LegacyGT.com

RPM/redline/overspin

What exactly happens when you exceed the true redline? Everything is timed and turns together, I don't understand why there is a limit...

You can bend valve stems. I once owned a Toyota Tercel with a manual tranny and no tach. Bad combination I tells ya. After one too many freeway onramp excursions without having a redline to watch for and not generally giving a crap because I hated the car anyway, I managed to bend a valve. Toyota offered to replace the head for more than the entire car was worth at the time.

I cant figure why you guys would push the motor anywhere near redline anyway. This motor is so DONE @6K it's not even funny. Shifting beyond this is a complete and total waste. Just my opinion here but show me a dyno sheet that has a hp curve still climbing after 6K on the stock VF40. Most are done by 5500 nevermind even 6K I personally shift at or slightly before 6K when hammering.

better to stay at the top of second for a few seconds than have to shift to 3rd, then back down to second (or first) for the next turn at autox.

Archived