LegacyGT.com

New Ultra-High Perf All Season Tire.. Any experience?

IwannaSportSedan

I vowed never to ever own or buy another Bridgestone tire after my piss poor RE-92 experiences.

You can buy a certain tire from each manufacturer and feel the same about that manufacturer. Every tire is a compromise and these compromises cannot appeal to everyone.

My vote for replacement tires are Kumho ASX for an "all season" tire, or, if I get new rims and tires while the RE92's are still in great shape, i'll get some Kumho SPT's.

I liked my other sets of Kumho's in the past and the above are all well-rated, especially for the seroiusly low retails.

I'll keep my RE92's on stock rims for winter use. Yes, I said it.

My vote for replacement tires are Kumho ASX for an "all season" tire, or, if I get new rims and tires while the RE92's are still in great shape, i'll get some Kumho SPT's.

I liked my other sets of Kumho's in the past and the above are all well-rated, especially for the seroiusly low retails.

I'll keep my RE92's on stock rims for winter use. Yes, I said it.

I have been running 18" Kuhmo ASX's for about a week and a half, so far I am very impressed! (I have Hankook IceBear 300s on my stock rims)

They are super sticky and ride fairly quiet. The sidewalls are stiff but not TOO stiff for the daily commute....and at $80 bucks each, I am super happy with them!!

rporter- You are right on. My combo is perfect for my situation. I like to carve up the twistys and on ramps once in a while but hardly ever push the car towards it's absolute limit. If I often used the car at the track, it would be a different story, but as far as on public roads the ASX's have PLENTY of grip.

...and the above are all well-rated, especially for the seroiusly low retails.

I understand where you are coming from there, and I am very big on value most of the time. performance per dollar.

But after driving mediocre tires on various vehicles, and then upgrading to better/top-line tires that deliver what they claim, Tires are one thing, along with brake pads that value is out the window, and real quality and honest performance (almost regardless of price, almost.) is king.

The trick is, that I want performance in tires that will be real performance tires that aren't easily over-driven in the dry, very competent in the wet, and can handle an early-season or late snowfall.

The new Legacy is going to be the everyday commuter car, and traveling to various destinations, and my schedule may mean I might not have a chance to change summer tires to winter tires at short notice or back, if the weather changes. (It is Iowa, the weather changes drastically on short notice in the spring and fall, and even sometimes in the winter.)

obviously an ultra-high-perf tire is going to be greatly summer and dry-performance biased, and may not be the full 10/10ths performance tire of a full summer tire, like the SO3 Pole Position, or the T1R. The Legacy isn't going to be an alternative to a 997 Turbo, either. Nor will it be just simply a grocery getter. I want an 8.5-9.5/10 perf tire that has a wide range of usefullness, rather than a track tire that is useless when the sky turns dark.

The question is, what fits the bill the best. Toyo Proxes 4, P-Zero Nero M/S, and ContiExtremeContact were the three big options, and the new Bridgestone RE960 A/S showed up... and as I said. I have top-end Bridgestones on my truck (different set of conditions, but extremely competent at those.) and am very happy. I am hoping the 960s are another positive product in that way.

I have heard good things about Nitto, Hankook, Kumho, Avon, General's new UHP tire, and some others... but they seem like "value" to me, when I am looking for the real best jack-of-many-trades. I am not sure that low price can be included in that list of qualities without kicking some other traits off the list.

You tend to get what you pay for, unless something is too good to be true. That is why I research these things so far in advance. Plus I am just a lunatic. Other people would not want to be alone with my thoughts... all the minutea, and OCD detail...

And BTW, the reason I mentioned about what tire size my legacy may or may not have... is I am still unsure if I will be getting an 07 GT or a Spec B, or perhaps 07 GTs will get an 18" wheel option... who knows... but either way, I will probably be running OE or aftermarket 17"s winter, and aftermarket 18"s in the other three seasons. Just a matter of getting the OE RE92s bought back and swapped for a set of some more serious treads.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I wanna, I have a few words for you =). We have similar interests in tires (I am in the northeast). For the winter, I have run both the Mich arctic alpins and the Blizzak MZ-01. I really liked both tires, although the alpin was a better all-rounder. I am in the market for new snows this year, so I'm thinking about this too. Regarding your summer tire choice - are you sure you want an a/s?

I just mounted a set of Avon M500's on my A4 in 225/45/17, and I really like them a lot. I wanted excellent performance, with some emphasis on wet performance, and very nearly bought the ContiSport Contact 2 - which has had excellent reviews. I also wanted good ride and noise comfort, so the pilot sport, pole position, 050, and tires like that were out of the question. Anyway, I think the Conti is an excellent tire, slightly better than the Avon, but I wanted to save the $35 a tire on my 8 yr old A4 and went with the Avons. Probably end up with the contis on my Legacy GT, though.

Anyway, with only a few miles on the tires, I really like them a lot. They are unbelievably quiet - I can't hear them at all even at high speed. The tread is still very squirrelly because they are so new, but grip seems quite good. The ride is excellent - very comfortable.

I had previously run the Kuhmo 712's, and I will never buy a cheap tire again - I almost didn't buy the Avon's because they are so cheap, but the reviews have been great, and they are popular in the UK. I figure the driving conditions there won't be too far from new england summers.

From what I have read, the RE750 and the Avon M500 are pretty similar in overal performance.

Good luck.

• 5 weeks later...
The RE960 A/S is going to be tested for real by tirerack.com next week (according to sales rep Luke on NASIOC.com ). Hopefully the results show shortly thereafter. I have an interest in these tires.

Archived