LegacyGT.com

3.0R-B Suspension

After coming from an STI and 2 lowered WRX's, I think the logical answer is tires and a RSB....and better brakes of course. I too live in an area with garbage roads. For some reason people buy Subarus, then get on these boards and read other people's threads and realize they think they want something else. There were always people trying to give the STI a 'more luxurious, less bouncy ride.' The overwhelming solution on the internet was to put on STI JDM Pinks Lowering Springs....BS! Yes the car handled great and was more fun than just about anything else I have driven due to my skill, but the ride quality absolutely sucked (which I didn't knew and didn't mind at that time). Yet people would read other people's reports and it almost became propaganda--hype that these springs were the best for your car no question. Meanwhile, half these people live in areas where the roads are glass and they drive their car 500 miles a week. Like the STI will never ride like an M3 as many wanted for so many more reasons other than the suspension, the same goes for an OBXT. I realize guys on here have put on coilovers and lowered their Outbacks and that is fine (it sure looks damn good). All I am saying is research whatever you do thoroughly!....this means GETTING A TEST DRIVE FOR 10 MILES IN SOMEONE ELSE'S CAR FIRST TOO. Lowering an OBTX is much different than an LGT. My point is a RSB and tires is a great investment to make an OBXT a 'better' handling car/wagon. If you want it to handle like an LGT, buy one, before you rip your $33K wagon apart and realize you did more harm then good because someone on LGT.com said how great it would be. At least wait until real engineers come out with a fix for your problem.

For what it is worth, I have taken two thousand mile trips during the past month. On both occassions I was loaded with three passengers, and lots of luggage. I was pleasantly surprised that the suspension was very comfortable, and stable at speed even up to 100mph. (Not a sustained speed folks. Most of the time I traveled at 80-85 mph.) The rear end did not bounce or oversteer once. I currently have 4500 miles on the odometer. At these speeds and significantly loaded down, I averaged 25 mpg. The 3.0 purred along smoothly and used no oil on either trip. One trip was with break-in oil the other was with Mobil 1. Is it possible that Subaru had this kind of driving in mind when they put this suspension on the OB 3.0R? I'd like to think that they had something meaningful in mind other than cafe regulations.

Archived