LegacyGT.com

Okay, so I'm a wheel & tire noob

djjuice

I'm looking to get new wheels & summer tires for my RBP 06 LGT. I've never bought wheels before, but thanks to the all the info on here (thanks Xenonk) I've learned a lot about what to look for. Here are some questions for y'all:

1. Do most people buy wheels sight-unseen? Or do you go to some kinda place that has a showroom, see the wheel you want to get in person *before* you buy?

2. Anyone have Advan Model 5 or Kreuzer V? These are near the top of my list. Any pics would be appreciated.

3. Our stockers are 215 width tires on 7" wide wheels. Besides the change in circumference, what's the downside to going to 225 width tires on the same 7" wheel?

Many thanks to all.

-Jon

3. not much at all, some people cant even tell the difference between the two when driving.
Is there any real upside [225 v. 215]? Wider tires doesn't mean bigger contact patch, just wider, so better for cornering but maybe worse for braking?

--Lee

Is there any real upside [225 v. 215]? Wider tires doesn't mean bigger contact patch, just wider, so better for cornering but maybe worse for braking?

--Lee

acually, wider does mean bigger contact patch.

area = length x width

but the tire compound is even more important than adding a little more width.

To a first order approximation, I always thought that area*pressure = weight on tire. The air pressure inside the tires pushing down on the contact patches is what is holding up the car. (Note I said approximation. Obviously, the stiffer the rubber, the less it holds. You can certainly see that decreasing pressure increases contact patch, which is why you decrease pressure when driving on a beach, etc.)

Keep the weight on the tire and inflation pressure constant, and the area will remain relatively constant. 215/45 and 225/45 are probably so close in construction (rubber stiffness), that I seriously doubt you will see much difference in total contact patch area between the two. The biggest change will be in the shape.

For example, last post here.

--Lee

--Lee

I dont see why it would be worse for braking, the tire goes under compression and the tires expand up front and creates a wider contact patch..

Keefe

Archived