LegacyGT.com

Electrical Problem - 2006 SE

:iam: Having an electrical problem with my new 2006 Legacy SE. The clock/temp, radio, map lights, and door panel lights sometimes do not work. When this happens the keyless remotes and the alarm system do not work as well. I've had the car about 2 weeks and this started within a day or two and has become progressively worse to the point where now these things do not work most of the time. I'll be taking it back to the dealer but I was curious if anyone else had this problem and if anyone knows what the route cause is? Thanks for your response.

:iam: Having an electrical problem with my new 2006 Legacy SE. The clock/temp, radio, map lights, and door panel lights sometimes do not work. When this happens the keyless remotes and the alarm system do not work as well. I've had the car about 2 weeks and this started within a day or two and has become progressively worse to the point where now these things do not work most of the time. I'll be taking it back to the dealer but I was curious if anyone else had this problem and if anyone knows what the route cause is? Thanks for your response.

Have you tried wiggling each fuse in the fusebox?

Yeah if its not the fueses you could have bigger problems man...If you check all them all and still have the problem......hit the dealer...

And try and "video" the problems occuring, cuz you KNOW it won't happen when you bring it in ;) That way you have proof, and don't have to deal with the hassle.

• 3 weeks later...
Had the car to a dealer yesterday 4/18 and was very disappointed at the experience. As Murphy's Law would have it the car was working fine when we got to the dealer. They tried a few times to replicate the problem but everything worked fine no matter what they tried. They basically said that they could not even begin to work on it until they could see the problem for themselves. What utter BS! I would think with the list of things that don't work when this intermittent problem occurs that they could look at an electrical schematic and find the point that all of these items have in common and check it out. Ah, but lady luck was with us and when we started the car up to leave the dealer the problem happened. We immediately got the technician to come out to the car. He took a quick look at it and said he never saw anything like it. Now they want the car for a day which I will be taking it in on Thursday 4/27. I'm a bit concerned with the puzzling look on the tech's face. Starting to worry I have a lemon. I already looked up the name of several lawyers who specialize in lemon law. Hate to go that route but if they can't fix it Subaru will pay!

And try and "video" the problems occuring, cuz you KNOW it won't happen when you bring it in ;) That way you have proof, and don't have to deal with the hassle.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Like I said man, get it on video........it always happens that way. So glad it happened before you left.....

They might just have to replace the ECU every now and again computers do funny things......but who knows with electrical stuff, could be a mouse chew'n on a wire ;)

Keep us posted

Lemon Law!!!??? Christ,, you've only had the car two weeks and your considering a lawyer?? If your car had a serious problem fr a long period of time that the dealer couldnt fix after repeated tries I mite have some sympathy.

But sweet Jesus give me and your Subaru a break.:icon_roll

He took a quick look at it and said he never saw anything like it. Now they want the car for a day which I will be taking it in on Thursday 4/27. I'm a bit concerned with the puzzling look on the tech's face. Starting to worry I have a lemon. I already looked up the name of several lawyers who specialize in lemon law. Hate to go that route but if they can't fix it Subaru will pay!

The more I read this part the more I laugh,,cliff notes;

The car goes to the dealer, tech has a puzzled look,Subaru will try to fix,your concerned,OMG I may need a lawyer!!!!!!!:lol: :lol:

Sorry fr the rant,but sometimes,,,,,,,,

How do you expect them to fix a problem they can't reproduce?

I'll bet I could tell you where the problem is.....

...one of the harnesses that plug into the engine compartment fuse box (drivers side behind the battery) is not fully seated into the fuse box. They plug in from the bottom...have your dealer un-plug them all, apply di-electric grease to the contacts and then plug them back in and make sure they are fully seated (clipped) into place and your problem will not re-occur.

Of course had they called the Subaru Tech -Line, they would already know this....

Scans007 and Opie’s responses are representative of the reason I posted to this board. Ideas on what the problem and/or remedy might be not criticism of how I’m handling the problem. How easy is it for someone so distant from the problem to rationalize how the dealership handled it or to characterize my reaction as irrational.

Jagcars26: I fully intend on giving them a chance to fix it. I was using rhetoric to articulate my resolve to have Subaru take care of the problem. My advice to you would be to put away the Vaseline and the other pictures like your avatar, move out of the trailer, and actually try to develop a real social life. People will like you more if you try not to sound like a smug and arrogant a*shole.

Thanks again scans007 and Opie for your thoughtful comments.

I'll bet I could tell you where the problem is.....

...one of the harnesses that plug into the engine compartment fuse box (drivers side behind the battery) is not fully seated into the fuse box. They plug in from the bottom...have your dealer un-plug them all, apply di-electric grease to the contacts and then plug them back in and make sure they are fully seated (clipped) into place and your problem will not re-occur.

Of course had they called the Subaru Tech -Line, they would already know this....

What you say makes perfect sense and I suggested to the dealer that they find the point in the electrical system that all of the failing instruments have in common. I even gave them a written list of every instrument that stops working. I understand it would be better if they could see it themselves but short of that could they not do any diagnostics based on what I told them? Especially given the problem is intermittent and not easily replicated. To send me away basically saying there was nothing they could do was just beyond belief to me. After all we were not talking about a $12 toaster. I just spent over $20k on a new car!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Like I said man, get it on video........it always happens that way. So glad it happened before you left.....

They might just have to replace the ECU every now and again computers do funny things......but who knows with electrical stuff, could be a mouse chew'n on a wire ;)

Keep us posted

I don't own a video recorder but your suggestion is excellent. If they continue to be unable to replicate the problem I will borrow my brother's video cam. Thanks for the idea.

I think Opie is on the right track. Almost all those systems share Mainbox Fuse #8. So if it's not the connector to the Mainbox, then the fuse may be flaky. Many times a fuse can develop a hairline crack which can cause intermittent problems. Try replacing the #8 fuse and see if it fixes the problem (even if the fuse "looks" ok). A cheap fix if that's what it turns out to be.

• 2 weeks later...
For the benefit of anyone in the future who may have this problem, it has been repaired. After hours of wire tracing by a Subaru technician they found a loose connection. It is working fine now. Thanks to all of you who offered helpful advice. I really appreciate your input.

• 1 year later...

Archived