LegacyGT.com

Tech notes/impact on warranty

spin188

This is my first post so please forgive me for any mistakes. I had a troubling experience tonight at my dealer and am wondering if anyone has had a similar issue. When I purchased my '05 LGT, my salesman suggested I have a tech friend of his install (fairly cheaply) a new boost controller on my turbo. I am by no means very knowledgeable when it comes to engines but I do know that the valve allows me control of the boost provided to the engine. I had it done and have not heard word one about it from anyone at my dealer since (during several services). Tonight I noticed that a note on my paperwork indicated that "tech noticed aftermarket boost controller installed". I asked the gentleman at the desk why this needed to be on there and he provided the expected answer that "rules and protocol require they note any aftermarket engine modifications". I understand that such mods could potentially affect the engine's reliability and hence the validity of the warranty. My question to him was "even if I removed it right now and had my turbo fail in another 50,000 miles, would this note provide them a means of escaping the terms of the warranty?" He said that given that occurance, the techs would determine whether there was any correlation and act accordingly. I am quite annoyed that this is now a permanent record especially considering the mod was suggested by their employees. Has anyone had a similar experience and, more importantly, does anyone know what the end result might be?

...because the salesman owned the same vehicle and had the part installed on his. After speaking to him this afternoon, he told me that Subaru has only recently begun taking note of such modifications as a way of avoiding paying for damage caused by after-market products and that this was the first he'd heard of it. Anyway, I'm having the dealership remove the part and document it as such in hopes of protecting my warranty eligibility down the road. I'm just not big enough into engine mods to take the risk on what is, for me, a fairly substantial investment.

Archived