass a car, the car I just passed will blind me until the auto-darkening activates, which takes several seconds for it to g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y darken. By that time, my eyes have been screwed up by the blinding light in my rear view mirror.

This technology is not hard to get right, just go to any welding supply store and look at auto-darkening welding helmets. They respond in milliseconds and go to thier full dark setting instantly -- and you can buy one of these helmets for less than $50 if you want a cheap Harbor Freight model. The point is here that they charge a butt-load for the mirrors and they work less effectively than a cheap welding helmet.

I suppose this is one solution, retrofit the mirror with a welding helmet. Now wouldn't that be a sight for sore eyes.... :lol:

I have tinted rear windows and auto dimming mirror. I never notice it working unless I turned it off. It makes a big difference. Mine takes about 2 seconds to go dark if you turn off and on. Since it's always on, I never notice any transitions.

If you set it up like a welding helmet with a fast response time, it might end up cycling on and off and be rather distracting.

Archived