LegacyGT.com

Scratches in front of the air intake?!?

BookemDano

Hi, Tonight I looked closely at the turbocharger air intake in the hood of my Legacy GT. Just in front of the air intake is a series of very fine scratches in the paint running parallel to the air flow. They extend all the way across the air intake. Has anyone else seen this? Is this a known problem? What is the cause? Regards, Dan. p.s., Using a medium polish, I was able to get most of them out there, but many still remain.

These scratches look like they were made by sand or debris being ingested into the turbo air intake, but I can't find anything in the engine compartment.

Regarding towel drying... I'm pretty sure that my scratches were not from a towel. I've only washed mine once (I've had it 10 days), and I used a chamois to dry it. Also, these scratches are parallel and too deep to be caused by a towel.

Regarding drying in general... On a detailing forum, one fellow mentioned that he used an electric leaf blower to dry his car. I tried this with my blower (a Toro from Lowes) and it worked great. (I was careful to NOT blow directly into the air intake.) Although my test involved just wetting down the hood, it only took a few seconds to get almost all of the water off the hood. The last few drops were blotted up with a small towel. With a good wax job, it would work even better.

It's possible that the scratches could have been there when I got it 10 days ago, but I don't think so. I examined it pretty closely at pick up and didn't see them.

Regarding the polish... I got a Menzerna car care kit from CMA. First, I tried the "Final Polish II" (light polish) and then the "Intensive Polish". The "Intensive Polish" isn't as strong as a compounding agent, but it did pretty well. I'd hate to use compound on brand new paint.

Right now, my GT doesn't have any protectant on the paint. This weekend, it will be detailed and then have one-two coats of protectant applied (Menzerna FMJ - a polymer). I hope that helps solve the problem.

Well, I'm still puzzled by the source of the problem, but thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Dan.

P.s., here's a pic of the scratches:

SubieGT_HoodScratches.thumb.jpg.f07d7aaa9dd8cdc8508d1c5a5f61df5c.jpg

No scratches like that for me, although silver is good color, not much shows on it. Did however plow right over a big chunk of tire that popped up in front of me this past weekend in boston. Drilled it with the bumper and ran it over...thought it was going to be bad, but not even a mark.. :D Thankfully! On a funnier note (well sort of) saw this homeless guy holding a styrofoam sign... "Lets just be honest, I just need a BEER"... had all i could do to contain myself... :lol:

[quote name='Dr. Zevil'][quote name='bemani']err ... its called a hood scoop. Its not an air intake for the turbo. And no, I don't have your problem.[/quote] Be nice.. it is an air intake of technically isn't it? :wink:[/quote] I am being nice :( But I don't think that's right. That's equivalent to saying your radiator grille is an air intake for your water pump.

[quote name='agctr']Unsure what may have caused that, looks a bit strange but certainly its happened on the road/hwy as they are all in the same direction and not from washing. Adam.[/quote] The scratches you see are AFTER polishing! The scratches at the bottom of the pic are what it looked like all the way across the scoop before polishing. I think you are right about road, but there are no other scratches like them anywhere on the car. Regards, Dan.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Th3Franz']My hood scoop area is lookin' mighty fine.[/quote] You sound like you're gettin' a bit randy with your Legacy :o

Archived