LegacyGT.com

17x8.5 Test fit

ntp

Hi all!

I picked up my LGT wagon this evening and decided to test fit some wheels I had on my 2002 WRX. I've held on to them long enough that I finally have another car that they *technically* fit. Anyway, I took some pics and have some questions about clearance.

The wheels are 17x8.5 +48 offset. As you can see from the pictures, they clear the brakes by a country mile. It's about 3 finger heights (nail to pad) between the caliper and the back face of the wheel.

My questions stem from the width of the wheel. There's only about a single finger's height between the rim and the shock. I plan to put 235/40 tires on them, so does anyone think I'll have any clearance issues? Which side, fender or shock? Thanks in advance!

Neil.

933971659_fromthefront.JPG.b308a58f282a41a24d69b38d9ac026fe.JPG

197817420_wheeltobrakeclearance2.JPG.83bb715ede786bdc4835c4f20c479117.JPG

93775918_tophalfwithstrut.JPG.17619f35b01054d5f1a10727e3097c85.JPG

507917550_wheeltostrutclearance.JPG.151c28b1e1e5454166d0a5ec37474295.JPG

347230193_edgeon.JPG.e0a4a304f2bba673228028ab4d9b6769.JPG

BBS. Straight off the 22b. :dm:

They're basically a Subaru specific BBS RG in a 17x8.5" size. The offset is what makes them "Subaru specific" because, as near as I can tell, they were never offered in a +48 offset with a 8.5" width except on the 22b. Kind of like how the S203 wheel is a Subaru specific BBS RE.

Here's a close-up of the center:

194862129_8330centerafter.JPG.77671bb6c8abf4a50c88ea823ebbb553.JPG

The only issue that you might have, is that the top of the front wheels/tires may stick out past the fenders (with the stock suspension). My 18x8.5" Advan RS' did with 235/40/18 tires and the stock spec.B alignment. The tire protruded ~1/2"-3/4" past the fender at the top. I'm not sure if you'll be able to add in enough negative camber in the front with the stock suspension to clear both the strut body and get the tires/wheels under the fender.

I don't really have a photo of it before, but you can kind of tell by this photo;

http://www.mcnproductions.com/lgt/exterior/lgt8.jpg

-Mike-

OH MAMA! Where did you get those, and did you give up your first born or promise to?

I got them from Gruppe-S on Nasioc back in 2003. They were used (very used - the previous owner must have had an affinity for curbs), but they were only a little more than a new set of Volks as a result. I had them refinished a couple months ago after finding a replacement for one I cracked as I had been planning on selling them (they didn't fit my STi). Now that I have the Legacy though, I think I'm going to keep them.

My 18x8.5" Advan RS' did with 235/40/18 tires and the stock spec.B alignment. The tire protruded ~1/2"-3/4" past the fender at the top.

-Mike-

What's the offset on those? If that's a before pic, what's it look like now and what did you to to get it to fit (e.g. just an alignment; caster/camber plates)? Thanks for the reference.

My god man, those wheels are awesome. I always wanted a set of those for my WRB WRX. I even had the replica 22B wing on my WRX. I had to settle for a set of Rota Formels though, they looked similar but more spokes. If you get them on the Legacy be sure to post pics.

What's the offset on those? If that's a before pic, what's it look like now and what did you to to get it to fit (e.g. just an alignment; caster/camber plates)? Thanks for the reference.

The offset is +48mm. Here is what they look like after my alignment (Cusco coilovers with adjustable pillowball top mounts);

http://www.mcnproductions.com/lgt/suspension/advan7.jpg

http://www.mcnproductions.com/lgt/suspension/advan8.jpg

Camber is -1.7 in the front. If you can get replacement top mounts that are adjustable, then you shouldn't have any problems (as I now have ~1" between the coilover spring and the wheel/tire. The rears should fit just fine, but depending on your tire width, you may have to roll the rear fenders a bit. I had mine rolled, just to be on the safe side.

-Mike-

[curly]oh, a comedian, eh?[/curly]

I have nothing constructive to add other than that they look gorgeous

They certainly didn't look like that when I got them. You should see what they looked like before I had them refinished.

Neil.

Archived