LegacyGT.com

Stereo upgrade from Custom Shop ?

fwellers

Hello,

I've read what I see on the forum about stero upgrades, but I have a couple of questions.

Not being handy/confident enough to do this myself, I want to take the 06 Leg Sedan to a custom shop in Northern Va.

What I want is to upgrade the system so that it sounds like a more topshelf system like on a Lexus or other real high end car. I'm thinking like Bose quality speakers, some more base ( not excessive ), also probably some acoustic modification like a dynamat type material on the doors.

Any idea about how much I should spend to have all that done ?

Also, does anyone know of a good place in Northern Va to get it done ? The local place I called, didn't really address my concerns which are that after the work is done, everything would be put back so that there are no rattles/gaps etc.. in any stuff they had to take apart. The said they havent' actually done a car like mine yet. They've worked plenty of wrx's but no sedans. I don't know if that matters. They said "We are a custom shop, so we can do it", but I am thinking I may want to find someone who has upgraded this type of car and knows all the ins and outs. Is that too anal ?

I am also thinking of getting bluetooth installed at the same time.

So, some good speakers ( polk,memphis,alpine ) that sound near bose quality, some extra bass ( the speakers may provide all the base I need ), I guess I would need an amp to push some good speakers, some sound deadening stuff, and bluetooth.

About how much for that to be done at a custom shop ?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Floyd

So it sounds like you need three things - something like a Cleansweep to get your stock CD in order, a 4-channel amp & 2 pairs of speakers. The dampening in the front doors is a great idea too.

There's nothing terribly technical about that install, so any respectable shop can probably handle it. This is PGT's stomping grounds, he may know a good shop in your area. I'm thinking a good install should be under $400, with equipment maybe $1500 total depending on the quality of gear.

Incidentally, there's no magic about Bose systems, you can do better than that pretty easily.

$300 for front speakers, $150 for the rear, $500 for an amp, $350 on a CleanSweep, and $200 on a sub enclosure = $1500. Add in about $225 for install, plus about $75 in cabling and you are at $1800 installed. (without cutting a deal)

Plenty of shops around I could recommend....avoid Best Buy and Circuit City. There are cheaper and more expensive ways, but those price points will satisfy your goals.

Not a fan of the Polks or Infinity's...better speakers can be sourced for the same money.

It all comes down to the brands you want to choose....the lineup varies from shop to shop, so you need to choose both and possibly compromise based on what your chosen shop carries.

I've heard the name, but never seen their work nor come across them. I've been out of the business for almost six years now and that's a lifetime in the 12V biz.

I used to work at Myer-Emco.....they have a solid rep, but as with any shop, it all depends on the person doing the job and whether they cut corners. The good thing about Emco, they go the extra mile to be sure you are happy. They aren't the cheapest in town and aren't focusing much on 12V anymore (with Best Buy picking up the protected big names like Alpine and Rockford Fosgate), but if you want, I can get you in touch with someone competent there.

Where do you live in NoVA?

yeah....that's the closest one. I used to be at Fairfax.....let me know if you want to pursue something with them and I'll call a buddy to find out which installer and sales weenie you should talk to. Nobody's left from when I was there. ;)

Id say $1200-1300 for a full system would be the least amount youre going to spend. $1800-2000 will get you a very nice system though. Check out Boston Acoustics, ED, CDT, Focal, ect for speakers. You will need the JL Cleansweep and either a 4 channel amp and a mono amp or a 5/6 channel amp. Figure ~$150 for wires and amp kits and ~$300 for install. You also have to decide if you want a subwoofer or not- if you want the JL Stealthbox or if you want an actual enclosure taking up space in your trunk.

Archived