LegacyGT.com

Factory fit bolt in aftermarket screen, carputer, navi, video

Jerboa113

One HUGE risk you take with getting no-name GPS is that you really have no gauruntee that you'll be able to get updates to your maps.

Pioneer, garmin, Tom Tom, any of the big names arent going anywhere in the foreseeable future but if you get fly by night gps you might end up with the maps you get and thats it. Not to mention the quality of the maps themseleves.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the price of the update maps cost you'll probably be better off buying a whole new unit. Garmin's are like $200, which when you consider you can get a C330 for $300 doesn't makes since you'll probably want some of the newer features.

Untrue an upgrade to current mapsource is 75 dollars

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Well, I wouldn't primarily be using it for the navigation aspect.

I forgot who the maps/GPS are made by, but I think they were bought by Nokia... So I would be kind of safe with that?

I would probably be using more for the ability to play movies, music, and possibly wiring for handsfree cell phone set up. I like that the screen is bigger too compared to the other ones in that price range.

Heh, sorry guys, I just recently moved and am still trying to get settled in. I'm starting a new job Monday so everythings been kind of like 52 card pickup. I REALLY need this done so I'm really heckling my friends to get their parts done so I can test it in this place.

I'm so tired of the hole in my dash.... so very tired :(

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• 1 month later...

I'm really sorry to make this announcement guys, infact I've been hesitating to make it.... but.. I've refunded my donators to the project and at least for now.. declared this a dead project :( I REALLY apologize to everyone for leading you on, especially those who may hve been waiting very patiently for this to work out. I have done all I can to keep things moving with the other people involved in the project, but due to financial restraints, and to some degree a small lack of cooperation, I do not think that it can continue.

We came a long way on the project, almost have a working bezel support, but progress on this is very long in coming and theres still no guarantee that it would even work considering both of my xenarc 700TSVs have been damaged during the design. plus with the recent addition of the transreflective screen from mp3car, I have a feeling that by the time we had this project finished for the xenarc, it would be "old news." Although the transreflective screen is about $270 more than the xenarc 700TSV, the daytime visibility is CONSIDERABLLY better.

I again apologize to everyone for this, but I really dont think I can continue to fund the project and keep on the backs of the other people involved in the project without making them mad. As to what we'll do with what we currently have.. I'm not sure. I am most likley going to be taking my carputer out all together and putting the car back to stock. For navigation I'll just use my laptop.. for music my ipod... I guess :(

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Sad indeed. Who will carry the flame with the Car PC projects from now on ?

Having some experience now myself, I think the only reasonable way in which one could achieve a simple bolt on of a Xenarc is to have another bezel/front plate done and just attach the internals of the Xenarc there. It would probably have to be a 2-3 piece kit (a front plate, a back plate, a support bracket) and everything else designed that you just recover the internals of the xenarc and dump them into the new housing) and done. Easier said than done. Maybe I will approach this project myself after I am done with mine.

Archived