LegacyGT.com

How To Raise The Rear Of A Gt Wagon?

I think this is the right subject area, if it's not I apologize.

How can I most easily raise the rear of a GT Limited wagon between 1-2". I tow a ATV in an enclosed trailer (1700lbs gross) and have the highest rise on the 1 1/4" insert there is. But the trailer tongue will still scrape coming in the driveway.

Can I change to standard Legacy wagon springs and do I need shocks too? Will the rear GT sway bar drag links be long enough?

Any advice greatly appreciated. I'm stuck with the car for another 2 years and don't want to get another car for towing. Getting a Spec 2+ clutch put in next week. Might get better brake pads too.

The crummy way might be to add an extra upper rubber doughnut to the rear shock. I am going to try that to raise my ION springs in the rear.

The great way would be a weight distributing hitch. http://www.mrtruck.net/wdh.htm

Once you tow with these, there is no going back. Because the hitch applies torque across the ball to put weight on the front wheels, it is that much less on the rear wheels. You can actually adjust the weight distribution front to rear.

THese are generally for heavy duty towing, but I think it makes all the more sense when trying to tow with a light vehicle.

Thanks a million (US$). I'd doubt that there's a weight distributing hitch for a Class 2 vehicle. And that would just reduce the weight on the rear axle. It only sags an 1" when I load up.

I've got a 3" increased height specialized ball but it needs a 1" hole in the receiver insert. Class 2's balls are all 3/4" holes. Just have to find a garage or machine shop with a power feed drill press.

Xenonk is right, but I wanted the handling for SOlO2. But heart problems knocked me out at the first event. (alias Turboman. remember?)

Thanks a million (US$). I'd doubt that there's a weight distributing hitch for a Class 2 vehicle. And that would just reduce the weight on the rear axle. It only sags an 1" when I load up.

Heres one. http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/WD/singlebar_WD_hitch.htm

Allows you to raise the ball also.

Thanks, I checked out the site. It requires a 2" receiver. A Class 2 hitch is always a 1.25" receiver. There are adapters from 1.25" to 2" but that would be getting awfully long and hairy. Have to ponder that one. Thanks again.

any way to move the atv farther back in the trailer, reducing tongue weight? it might give you enough clearance then to not scrape.

That's what I'll do. Supposed to be 10% tongue weight but I've never followed that and never had any sway problems. I'd like to get it around 50 lbs so I can lift it high enough to get it off the ball and pivot down the tongue dolly-jack.

Part of the lowness problem is none of the swing-up dolly jacks go low enough to set it on the ball. Problems, problems. Maybe if I swap on smaller diameter dolly castor. Of course it would push around by hand harder.

AIR shocks? Probably not for an LGT. If its just the driveway a couple of old 2x4s placed right will solve the problem. Also try cutting into the driveway at an angle, then straighten out.
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

AIR shocks? Probably not for an LGT. If its just the driveway a couple of old 2x4s placed right will solve the problem. Also try cutting into the driveway at an angle, then straighten out.

Thats a good idea, I used 2x10's to raise the car enough to get a jack under it. Can do the same thing to get the dolly wheel down in my parking place. Thanks for reminding me. ...gettin old.

I put generic air bags in coil springs to fix the droop in an old truck. I do not know if you can find a set that will fit in the GT coils or not but they do work and it maybe worth a shot. You plumb it to a tire air valve and adjust the pressure depending on how much "lift" you need.

I have no idea how it would effect your handling when empty. I am sure you could lower the pressure. But, the systems are not supposed to run without any pressure. So you would need to keep a few psi in there at all times.

Peace,

Greg

Archived