LegacyGT.com

Stupid Questions.. But Does the Hood Scoop

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll notice that your intercooler is melted if you pop the hood and see this...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/meltedintercooler.jpg

It is best to just use the soap free soap when you wash the car. This is why carbon fiber hoods are in such high demand. They are dirt resistant and you don't have to wash them and therefore there is less risk of getting any water or soap (if you still use that kind of stuff) in the intercooler.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

The holes, or "hood scoops," in all the GT hoods are manufacturing defects affecting > 75% of all 2005 LGTs and the 2006 ones made so far. SoA is about to announce a recall of all affected LGT hoods, but the replacements will be in short supply for a while. Call or visit your dealer ASAP and made sure you're first in line for a fixed hood! Don't drive in the rain without it!

If your intercooler has gotten wet already it's probably on the verge of failing. Intercoolers usually fail by melting, and when you have a top-mounted one such as ours that means it'll melt all over your engine. Make sure you get yours replaced under warrenty! If your dealer doesn't have any fixed hoods in yet then coat your intercool as LotusSeven suggested until you can get a new one with your new hood.

I think many of you aren't taking the warnings in this thread seriously. I suggest you think again - this is what happened to a WRX owner who got one of the defective hoods and didn't get it replaced in time:

82254586_beesinscoop.jpg.597d1b9935dac240aa0c3ac08a1543ec.jpg

1575162427_beespic00004.jpg.8e7e6b97475230f6b06ba95cdd3e4bea.jpg

1567496974_beespic00016.jpg.2f542d3ace5068260f20349638b62616.jpg

I think many of you aren't taking the warnings in this thread seriously. I suggest you think again - this is what happened to a WRX owner who got one of the defective hoods and didn't get it replaced in time:

That was, perhaps, the weirdest Subaru story I can remember in about 5 years!

wow thats insane, look at all those dam bees. bet thats the last time he uses soap and water to wash the car. dam soa using cheap metal :icon_mad:.

im going to the dealer on monday to preorder my new hood without the dreaded scoop.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

I remember that guy. He used honey scented soap. Not only did it FUBAR his intercooler but it also attracted bees. He is lucky he didn't live closer to the treeline. He could have attracted bears to dump on his car too.

Has anyone upgraded to the STi outercooler? I've heard they are more durable and don't have the problems that some of the intercooler style have. Is the rain in Japan so much different that maybe just a simple JDM Legacy GT intercooler swap should protect me?

OCDETAILS BLOG

In Japan rain always falls toward the right side of cars, so the forward-facing holes aren't as big a problem. In the US rain is supposed to always fall towards the left side, but because of global warming it now falls towards the front. Japanese rain is just too JDM to have been affected by global warming so far.

Some folks have attempted to import JDM rain, but with little success.

Was that on April 1st though? If not then I agree that sandpaper suggestion was low and uncalled for.

But, if someone can't figure out that they shouldn't ask for or follow advice on April 1st, then they're gonna have bigger problems in life than a ruined bumper or intercooler.

If you're dumb enough to use sandpaper on your bumper ...

Of course, it's also possible that the person was giving good adivice on how to wet-sand, etc, and the Passat driver didn't follow directions, in which case, then the guy was still an idiot!

It doesn't matter what day of the year it is. If you ask a stupid question like "will water hurt the intercooler" then you are going to get hazed like this. :lol: People need to get it through their heads that your engine isn't made of sugar and isn't going to melt when it gets wet. Obviously if the intercooler was going to be hurt by moisture then it wouldn't be placed under a hood scoop that is obviously going to get water on it. or better yet, there wouldn't be front mounted intercoolers at all. Hell, the STi purposely sprays water on the intercooler to improve performance, so people need to just get it straight that water doesn't hurt the intercooler.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Of course, it's also possible that the person was giving good adivice on how to wet-sand, etc, and the Passat driver didn't follow directions, in which case, then the guy was still an idiot!

+1

I have wet sanded a car before, it's not something anyone should do unless they have practice.. :)

:stupid:

That too. Not knowing much or anything about intercoolers is one thing. But not being able to figure out the effect sandpaper will have is another story.

Nope, it wasn't wetsanding. And it wasn't April 1. The person told him to use a coarse grit sandpaper and then go down to a finer paper. I don't remember all the details but I just remember the guy ended up taking it to a body shop and they told him it was F'd up and he'd have to get it repainted.

I agree that it's common sense but judging by some of the replies to the "soap on the intercooler" comment, not everyone is totally comfortable with how their cars work.

So, if I understand you guys correctly.....If I sand down my IC it becomes soap resistant??

You were right...it took me an hour to sand off all the upward facing fins, but it seem much better now...the soap just runs right off. :)

OMG:icon_surp ,,,

I use 80 grit sandpaper to remove the bugs and such from my front bumper,,this is wrong!????:confused:

j/k j/k j/k j/k j/k April 2 disclaimer.

OK Post #69 & greater were made today, April 2nd, and not April 1st...... April Fool's Day for those who "may not know"!!

In conjunction wth my AP, my real "secret weapon" for running in the 13.3Xs is the foamy green soap and "clearcoat protectorant" from the drive-through carwash that keeps my IC fresh & clean!!

Ron

Archived