LegacyGT.com

Factory fit bolt in aftermarket screen, carputer, navi, video

Jerboa113

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One with LED status indicators/reset button.

One With USB/aux-in (on a trip where a friend brings his ipod). Possibly 2nd channel out for passenger audio.

One with MAP, another for Music (or main menu). Having buttons is like having screen corner buttons, they're always easy to find w/o looking.

One with LED status indicators/reset button.

One With USB/aux-in (on a trip where a friend brings his ipod). Possibly 2nd channel out for passenger audio.

One with MAP, another for Music (or main menu). Having buttons is like having screen corner buttons, they're always easy to find w/o looking.

I spoke with sirhecubus about this kind of thing today, we were discussing the difficulty of implimenting something like this due to the fact that we would have to mount these items to a pcb, setup traces and a rubbon cable or audio cable etc. as well as make the proprietary connections.

As such, we need to come up with a common design that we can manufacture.

I want at least 2 usb ports because I know a lot of removable HDs and CDroms use 1 for power and one for signal. I also wanted them up front because I make my trip maps and save them to a usb memory key, then open them on the carputer.

So if we can get a consensus on a design that may help a bit, the board is in a redesign phase currently because the original design was a bit confined by the screen. So now is definatley the time if any plan changes are to be made.

The board itself has a size limitation,I think our width is something like 4", sirhecubus may be able to be more accurate on that as I know just about nothing about designing pcb lol.

To assign buttons like MAP or MUSIC would require either a parallel or serial interface to th ecomputer, or perhaps a game port, then you'd need to do programming on the computers part to interpret when you switched this to launch the program, so in order to do those easily someone would most likley need to make a little program that listens on com ports and whatnot. Currently we dont have anyone here locally involved in the project that would know how to do those things.

theres also the issue that the more complicated we make things the more time and more money we're going to have to throw at it.

are you talking about an aux in in the form of a line in to the computer? that would be very easy to do if so, the reset button itself would most likley be easy to make as it would just have wires coming off the pcb and the buyer could do the rest for that, same goes for the LED. I'm going to see if sirhecubus can't address some of these concerns with a little more accuracy

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Cool. 2 USBs are okay.

Just add buttons, they can be hooked in a variety of ways.

I could help you with figuring out how to program these buttons. You can always make them an option, too - i.e. if someone does not care for the buttons these can be "disabled' with dead buttons or something (like the buttons next to mirror control knob).

The points is if you are able to come up with ascentically good looking buttons, preferably like the stock nav buttons, then programming them is really a secondary problem.

The points is if you are able to come up with ascentically good looking buttons, preferably like the stock nav buttons, then programming them is really a secondary problem.

Agreed. I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing that tho.. I've seen it done on TV before how to make molds, but I dont have a navi system myself, and I doubt anyone would be willing to donate

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

hey Darkfox1,

I was wondering about the screen fitment. The stock NAV is listed to be 6.5" and your xenarc is 7" does part of the screen 'hide' behind the bezel? Do you have to cut/modify it for the whole screen to show?

Thanks.

yes, test fits have shownb that the screen is slightly larger height wise than the opening. The width is almost exactly the same. The bottom of the screen will be cut off by about 1/4" or less. In my tests running the xenarc 700TSV with a via epiaa motherboard on 800x600, the single level start menu is all thats not visible.

If you run roadrunner you can easily compensate for this space that is removed by editting the skin's ini file. In windows you will only need to double up the size of the task bar, or move it to the top of the screen.

there is really no easy way to modify the factory trim to view this extra bit, and besides, that was the reason of using the factory nav trim was to avoid the need of this modifaction and the departure from a factory look.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if this thread is still alive, but for all those still interested in the factory nav bezel... Refer to the "tv in dash" thread.

Originally Posted by wichitalegacy http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

I got this from my local subaru dealer for 85. I asked for the navi bezel out of the auto. I hate the thought of having 2 stereos in my car . I went with the clean sweep and diamond audio d6 mids. I am lucky to have a stereo shop 5min away from my house that will let me take equiptment home and try it before I buy it...:icon_bigg

I am not pulling your chain. They told me it was like $103.00 and I told them that is way to much and they told me 90 and I told them to do better than that. I ended up paying 85+tax. This came with the vents and I made my own bracket out of aluminum. It helps when the stealership gets over 60grand from you in 4 months. I bought my perrin fmic from there for 1150 also. If you want one of these bezels I am sure I could get it for you.

Sorry, I did have pics from a few weeks ago, but I hadn't posted em, this is the mockup before any of the fine trimming was done. Since this picture the rest of it has been completed and it only needs to be trimmed up and the hole cut for the usb pcb before it can go into testing.

We would have that this weekend but a business trip delayed that slightly, I'm tryin as hard as I can.. and beleive me I feel your pain, I've had a hole in my dash since april :( I want my carputer back!

remember this is a MOCKUP, so it may not look like much, but the point of this design is to make sure it holds the screen, it doesn't fall out, it doesn't get heat damage or have any kind of major problems, and gives us something physical to measure to adjust our CAD drawings with to send off to have one made. The basic idea is that your screen fits inside of this kit so that its totally secure in the dash, then the kit attaches to the bezel.

bezel.jpg.4bcfcc5d36409a1890f174f20f6678ff.jpg

kit.jpg.5e30649fa588725540ea5bf876f9e79f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

the kit is put together and almost ready to go into the car, it was slowed down a little by a business trip, and the fact that I need to buy another screen or do some creative engieering on the ones I have to test it.

The kits waiting on mounting basically, it wll stay in the dash now but the part that holds it during bumps and whatnot is what we're finalizing, I dont know that it will be this weekend as I THINK its halloween? (I dont really know heh) but perhaps the next to have pictures. I'm excited! I may have a trip coming up soon that will be an excellent test for the screen.

This looks promising but I wonder if this:

http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DSH-013 with this http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46539 would work nice. I really would like to do something like this but I want it to look clean.

Any clue if that kit from mp3car.com woul fit in the cubby area somehow? or are we required to remove the car stereo? kind of hard to do that since mine does AC and what not.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived