LegacyGT.com

2000 Subaru Legacy GT

Hello! I am in the process of getting rid of my '04 Saturn ION (lemon) and trading it in for a Subaru. I am currently looking at a 2000 Legacy GT Wagon. It has the 2.5 engine, and 123k. It has had the timing belt (I think they have belts, not chains) replaced as well as the seals changed when that service was done. It has also had every Subaru maint. performed. After some discussion with my coworkers, I was notified that they have head gasket concerns. Is that still a concern for the 2000? I am taking it as a demo tonight, and am taking it tomorrow night to have it checked out at a local private subaru mechanic (voted the best mechanic every year in town). The asking price is around 10, but I'm going to put in a lower bid. I'd like some information on this vehicle, your opinions, and just some general knowledge, considering this is the first non-Saturn I've ever bought (previous 3 saturn owner). I just posted in the New Members forum-so hello everyone, and thanks for you help! TommyH from CT recommended this as a great place to find help!

The 2000 2.5 doesen't have the same head gasket issues as the previous ones, but some do experience a slight external leak of the head gasket around the #4 cylinder which drips on the exhaust, causing a coolant smell. Subaru sells a cooling system conditioner to correct this problem and has extended the warranty for the head gaskets up to 100K but it looks like you will be past that. The other thing to look at would be if there is piston slap when the car is started in the morning which is also a common issue. Otherwise that model is very reliable in general.

honestly $10K might be a bit much. My brother just picked up a 2000 GT Limited sedan for $6500 with 132,000 miles on it. Granted we had about another $600 in work done on the car, but you might want to work on the price

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Archived