LegacyGT.com

Sport Sharp Mode- more than 243hp?

mand3j

All the articles I've read so far rate the Sport Mode on the 07 spec B as the same as the single map 06 spec B with a power rating of 243hp.

Am I crazy to think that we may see more than 243hp with the Sport Sharp Mode?

What is the point of Sport Sharp Mode if output isn't increased?

I guess I'm not buying the argument that they are only tweaking throttle response.

Maybe Subaru doesn't want to release that info yet seeing how there are still lots of 06's on the lot?

Any thoughts?

My bet would be that it does exactly what it says it will do. In sport sharp mode the throttle will be more responsive so it should have the felling of the engine being more rev happy. And on the automatic equipped cars it will hold the gears longer and be more agressive with its shifting. I don't expect it to output more power although that would be nice of them to do.

What is the point of Sport Sharp Mode if output isn't increased?

An excellent question.

The only real effect of the selector knob at the moment is to make that part of the interior look as cheap as a mid-80's Mazda.

I bet you will find similar performance to the 05-06's with Sport mode, as it says in the article, I bet Subie will squeeze something similar to a stage I tune into the sport sharp, or at least increase performance over the 05/06s by a few tenths. Well see...

Watch the 243hp be nicely underrated like the 06 WRX

Hello,

If you drive an STI and then hop into a stock LGT, you may notice that the flywheel seems to weigh 9000 pounds or maybe the turbo seems to be about 100 times too big. That huge lag in response when you hit the gas pedal is 100% because of the throttle mapping. As soon as you change the throttle mapping in the ECU (via AP or whatever), the LGT becomes as responsive as an STI. The throttle pedal is finally mapped to what your foot is actually doing.

My guess is:

Intelligent = current LGT's throttle mapping, change in boost/fuel/timing to give about 10% better mileage at a cost of a noticeable chunk of power.

Sport = current LGT's mapping in terms of throttle/boost/fuel/timing

Sport Sharp = STI throttle mapping, current LGT's boost/fuel/timing maps.

That makes Intelligent into a fuel economy version of today's LGT, Sport into the normal LGT, and Sport Sharp into a more responsive LGT.

My guess is that Trey will have an AP out relatively quickly (in Cobb-speak, that means half a year or more? :p) that will let you select any three maps you want, which I would guess most people who track their cars would fill this way: "economy" "best map I can use on my normal gas (91, 93, whatever)" and "100 octane" or something like that. Since I travel the back country a lot, I might consider economy, 87 octane, and 91 octane, or something like that.

Joel

Hello,

If you drive an STI and then hop into a stock LGT, you may notice that the flywheel seems to weigh 9000 pounds or maybe the turbo seems to be about 100 times too big. That huge lag in response when you hit the gas pedal is 100% because of the throttle mapping. As soon as you change the throttle mapping in the ECU (via AP or whatever), the LGT becomes as responsive as an STI. The throttle pedal is finally mapped to what your foot is actually doing.

Joel

Exactly what Jon has done with the TDC maps, the car is so much more responsive than the regular stage 2.

Archived