LegacyGT.com

2.5 turbo engine...longevity?

dutchie3

Hi all,

First of all, I think this board is great. What would we do these days without these things, I don't know.

Anyway, I've been lurking on this board for a few weeks. I have narrowed down my car search to 3 cars, the legacyGT being at the top after I drove one. The other cars on my list are the Lexus IS300, and the acura TSX.

I am buying used and hope to have this car for a good 8 years. I put around 12,000 kms on a car a year.

My question is, how does the powertrain, particularly the 2.5 in the legacy GT hold up over the long run? I am looking for a car that will last me a few years like I mentioned, without significant repairs (my last car was a ford contour SVT, a fun car, but a moneypit). Both the lexus and the acura have very good long term reliability reviews, especially the lexus with the bullitproof inline 6. The main reason I would go for the legacy over the others is the power increase and the awd (which I could live without). But I don't want to sacrifice long term reliability. Can anyone comment on this...I've been doing a bit of reading on the subaru, but I wouldn't mind hearing your opinions.

Thanks,

Richard

I too had the same question in mind when I was researching Subaru's. My past three cars have been Hondas. I've read quite a few stories and posts on Subarus with 250k plus on them. I believe that their reliability is better than domestic and close if not equal to Honda and Toyota. Consumer reports last year ranked Subaru as number 1 with having the least few owner complaints and issues. (I'm not a CR fan but that's statisical info..I believe) As with any engine, maintenance is important, I'm obsessive with oil changes and using high grade oil and filters. I drove an 86 Ford Taurus to 260,000 on the original engine and sold it as it still ran great. Best of luck with whatever car you choose.
- The Mortgage Man

yeah, our other car is a 98 honda accord. still drives like new with 142k on it. just did the timing belt. keeping it until it disintigrates.

I didn't know they were that high on the list for fewest complaints. That is a good thing. I know the lexus rates as the #1 used sport/luxury car out there...owners are very satisfied also. They are pricey though. an 04 with more miles will go for more than the 05 subaru with a lot less miles.

I am still leaning towards the subaru...will be driving another one today, this time in the rain to see how the awd hooks up.

Yeah,...I think the Consumer Reports info is posted on this site somewhere. I'll see if I can find a link. You'll love the AWD in the rain. All though some people will chime in and tell you the original RE92's are no good. I haven't had an issue as of yet.
- The Mortgage Man

Edit: It was 04 for Consumer Reports ranking Subaru #1 Here's a few good threads.....also type in "Subaru Reliability" into the search box a lot of good info.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22305&highlight=consumer+reports

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21280&highlight=consumer+reports

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29289&highlight=consumer+reports

- The Mortgage Man

Welcome.

I too had a SVT contour but again mine was a money pit. Spent a lot of time on contour.org. Overall the GT has a very well built drivetrain. There are plenty of people who have put plenty of miles on it and others who have put plenty of stress on it. There are a few annoyances such as the stutter and the clutch stink but those do not affect all cars and can be mostly fixed. I have 13,000 abusive miles on my car without a problem. The AWD not only adds a some safety in limited traction situation but also adds a ton of fun in the dry. Judging from the number of trouble free stageII legacys on here I think the legacys reliability should come close to that of the Lexus and Acura. If you read on here you will find that the legacy has basically the same engine (different turbo etc.)as the WRX STI.... quite a stout motor.

the 2.5 is bulletproof, extremely reliable. my STi still has it's stock block and is holding 500whp+. virtually the same engine is in the LGT. I have no concerns about the longevity or quality of the subaru 2.5, have faith!

same question here....coming from a nissan maxima with 240K miles and was still running strong does have a concern with the GT turbo engine. The 2.5 normal aspirated engine is not a concern to me because it doesn't the complexity and high temperature operating environment like the turbo one. But I'm confident that today turbo engine is much improved from the ones 15 or 20 years ago when they died in less than 100k miles.

thanks for the replies...I checked out the consumer reports write ups. good info to know...even though I don't much care for consumer reports either ;).

Sounds as though the subaru will be pretty comparible to the hondas and toyotas out there. and with anything, the better you maintain it...the better it will treat you.

The TSX ... Great handleing ... not as fast or as all weather reliable as the Legacy

The IS 300 ... good engine, however MANY MANY years old, due for a redisign with the next year or so however

The Legacy, soft ride, not as much of a sports car as it is a daily driver, but the handling is very very good, it has been compared to BMW's. And you will never be able to get it stuck, it will jsut claw its way out of just about anything (i said just about lol haha).

I love my car ... basically.

And you will never be able to get it stuck, it will jsut claw its way out of just about anything (i said just about lol haha).

Only with the right tires. I managed to get stuck in the snow the day after I bought mine (used) with the stock tires :lol: I should've known better though - AWD does help a lot, but it's no substitute for the right tires.

same question here....coming from a nissan maxima with 240K miles and was still running strong does have a concern with the GT turbo engine. The 2.5 normal aspirated engine is not a concern to me because it doesn't the complexity and high temperature operating environment like the turbo one. But I'm confident that today turbo engine is much improved from the ones 15 or 20 years ago when they died in less than 100k miles.

remember oil & water cooled turbos on ours. not saying things dont get hot but get a crucial stat & help out removing heat off everything a little better/easier.

Even though I own one I too have wandered how long the legacy will last. I wanted a 300zx back in the day, and i remember reading that on turbo cars, the turbos usually need replacing somewhere after 100,000 regardless of how well it is maintained. I'm pretty confident it will last, but honestly the wrx is the first turbocharged engine in the u.s. and most of them probably don't have more than 60,000 on them at most. Yes I know that subaru has been doing turbo's since the 80's in japan. but as i recall japanease people usually get rid of there cars at 50,000 miles (it might be a law?).

Edit: It was 04 for Consumer Reports ranking Subaru #1 Here's a few good threads.....also type in "Subaru Reliability" into the search box a lot of good info.

That may be, but the 95-99 2.5l Outback motor is now rated, "Fair" or "Poor" depending on year. If you go to a site like ultimatesubaru that focuses on maintenance, you'll find hundreds of posts about problems with head gaskets.

If you maintain a modern car, you can drive them a lot of miles. The question is really more one of cost.

From 140-165K miles I put over $2,500 into my 97 OBW. I did so because I knew a relative was probably going to buy it. But my cost-per-mile would have been lower if I'd sold much earlier. Some people buy new and sell their cars with 50-60K miles. They essentially spend zero on maintenance.

It appears the 2.5 turbos will go over 100K miles without repair. Beyond that is hard t osay - I think most of the older turbos on the market are 2.0's, arent they?

WRX's don't count, AFAIK they're "rode hard and put away wet."

Who Dares Wins

スバル

IS 300 was just redesigned

yeah, I am not big on the new design. too much $$$ for the 250 for what you get. the 300 had more power. I find the new IS a little too camry looking...the prefer the old design and the straight six is a gem motor.

the tsx...interior, tranny, ride are top notch...power is lacking, so the all important fun factor is not there.

I maintain my cars well, but sometimes even that isn't enough for some cars (aka SVT contour). I am not that worried with the subaru as I plan on selling the thing 8 years down, and if I buy one with low enough miles, that will only put me at around the 130,000 km mark (which is around 80k miles or so). Also, I tend to drive the car in a spirited manner, hard in some instances, but an abuser I am not.

• 2 weeks later...

A stock 2.5T will last 200K miles with good Synthetic oil changes and proper maintenance. Hell, my old A4 unreliable 1.8T had the stock turbo and it was fine when I sold it at 140K miles.

There are two rules to remember when it comes to turbos:

1) Let the oil reach operating temp before you get too much into the boost

2) Let the car idle for a minute or two before shutting it off after running it hard. However, Subaru claims this second rule doesn't apply to there cars based on the way the coolant tank is oriented. The coolant will continue to cool the turbo through vaporization and convection.

A stock 2.5T will last 200K miles with good Synthetic oil changes and proper maintenance. Hell, my old A4 unreliable 1.8T had the stock turbo and it was fine when I sold it at 140K miles.

There are two rules to remember when it comes to turbos:

1) Let the oil reach operating temp before you get too much into the boost

2) Let the car idle for a minute or two before shutting it off after running it hard. However, Subaru claims this second rule doesn't apply to there cars based on the way the coolant tank is oriented. The coolant will continue to cool the turbo through vaporization and convection.

Thanks for the tips. I figure a lot of it has to do with proper maintenance. I always maintain my cars well. And because I drive them hard at times, I don't cheap out on oil etc. A buddy of mine in the contour SVT club had well over 360,000km on his car, with no issues.

curious....does the stock turbo have an internal waste gate? and if so, is it any worth adding an external one?

<b>VTGT</b>, Subaru brought some '91(?) - '93 Legacies into the US market with EJ22T engines. Now and then you find them, still running on their original engines and turbochargers. There's one here in northern California, a beautiful metallic red wagon, with about 185K on it.

They have been serving up turbo engines to some markets almost continuously since then.

Archived