LegacyGT.com

Tell me if its a good deal! v. 2006 Subaru Legacy GT 5spd.mt

Get up to walk out, they will come down. Unless there are absolutley no other dealers around. Up here in new england there is a Subaru Dealer every 20 miles. $500 dollars under Invoice, will still make them about $700-$1,000 worth of profit. Even more if you are financing with them. If all else fails PM me and I can sell you one for far less, as long as you don't mind driving up, or having it shipped out.

Rule of thumb is; if the rebate is less than $750 take the special financing, if it is more take the rebate. Just make shure they don't pound you on the rate. It is good to know your credit score. If it is above 720, ask them what their lowest rate is, then compare it with Credit Unions in your area. Buy rate is right around 5.5%-6% FOR GREAT CREDIT.

As for Holdback or dealer incentives. It will depend on which market you are in, but is usually 4% of MSRP, about $1100 on the Legacy you are looking at. A few volume dealers will give up all the holdback. We have been know to take a loss or two to get a car delivered.

I just picked up an '06 GT Limited 5 speed in Western PA, and paid around $26,000. The vehicle was on the lot, and the only option was the rocker panel trim. It was one of only two black 5-spds in the Western PA area, and I was still able to get it under invoice.

It always pays to do your research and shop around. I found Consumer Reports to be very valuable. You can go to consumerreports.com, and order a pricing report for $12 that lists all of the factory-to-dealer incentives and holdbacks available in your market. Subtract the incentives and holdbacks ($864 according to CR) from the invoice, and that gives you a bottom line price of about $25,500. Add in invoice price for the options, and negotiate up from there.

Some dealers won't give up the holdback on their vehicles, some will. In any case start below and negotiate up. I'm not sure what options you are looking at, but $28K does sound pretty high.

Get up to walk out, they will come down. Unless there are absolutley no other dealers around. Up here in new england there is a Subaru Dealer every 20 miles. $500 dollars under Invoice, will still make them about $700-$1,000 worth of profit. Even more if you are financing with them. If all else fails PM me and I can sell you one for far less, as long as you don't mind driving up, or having it shipped out.

yep...I did that once and the salesman literally ran after me.

had an acura salesguy doing the same...come on, its only $500. I said I would rather that $500 be in my pocket and walked out. trust me, they are still making money. if they don't budge...you can always go back if the $500 isn't such a big deal.

Go to carsdirect.com and spec out a car you want. Print out the options/price and take it to the dealership. Ask them to do better otherwise buy it from carsdirect. Just an example a LGT Limited 5-spd w/ no options has invoice price + Destination of $27,407 according to Edmunds. Carsdirect price for my area is $26,057 including destination. That's ~$1400 below invoice and Carsdirect needs to make a few hundred too so the dealer can do better than $1400 below and still make money.

Go to carsdirect.com and spec out a car you want. Print out the options/price and take it to the dealership. Ask them to do better otherwise buy it from carsdirect. Just an example a LGT Limited 5-spd w/ no options has invoice price + Destination of $27,407 according to Edmunds. Carsdirect price for my area is $26,057 including destination. That's ~$1400 below invoice and Carsdirect needs to make a few hundred too so the dealer can do better than $1400 below and still make money.

Carsdirect.com does not actually sell you the car, they sell your information to several dealerships local to you. It will cost the dealership a monthly fee. I think it costs my dealership about $1,400 a month. Your best bet is to go to www.subaru.com find the 3 or 4 dealerships closest to you and ask for a quote from all of them. Most dealerships will give you their lowest price up front, because they figure they will only get one shot at it. As long as your willing to drive, you can always find it cheaper.

Dealer is willing to sell for $500 over invoice. Even if its not on their lot.. so invoice with the options is about 28k.... and incentives are also included (1500 cash back or financing)...

You think its a good deal? Or am I getting worked?

Today I placed an order for an 06 Legacy GT Billiant Silver Metalic 5MT. With options the MSRP was $31,643 and the listed invoice price from KBB and Edmunds was $28,539 (which did not include the chrome rocker trim). Subtract the $1500. factory to customer rebate and the price is $27,039. I ordered the vehicle for $26,539. Now, I may have been able to do better if I felt like debating holdbacks and volume discounts. However, I considred this to be a fair arrangement for both myself and the salesman. You should be able to do better. If not, and your serious about purchasing and are willing to travel to Connecticut, I can pass along the dealership and sales persons names. I'm sure they would consider a similiar sale.

Also, I'm new to the forums and apologize if I've posted prices or other information that normally shouldn't be left for other threads.

Brassbuttons

Today I placed an order for an 06 Legacy GT Billiant Silver Metalic 5MT. With options the MSRP was $31,643 and the listed invoice price from KBB and Edmunds was $28,539 (which did not include the chrome rocker trim). Subtract the $1500. factory to customer rebate and the price is $27,039. I ordered the vehicle for $26,539. Now, I may have been able to do better if I felt like debating holdbacks and volume discounts. However, I considred this to be a fair arrangement for both myself and the salesman. You should be able to do better. If not, and your serious about purchasing and are willing to travel to Connecticut, I can pass along the dealership and sales persons names. I'm sure they would consider a similiar sale.

Also, I'm new to the forums and apologize if I've posted prices or other information that normally shouldn't be left for other threads.

Brassbuttons

I was quoted a price very close to this before tax and title. Is 26,500 the going rate with the 1500 rebate?

I paid 500 over MSRP for my LGT limited. 06 of course. So im not sure. 29,435 for mine at 4.9APR. No down payment, and i was upside down on my WRX trade in by 1200. Total price for me was like 35,300. 63 month finance. 565 a month. Yes i know thats high, but i didn't want to put any money down so yeah...

I just bought my 2006 "Used" LGT 5-Speed for $24,900 with 137 miles on it. It was one of the "Wind Damage" Cars that Subaru sold at auction to Subaru dealers. The car had absolutely no paint damage and had the full factory warranty (Except for Paint). Do a search under Autotrader for Used 2006 cars. There a few left (A total of 1,400 hit the market in January).

I went to 6 dealerships in the state. I went to each one with a pad of paper and a pen, wrote down their best price and said I'd get back to them. I called each place with the "best" deal from another and asked if they could beat it. It was a REAL pain in the ass to drive all over the place harassing people and telling them their "it only lasts til the end of today" story to shove it up their backside. I ended up pitting 2 dealerships against each other for my business. One treated me awesome, the other, not as awesome and I got the car for a LOT less than I thought. The dealership that was better, did NOT have the car on the lot and had it brought in for me.

Basically, you should go to edmunds.com, price out the car you want and bring that report with you. I brought a consumer report with me to read while I was waiting. Call this dealership and tell them you've found a better deal and will they beat it. Invoice on these cars is what, 27k? I got mine for 25K and I got almost 2K more than my trade in was worth (according to an average of kbb and nada values). Don't take the first offer you're given. Shopping around to get the best price is a better option.

I finally purchased through Metrowest Subaru in Natick, MA and highly recommend them.

As was said earlier, be aware of your credit score! I called MANY local credit unions to get their best financing rate based on my credit score. I ended up financing through the dealer because they were cheapest. IF the salesperson is only willing to give you $500 OVER invoice, you aren't getting a great deal on the car.

Sorry for the rant. I just don't want to see other people make that mistake on buying a new car.

OH and PS- I'm a 24 year old female and I went into these dealerships ALONE (except for 1 with my bf, but not the 1 I ended up buying from). If *I* can do it, anyone can (and no, I didn't dress or act a certain way.. I was just very firm in my negotiations). hahah they said they've never had such an aggressive shopper and I was like, well, you need to make money, and I need to save it, so let's find a happy medium.

I live in Canada and I am looking to import from Seattle. Just over the phone I got a quote for $25,900 off the lot. This included the rebate. 06 GT LTD. I think that is a pretty good deal. With the conversion that work to about $30K CAN. Here they sell the same car for $42K CAN :confused:

Not sure if this helps...

I got my 06 Spec B for $31,200...sticker was $35,000.

But I also leased a tribeca limited for my wife on the same day..not sure if I got a better deal cause of that.

Archived