LegacyGT.com

Surprisingly low power from new BMW engine

Quoted from Edmunds.com regarding the new BMW 3 Coupe:

"If you need more than a little wind in your hair to get excited about the 3 Series, the new 335Ci is the car to look for this summer. It will be the first application of the BMW's new twin-turbo, straight-six engine, a setup which delivers 306 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque from its 3.5 liters of displacement. Expect to see a retuned suspension, stronger brakes and bigger wheels and tires on the 335Ci as it's bound to be marketed as a high-performance alternative to the standard 3.0-liter models."

It would seem with turbocharging and additional displacement, this engine should be at least 15-20% more powerful from the factory than these numbers would indicate. Maybe it's a gross under rating to keep the M3 in its place from a marketing perspective, but I have to believe this would be an engine that could generate 400+hp and torque with minimal tuning.

Any other opinions out there?

--Marc

This has been discussed before. The point is that it has been tuned to provide the 295 lb-ft of torque available from as low as 1500 rpm. It also has piezoelectric direct injection as well and is tuned for fuel economy to a certain poiint. So yes, it surely can be tuned to better numbers I'm sure.

wow i better start shopping at the 33cent store...

dammit maybe its time that i just be stereo-typical and get into the gas station business...

the indian dude by the crib has like an ML and an E class from this crappy ass gas station he runs.....homer simpson must shop there a lot LOL

Quoted from Edmunds.com regarding the new BMW 3 Coupe:

"If you need more than a little wind in your hair to get excited about the 3 Series, the new 335Ci is the car to look for this summer. It will be the first application of the BMW's new twin-turbo, straight-six engine, a setup which delivers 306 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque from its 3.5 liters of displacement. Expect to see a retuned suspension, stronger brakes and bigger wheels and tires on the 335Ci as it's bound to be marketed as a high-performance alternative to the standard 3.0-liter models."

It would seem with turbocharging and additional displacement, this engine should be at least 15-20% more powerful from the factory than these numbers would indicate. Maybe it's a gross under rating to keep the M3 in its place from a marketing perspective, but I have to believe this would be an engine that could generate 400+hp and torque with minimal tuning.

Any other opinions out there?

--Marc

The engine is a 3.0 liter not a 3.5 liter. I think the other advantages of this power unit have been touched on by the other posters. I will of course give a full report on the car when I get a chance to drive it. The current motor in the 330i is a better top end motor than the Legacy GT has, and the new 335i should be a runner, that has big tuning potential. Steve Dinan is going to have a field day with this car.

I'll tell you now.....

As with ALL BMW powerplants....they have Clydesdale-power....not Horsepower.

The performance #'s back it up;)

Honda and Acura fudge about their Horsepower, and so does BMW. They just fudge in different directions.:icon_twis

I'm sure it will give our GTs something to think about.

They might make nice sleepers. A little tuning and you'd have something like an M3 in sheep's clothing, probably for less money too.

tom :)

Wide powerbands can be dull, to some degree - they don't feel as fast.

mehelouin, I'd have to agree that it may have tuning potential - but if BMW motorcycles are any indication, picking that ECU's brain is going to be a PITA.

The only limitation to the Legacy's top end power is the tiny stock turbo. If they'd give it a real hairdryer that could just hold stock boost till the shift point it'd really pick up the fun factor, and probably take almost a full second off the 1/4 mile time.

Archived