LegacyGT.com

Autometer Phantom II match? Place opinion.

skibum761

skibum - Dangit, I was *almost* able to help you out on this one!

I actually recently purchased a PhantomII voltmeter, but later decided against installing it (and thus returned it) since I am on the GReddy Informeter group-buy!

Sorry, bro! :(

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 3 weeks later...

Update -

Night-time color-match on my new AutoMeter SportComp II (which shares the same LED-backlighting as the Phantom II series) voltmeter is a *perfect* match for our stock illumination.

However, it's way, way too bright at night, even at matching "Ill.6" on our dash.

Bump our dash lighting up to "daytime" level, though, the match is right-on.

Is there a way to dim gauges using our stock wiring?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a way to dim gauges using our stock wiring?

You should be able to tap into the output of the dimmer switch on the dash...that is if the switch is a rheostat (i.e.- variable resistor).

My old Cyberdyne FP guage in my Mustang has a day/night brightness that automatically switches to the night level when you turn your lights on. It has a seperate input to tap into your dash light feed, but you cannot adjust the dimming level though.

^ Thanks, bro! :)

I apologize for not having updated this thread, but brother eL GaTo also pointed out this tap - the "purple" wire behind the dimmer control by the driver's left knee - a few days ago.

:)

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

The dimmer doesn't work for dimming out aftermarket gauges. It seems to feed another module... that actually drops the voltage.

Instead, I wired in a rheostat and found that ~ 150 ohms will drop the LED brightness on Sport-Comp II's to factory brightness at ILL. 6.

Hey bro,

Sorry 'bout the late reply - didn't have time to check the boards this weekend....

Thanks for the update and the tech-tip! :D

If I remember correctly, when I hooked up the steering wheel controls I found that the brightness was regulated on ground. I don't know if aftermarket gauges will support this...

I guess you could always tap the right ground wire.... but then the entire gauge power gets regulated.... which I guess could be bad. Most gauges have an illumination wire to keep the regulated source separate from the main power.

Good thing I can just shut my cubby if things get too bright :icon_bigg. Actually I can just purchase a rheostat and call it done.

I guess you could always tap the right ground wire.... but then the entire gauge power gets regulated.... which I guess could be bad. Most gauges have an illumination wire to keep the regulated source separate from the main power.

Good thing I can just shut my cubby if things get too bright :icon_bigg. Actually I can just purchase a rheostat and call it done.

+1... instead of digging in and splicing all the dash wiring harnesses.... I think a simple rheostat on the +12 = teh WIN!

Instead, I wired in a rheostat and found that ~ 150 ohms will drop the LED brightness on Sport-Comp II's to factory brightness at ILL. 6.

What was the rating on the rheostat and where did you get it? I did a quick search at Radio Shack and found some potentiometers... but I do not know if they are the same thing.

Also, did you hook this up to the illumination wire, or the 12vdc wire?

Archived