LegacyGT.com

Never buy a used car in the dark when your tired

OK...just bought an 05 2.5i w.16K and after two days of driving it I am quite happy it with it but have a tech question for you guys.

I have been having fun trying pushing it a little bit...but when I get the brakes hot and lay into the brakes some while cornering it has a light shimmy. Warped rotors?

The reason never to buy in the dark is because it looks like someone backed the car over a tall curb and scraped the whole grey plastic part...the dealership is replacing the bumper and repainting it...now when I get home from work and really look it over the front bumper is quite scuffed up. I think its something that can be buffed out...Black shows everything!

Thanks all...

You forgot rain. Never buy a car in the rain too. THey wanted us to pick our car up in the rain and we said no. We picked it up in brilliant sunchine the next day so we could see the paint/body.

The rotors are like this because of the crappy brake pads especially if the car has been sitting for awhile. You have to have the dealer turn the rotors under warranty. I had mine done about 4 weeks ago and so far so good. IF it comes back I will do what some people have done here and that is change the rotors and pads to aftermarket ones.

It was raining too actually! But I liked that because I could see how the AWD does compared to the Quadratec II in my Grand I was trading...

That's what I figured...I will have them turned to see how that does. Hopefully it will help for a bit and I will do some brakes this summer.

I have always done Raybestos is there a preferred brand with these cars?

Yea, good point you should always buy your car or take delivery of it on a clear bright day so you can see all the imperfections before you leave the lot. If you notice something weeks later I'm sure they would fix it, but also I'm sure they would question you and look at it loong and hard to make sure it was something that was there when you took delivery of it.

I took delivery of mine at night in the rain. Lucky for me nothing was wrong with my car.

Good luck with getting your car fixed!

take it home for a test drive, go up a mountain if there one nearby, some snow or rain is a plus

then get the car on a bright sunny day =)

hope everything is working out for u

Sorry for the thread hijack, but hows the horsepower boost for the 2.5i for 06'? Any differences?

You may not need to get the rotors turned. Brake pulsation is typically caused by the brake pads leaving uneven deposits on the rotors, typically when they reach the upper end of their temp range. Our stock pads are known for being bad in this respect.

I would only get the rotors turned as a last resort, as it shortens the lifespan of the rotor and increases the likelihood of future rotor warpage (less rotor mass to sink heat).

Cleaning the rotors with emery cloth should remove the pad deposits.

Alternately, you can sometimes remove the deposits by heating the pads back up with light brake pressure (such as slight left-foot braking while keeping the car at 30-40mph). Assuming the deposits are fairly fresh, this technique will lift the uneven deposits from the rotor.

Many Legacy/Outback owners have been bit by the stock pads leaving uneven deposits on the rotors. Most have been successful removing them without turning/planing the rotors.

A quick search for warped rotor should bring up threads that describe the light-brake technique with more detail.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the direction Rabid...you nailed it I think the search answered everything. Hard to tell how long those deposit have been on there...I will try the drag at low speed. When it goes in on Friday for the body work I may ask them to swap the pads out for OEM

I have a feeling aftermarket pads are on the short list. Looks like IIRC, Endless Vista, and Carbotech are the favs. I am not familar with them but will do a little googling tonight...have always been a fan of Raybestos.

as for the MTN's test drive I wish!!! I am stuck in Chicago...land of the flat and home to crappy weather.

• 2 months later...

Great thanks for the heads up.

I had the pads resurfaced...that did help but not under hard braking at high speeds. Had the rotors turned two weeks ago and BAM life is good.

This upgrade has moved down the list but I still want to upgrade the pads (maybe lines and rotors) someday because these brakes are good but not great.

My sister pre-paid the DJ for her wedding. He never showed up, and never called. So I drove at excessive speeds to my house and got a bunch of stereo equipment and a laptop and saved the day. The next day I noticed what I thought was warped rotors from heavy braking. It went away a couple days later, and now I believe it was probably this!

Thanks for easing my mind, and removing the confused look from my face!

Archived